• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake job advice requested

I have iron brakes and want to put new pads on before spring. The front rotor thickness is well above the 32mm service limit, but both sides have a .1mm lip at the edge where the pads don't overlap.

If I go with OEM pads, is there any reason to worry about this lip? The service manual says not to refinish the discs but doesn't mention anything about the wear lip limit. I'm assuming as long as they spec at the 10mm inboard measuring point they are ok, but I wanted to check with some of the experts here.

I've always replaced rotors and pads together, but the pads on this car wear really fast so that seems overkill. I have 6500 miles but with five track days. The current pads have plenty of street life left on them, but I want to hit Road America first thing in the spring and that track is brutal on brakes.

Thanks, I look forward to your input.

Steve

I don't think that there is any issue with new pads on used rotors, but I'd damn sure make sure that the pad does not have ANY opportunity to ride up on that lip...... If it did, it would obviously lift the pad up at a small angle but would take pad off the rotor, and thereby reducing brake force. I raced vintage formula cars for 12 years and I used the same rotors for years, but never recall having the ridge. Formula cars are light and easy on rotors.
If these were my rotors, I'd at least consider turning the lip off to make 100% sure that the lip would not interfere with the pad..... I cannot imagine that cutting off the lip would cause any harm to the rotor integrity. I figure you'll be at 180+ MPH at RA, and I'd damn sure not leave any doubts about my brakes....... But I always over did things, as I treated my race cars like airplanes, in that a failure at speed was not tolerable....... Just my 2 cents. A lot will depend on how comfortable you are with how well the new pads fit in the groove.......

BTW, would love to hear about your on track experiences with the car. I'm dying to get my car to the track, but haven't had the opportunity to do so in my first year of ownership. Good luck.......

I have iron brakes and want to put new pads on before spring. The front rotor thickness is well above the 32mm service limit, but both sides have a .1mm lip at the edge where the pads don't overlap.

If I go with OEM pads, is there any reason to worry about this lip? The service manual says not to refinish the discs but doesn't mention anything about the wear lip limit. I'm assuming as long as they spec at the 10mm inboard measuring point they are ok, but I wanted to check with some of the experts here.

I've always replaced rotors and pads together, but the pads on this car wear really fast so that seems overkill. I have 6500 miles but with five track days. The current pads have plenty of street life left on them, but I want to hit Road America first thing in the spring and that track is brutal on brakes.

Thanks, I look forward to your input.

Steve

Maybe PM the NSX Master Tech who posts here

Thanks Bricks. I didn't want to be presumptuous but am hoping Master sees my post.

nsx878, all good points. I'll take a closer look once I get it on the lift. I tore my shoulder up a few weeks ago, so garage time has been nil. I'm a month into the winter hiatus and already antsy for spring. Ha.

For perspective, I've been tracking my heavily modified 930 for seven years or so. It's light, has quick turn in, ridiculous brakes, and a tall but whomping power band. This makes for a fun, tricky car that requires management of momentum and high revs through the corners so the big turbo can come on quickly. No power steering, little brake assist and heavy clutch mean you're pretty wiped after a run.

It's taken me a bit to get used to the drastically different NSX, and I'm definitely still learning. It rained all day the first time at the track, but that turned out quite fun feeling out the balance of the car and the nannies under very slick conditions. Hard braking and acceleration were not on the agenda that day.

Over the next few visits I started to feel progressively more confident in how the car behaves, which is very consistent. It pretty much does exactly what you tell it to do. The turn in isn't super quick, but I suspect a lot of that is the stock Conti tires. More on those later. You feel the weight under braking, but surprisingly not at all in the corners. I never feel like I'm hanging on through a corner. I often find myself trail braking or saving the last downshift for the turn in point to get the rear to rotate a bit. I would never do that with the 930, I have to be done with braking before the turn or it gets all crossed up. I've lost the rear on the NSX a couple of times, but it's not dramatic, the car rights itself even in track mode. It's slow when that happens though, as it seems to rely more on cutting engine power instead of using the torque vectoring and/or brake drag to straighten out.

By my last day of the season, I finally felt like I could confidently push the car harder and harder each lap. I don't claim for a minute to be a racer that can hop in anything and be fast right away, and the combination of hybrid and AWD has taken me awhile to adjust to. You can get on the gas really early and take very different lines through corners, but that felt unnatural for quite some time and I couldn't talk my brain into ignoring my instincts. I shaved off almost two seconds a lap (1.9 mile track) that day and it was freezing cold on tires near the end of life, which made grip pretty tricky. The time gains were 100% from earlier throttle and playing with different lines.

The stock Conti tires are not great. They don't seem to have a sweet spot that I could find. The tend to swing from too cold and hard to overheating and greasy. The left rear takes most of the pressure at Blackhawk Farms due to it being clockwise and having a long sweeping right hander, and on my last day it was starting to come apart at the outside shoulder. I just bought a set of PS4, so I'm stoked to try those out.

I think Acura's choice of using solid face rotors was a miss. They do not have great cooling and even discolor a lot during a session. I've never noticed any fade, but our max session time is 20 minutes. I suspect much more than that and they would start to overheat. This has me thinking about just getting slotted rotors and new pads for track days and keep my current ones for day to day. They probably have 20,000 street miles left on them. I generally only get to one event a month and I have a lift, so swapping back and forth doesn't phase me. Life's big decisions.... LOL

Overall I think it's a great track car. It jumps off the corners and braking is consistent and stable. It could use more HP from the ICE. The acceleration softens a lot over 100. It will be interesting to see what top speed is at RA. I think the fastest two mile recorded has been in the high 180s, so even down the back straight I don't think it can get anywhere near 180. I doubt I'll have the guts to keep my foot in it through the kink either.

Hope you get a chance to hit a track sometime. What's around Colorado?

I have a bunch of gopro videos on youtube if you want to see what the track I go to most looks like. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr-x9WpPkI3U3AUJH2IVKKw/videos

Last edited:
If you use the OEM pads (which you really should...is there even an aftermarket option?) you should be fine.

Thanks Master. Hawk lists some for the Gen 2, but there's no data out there to know if they are any better. GiroDisc has some nice looking slotted rotors. I might go that route with Acura pads. The level of discoloration I see in the stock rotors on the track I go to concerns me for a track like Road America. Blackhawk is known to be semi-hard on brakes because of the corner configurations, but the fastest I've hit is 130, so it's a far cry from RA with it's three very fast straights.

Do you have any insight on why they went with solid-face rotors? I've never had a sports car that didn't have drilled rotors.

Do you have any insight on why they went with solid-face rotors? I've never had a sports car that didn't have drilled rotors.

Well the original NSX were solid faced too. That said, the new NSX’s iron brakes have got to be the only modern sports car like that. A bit odd since I think the original press releases showed the iron brakes with slots. As far as the engineering decision there? No clue.

To be honest, irons should not even been offered on this car. While the pads are different from the CCB system, they’re still very expensive. Aggressive use on the irons will have you replacing rotors probably every other pad set. The CCBs will eat up pads in aggressive (track) use just as fast. But the rotors will last longer. Expensive up front for the CCB option, but worth it in the long run.

Back