• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Took the car out for a ride

I had to run an errand and decided to take the NSX out as it has been sitting quietly for the last 4 days. As I was heading home I pulled into a Shell Station to add a few gallons. This car pulls up and the guy gets out to ask me about the car. He tells me his son was all excited about seeing this car close up. He asked what it was but did not react much to hearing that it was an Acura. He asked if he could take a picture and I said of course and offered to have his son (probably around 6 or 7 years of age sit in the car. He got all excited. I opened the door had the kid sit in the car then closed it and got out of the way. The father began taking a video of his kid in the car. It was so great given all the difficulty of the Coronavirus situation. He then asked me what books I read. Kind of like asking how did you get around to having a car like this. I told him nothing special just have tenacity, persistence, and set goals. He seemed to like that. I ended by saying keep it simple. My spirits were really lifted. I think the Dad was more excited then the Kid.

That is a fun story to hear. Yes, during times like this, a simple fun event like this can lift spirits.
With the social distancing act in play, we are all feeling a little separated from one another. I bet all of you felt little more human that day.

Sometimes we hear the Greats talk about what influence them when they were younger such as hard times or inspirational events. Let's hope this little boy will grow up to be one of those greats and remember this day.

For the Kids

On the subject of kids, a local car group, with coordination with the local police, has arranged for Car Birthday drive-bys for kids.

It's great to just get out and see the smiles on the kids -- and adults. Last week, 70 cars showed up and yesterday 40 cars. My wife now wants to bring a Birthday banner on every drive-by we attend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkwSi1eOC68;

WOW!! An impressive line up of cars, from a Ford Model T to a Ford GT, and everything in between. What a great idea, and an alternative to all the cancelled cars & coffee events.....

I had to run an errand and decided to take the NSX out as it has been sitting quietly for the last 4 days. As I was heading home I pulled into a Shell Station to add a few gallons. This car pulls up and the guy gets out to ask me about the car. He tells me his son was all excited about seeing this car close up. He asked what it was but did not react much to hearing that it was an Acura. He asked if he could take a picture and I said of course and offered to have his son (probably around 6 or 7 years of age sit in the car. He got all excited. I opened the door had the kid sit in the car then closed it and got out of the way. The father began taking a video of his kid in the car. It was so great given all the difficulty of the Coronavirus situation. He then asked me what books I read. Kind of like asking how did you get around to having a car like this. I told him nothing special just have tenacity, persistence, and set goals. He seemed to like that. I ended by saying keep it simple. My spirits were really lifted. I think the Dad was more excited then the Kid.

That's such a great story! I had a very similar experience when I took mine to the grocery store. A grandmother and her grandson came up to me as I was walking back out to the car with a few groceries in hand. She said that he grandson saw me (from the park across the street) pull into the parking lot and begged his grandma to take him over to see the car. She took some pictures of the car, and I offered to let her grandson sit in the drivers seat, but he was too shy and didn't want to. It was such a neat experience and was so nice to see how happy he was.

Popped in to this thread (from Early Pandemic Times in 2020!)...these stories are great. Those kids - that was me growing up for sure. Always my dream to have a supercar. You are all so kind to those kids - happy to read these!

After a month indoors I took my car out for a quick sprint to get Vodka!
Three women, all over 40 I'd say, came up to me to talk about or ask if I was the guy who owned "that car" outside, one followed me outside to talk. They were very friendly.
After I left, I stopped to top off the gas and again, as I'm leaving this nice looking young woman comes up to me, taking off her mask with a big smile (6' away of course) and says in a lascivious tone"I see you around town in that car".

My Gen1 attracted boys . I like this better. Guess I have to start wearing my wedding ring.

I Love it, Joe, it's you, you're a chick magnet!!!!

After a month indoors I took my car out for a quick sprint to get Vodka!
Three women, all over 40 I'd say, came up to me to talk about or ask if I was the guy who owned "that car" outside, one followed me outside to talk. They were very friendly.
After I left, I stopped to top off the gas and again, as I'm leaving this nice looking young woman comes up to me, taking off her mask with a big smile (6' away of course) and says in a lascivious tone"I see you around town in that car".

My Gen1 attracted boys . I like this better. Guess I have to start wearing my wedding ring.

They must have thought your were Tony Stark / Iron Man!

I used to get a lot of comments about the color of my NC1 from a lot of women, especially at stop lights. I also got a lot of compliments from women when I had my Lotus Esprit. They always commented that they liked the car from Pretty Woman. And lastly, I'm surprised I get a lot of comments from women about my M3.

So I agree that the Gen1 usually was the wrong kind of magnet. Well, for me at least.

Back