• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New '91 in Traverse City

Just bought a new 1991, with about 44k miles. Red/Black and all perfectly bone stock. Any one else in the area? Any events or get together up here. Beautiful place for a drive.....

Sorry no great photos yet, but here are a few from delivery day. I spent a good deal of time reviewing and researching to decide which version was right for me. Being a child of the 80's I prefer the pop up headlights, and I liked the car in red, but mostly I wanted a really clean, bone stock, and as close to new as I could get, type car. I guess I loved the history of the car. I enjoyed some of the reviews I read regarding how this car turned the exotic world on its ear and I wanted to own a part of that history. For all those reasons I was hoping to find not only a first gen, but a first year if possible. After a great deal of looking I was able to come up with exactly what I was looking for. 1991, Red, Bone stock right down to the wheels. Like new condition and cleaner then I could have imagined. With only 44k miles, I think I got a good price (but feel free to weigh in) @ $38K.

I found this car at "Dream Makers Garage" in Ft Wayne IN. They did a great job for me, personally delivered it in a covered trailer as a part of the deal, and stored it in their heated show room at no extra charge for several months until the weather broke. Good people there from my experience.

The only worries I had was the timing belt and the snap ring issue in the trans. The shop told me that the previous owner told them he did the timing belt "they thought" but had no paperwork to prove it. I also took the time to check the VIN against those reportedly involved in the snap ring issue and believe I have avoided it, but still worry I guess. Any advice in these areas would be great.

This is a great car and I love driving it. It looks great and maybe its the non-conformist in me but, I enjoy the rarity of it. I like that non-car people don't even know what the hell it is and car people feel compelled to comment, typically telling me about my car. I was happy to get an NSX at such a great price and anticipate that the value will climb over the years.

Love the idea of owning a non-conforming, collectable, exotic, that turned the entire exotic car world up side down...

Attachments

• 4-26-16 029.jpg
    4-26-16 029.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 28
Congrats on your wise purchase. You are blessed to have so many scenic and beautiful roads in your region to explore. :biggrin:

Unfortunately, no roads where 70 mph is permitted and I do suspect the Grand Traverse County Sherriff's road patrol will soon note your new sled.

Cody has a friend (who is a school teacher) who has a 94-96 NSX, lives south of T.C. ... Maple City or something like that??

You should look at showing at the St. Ignace Car show, think it is June 26/27 weekend. Lots of fun. :smile:

I actually need to check in with Cody. I was picking his brain while looking and he is not aware I made the purchase yet. I need to stop by the shop and show it off. Trick will be not letting him talk me into adding new parts and pieces. Gonna try to keep this one stock if I can...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and fortunately I work in law enforcement up here... Road patrol has already noted the car, because most of them have had a ride in it, betting I can talk my way out of a ticket, should it ever come up !?!?

Oh, and fortunately I work in law enforcement up here... Road patrol has already noted the car, because most of them have had a ride in it, betting I can talk my way out of a ticket, should it ever come up !?!?

haha - very handy!

Keeping a car stock is easier than you think - a fair number of people "get" the idea of keeping a NSX original.

Sounds like you got a good car from good people and had a good experience with it. That sounds like a bargain to me even if you paid more than you did. Enjoy the car!

Thanks, it has been a great experience so far.. I have owned several interesting cars through the years, but this one is something very unique... For now I love the idea of keeping it bone stock, I guess we will see if I catch the bug to modify it down the road. I don't have any idea how many stock NSX's are left, but there weren't that many to start with, the rare nature of the car keeps it cool for me.

TC is my home town. Wish I knew about this so I could send a family member to go grab it. Congrats on your purchase. Good deal. Take care of her!

Congrats, and welcome to the MI Crew!

We have a very nearly stock (100% reversible mods- see sig line) red '92, and also have Cody's highly insane '92 purple "shop car"........complete with a trunk full of turbo.

Both cars are great in their own way!

Brian

Back