• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Video: Fuel Injector Removal & Reinstallation After Cleaning, 1991-2005

I wasn't sure if anyone other than @Chris_Lum was allowed to upload videos to this sub-forum. :) His videos are an inspiration to me.

My 1st video. Suggestions, and especially corrections, welcome.

This is a follow-up from:

Last edited:
Great Job!
I just removed my injectors for cleaning. The only thing I did slightly different was that I removed the fuel feed line at the fuel filter, and not on the fuel manifold. I am changing the fuel filter at the same time and it comes with the crush washers on that end of the feed line. This did add the extra step of removing the two cover plates on the right side of the forward valve cover.

Great Job!
I just removed my injectors for cleaning. The only thing I did slightly different was that I removed the fuel feed line at the fuel filter, and not on the fuel manifold. I am changing the fuel filter at the same time and it comes with the crush washers on that end of the feed line. This did add the extra step of removing the two cover plates on the right side of the forward valve cover.
A couple of other Primers like @acuhon have also recommended this, that you clean the injectors when you change the fuel filter, and I agree.

I actually did the fuel filter at the same time as well, but I edited the fuel filter change out because @Chris_Lum had already done such an excellent video on the fuel filter change, and my video was getting too long. (You can tell because the line from the fuel filter to the forward fuel rail is just lying limp, since it's disconnected from the fuel filter and the support mounted under those 2 cover plates.) As a result, I had to "add" the manifold/rail disconnection from the SM, which you can see me doing by hand 💪. After a week with no corrections, I just re-edited the video to remove about 60 seconds of pauses & "um's" and I'll call that done.

Last edited:
That is an awesome vid Chris and it explains the operation of those clips so well! Once you've seen one off the injector, it's clear, but your video will be perfect for someone who hasn't done it before. Only -ve is how amateurish it makes my video look.

While I don't have picks like that, I will say that, on my 1995, I found it very easy to just remove the top fuel rail before disconnecting the electrical connectors; I then removed the injectors from the manifold individually. With the injector just anchored by the electrical connector, it's fairly easy to use a small slot screwdriver to pop the clip to the "disengaged" position.

Have you considered a career in dentistry with your adeptness with those picks? :)

Last edited:
Got any close up pictures of an injector out with the o rings showing which ones go where?

I just reinstalled my injectors yesterday after having them cleaned by RC Injectors. I didn’t take any pictures, but here is a crude diagram with the old parts returned from RC. In the ‘91 service manual reference pages 11-89, 11-92, and 11-93.

Attachments

• IMG_4869.jpeg
    IMG_4869.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 5
Watch around 7:57 in the video: Not sure if it applies to pre-1997, but my injectors came back from RC with a green o-ring on the top (fuel rail) and a black o-ring on the bottom (manifold) if that helps.

RC replaced 5 parts for me, the upper and lower o-rings, the upper and lower cushion rings, and the top filter.

Looking at amayama's parts diagram:

It looks like the top one is O-RING 7.3X2.2, 91304PR7A51

It looks like the bottom one is: O-RING 10X1.7, 91302P0AA00

Check your year, but you should be able to measure the o-rings?

IMG_2336.jpeg
Here are pics of mine when I took them off. The only part not pictured is the spacer or whatever it’s called, lowest “O ring” type thing that sits in the manifold. Mine was very plasticky feeling (not sure if it’s supposed to be like that or if it’s cooked rubber/silicon material).

Back