• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone own a Hummer H2 yet? I am buying one

Does anyone on this forum own a H2 yet? I am going to buy one next week and wanted to get your take on them. What kind of mileage are you getting? Any problems to speak of yet? Thanks for the input

Rob

No, not yet, but please share when you do. I'm also an interested H2 fan....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

I have an H1 Wagon. H2's are nice, but its kinda like buying an integra over the NSX. They are both great vehicles, but there will only be 1 REAL Hummer.
biggrin.gif
Congrats and welcome to the family.

Neighbor has one and hasn't had any problems, although it has less than 2k miles on it. Spoke w/her b/c I hadn't seen one up close and my wife commented on how neat it was. Neighbor gets a new car about every 6-8 months and I told her to let me know when she was ready to sell, so I to am enterested in any concerns owners have. I hear they are selling like crazy.

Originally posted by SNDSOUL:
..but there will only be 1 REAL Hummer.

So far this is the only thing I've heard out of H1 owners! A good friend of mine has a yellow H1 convetible, and he just HATES the H2!

I suppose H1 owners feel that the H2 has compromised on the original Hummer concept. Also, with the lower price tag, the once ultra-exclusive nature of Hummer ownership has also been impacted.

Nevertheless, I am still a fan of the H2.

I saw 5 of them today, we had a severe winter storm warning here. So I guess people
were eager to test them. We never got the storm.

I am also looking to get an H2. Don't so much care for the elitest H1 approach as it will still be my third vehicle.

I am looking to replace my Land Cruiser, and am split between the H2 and the Navigator. Saw a few sweet H2s at CES last week (15" LCD panel in the rear!).

If you get one, throw down on details, or email me directly, I am very curious. Still trying to convince the woman that she would also like the H2
biggrin.gif

She already thinks my NSX draws too much attention, and doesn't like prospects of the gawking at the H2.

I understand the sentiment from H1 owners, but I disagree with the analogy of Integra to NSX. I would suspect that the majority of the public has no idea the H2 is a big price and off-road feature drop from H1, where the Integra really pales in initial impression to the NSX (IMO).

I think the H2 has some of the same external appeal the H1 had, in fact, in many ways I prefer the H2. Certainly for rolling around town. As a desert rat, the H1 would still be cool, but I don't do that as much as I used to.

Doesn't it share the same chassis as the Avalanche? Maybe Suburban? Not sure...

I sat inside an H2. Huge! Feels awkward though in the driver position, maybe its just me.

Here's my 2 cents:
I spotted a yellow H-2 near my home. Young guy driving it. We have allot of military living in the area, near Pearl Harbor. It's my guess, he's military and just had to have one. (Like all of us, losing sleep over it, before we owned our first NSX!)
cool.gif

I love it.
I was gonna buy one, but then I will have difficulties finding parking spot in SF malls or any public parking meter. When I had my G500, I had to park my truck outside of parking building most of the time because of the truck height. I had to walk a long way and was scared that someone might vandalize the truck since there was a "spit incident".

I bought my MDX since it is very practical, and yes because I love the VTECH punch when I need to pass most of the cars in highway and city.

Maybe when I retired and live in other place than SF, I will buy a hummer
smile.gif

Share us the details on your NEW ride.

smile.gif

------------------
--
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP :) -> miles start to climb
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- 10k miles
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey - 5k miles
'93 300SE MBZ - 97k miles and running strong :)

Just a little observation/sharing on gm products. Currently all gm products are dropping value wise like enron stock
wink.gif
. So if your gonna buy, be forewarned. All used cars are down, but domestics are much much more depreciated than other brands. Ask me how I know---can you say escalade? Subsequent research showed me that any gm you drive off the lot today automatically depreciates approximately 30%. Within two years more than 50%. Point is, you WILL be upside down on any gm product, provided that the current trend continues. SO, good luck with that hummer.

Interesting this has come up. When my wife and I went to the dealer to look at the NSX, they had just gotten in three H2s. This was back in July. Since the dealer had located the NSX for me it was stored at an off-site garage where it had been detailed. My wife asked if the salesman could drive us over in the H2. Off we went. It was a cool ride. The H2 is much larger than my Montero. I thought the interior was nice.

After I looked at the NSX and wanted to take it for a test drive the salesman handed the H2 keys to my wife and said he would meet us back at the dealership with the NSX. She had a great time on the drive back, now she wants an H2.

Like I said it is very large. It should fit in a standard garage bay, barely. The mirrors actually rotate so you have more clearence to enter a garage. Our salesman said he had taken one home but didn't dare to take it into his garage because there was a downhill slope going in.

I am also very interested in the H2. I plan on getting something within the next year. I haven't test driven one yet and was wondering if it drives as well as a Navigator or an Escalade? I like the looks of the H2 better, but if it drives like crap it probably wouldn't worth it. Has anyone compared these yet?

I believe any car depriciates 20 to 30% per year. If you look at a new MB ML350 it will cost you around 47k loaded. A 2000 ML 320 can be had for around 22k. That is over a 50% decrease. Lets face it, anytime you buy a new car it is the worst investment you could make (besides Enron). I usually buy cars about 1 to 2 years old, but have been having some problems with 3 out of my 5 cars and my wife insists on having atleast 1 new car under warranty at all times now. I also looked at the new Land Rover Discovery and the MB ML350. Both are really nice vehicles, but the Hummer is awsome. As far as parking it in a garage, who cares it is a Hummer, I will take it off road all the time so that is not a concern. IMO a Hummer does not belong in the garage anyway, my NSX and Porsche on the other hand are in there.... This will be my first American vehicle in a long time. That is the only scarry part as the corvette I had was a piece of junk.

Originally posted by insx:
I love it.
I was gonna buy one, but then I will have difficulties finding parking spot in SF malls or any public parking meter. When I had my G500, I had to park my truck outside of parking building most of the time because of the truck height. I had to walk a long way and was scared that someone might vandalize the truck since there was a "spit incident".

I bought my MDX since it is very practical, and yes because I love the VTECH punch when I need to pass most of the cars in highway and city.

Maybe when I retired and live in other place than SF, I will buy a hummer
smile.gif

Share us the details on your NEW ride.

smile.gif

Sorry if this is off topic but ive been a fan of the MB GELAENDEWAGEN for sometime.How did you like the g500 .. as you know its the car of the stars now ...Brad Pit has one and a few prominent rap artist.Like the nsx its rare and you dont see one everyday.

Originally posted by FuryNSX:
Wife and I thought about the H2. Saw that it only fits five standard, with an option for a 6th. NO CAN DO!!

That was my impression as well. Heck, I can fit five people in my Integra. If I'm going to get a vehicle the size of a small planet, it'd better hold a *lot* of people.

-Bob

Bob, interesting article.

I saw my mom trade in her perfect low mileage Prelude for one of the limited edition white SUVs. Because she's mousy (5'2" and about 100lbs) she needed to be taller/higher so she could see what was happening on the road and feel less intimidated.

In the last 50 years, automotive engine technology has come a long way, quite the opposite of what the article quotes.

I've had more bad road experiences with those who drive SUVs and likely because they're so common on the roads. Most usually cut me off because they either underestimate my speed, don't see me, or plain don't care.

Sunny

I don't own either one...but IMO, H2 is a cheapend version of the H1. And the H1 is a poor "Cadillac" version of the REAL HUMVEE. The H2, with the small windows, to me looks like a Brinks truck. Need the room...get a suburban...need offroad/bad weather capibilities, get a Subaru...need bullet proof, semi-submersible, virtually un-roll-able, impractical for 99% of normal daily use...get the REAL HUMVEE. Again...just my .02

------------------
Todd E. Williams
'94 NSX Berlina Black/Black

[This message has been edited by tewills (edited 17 January 2003).]

Originally posted by flaminio:
Here's another viewpoint:

Are Hummer Owners Idiots?

(Don't flame me; I didn't write it...)

-Bob

God damn,

The author doesn't take any prisoners...

Quote:
...also that SUVs are owned, by and large (but not, of course, exclusively), by complete jackasses.

You know it's true. SUV drivers tend, more than any others on the road, to be aggressive jerks. And New York Times reporter Keith Bradsher's new book, "High and Mighty: SUVs -- The World's Most Dangerous Vehicles and How They Got That Way," proves it.

As reported in a superlative Washington Monthly article that quotes extensively from Bradsher's book, SUV owners tend to be, in part, more selfish, self-centered, narcissistic, insecure and vain than their car-driving brethren. Oh yes they do. And the research backs it up.

They are frequently "nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centered and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbors and communities. They are more restless, more sybaritic and less social than most Americans are."

Oh but it doesn't stop there. Only a small fraction of SUVs are ever used for actual work, or for their off-road capabilities, or by people who actually need them for inclement weather or for their hauling utility. And SUVs are, as Bradsher points out, intentionally designed to appear more reptilian and threatening, in an attempt to instill a false sense of ruggedness and menace and a get-outta-my-way machismo. And, of course, they succeed. Sort of.

I wonder how he really feels...

Regards.

Back