• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1997 Spa Yellow Pearl, 6 speed $44,800

Chris, you already know I think your car is awesome. Have you tried selling it on eBay?

-Awais

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Corvette Coupe - Not Stock [503 RWHP, 545 RWTQ]

2002 Black Acura 3.2 TL/S

www.RacingFlix.com

Wow and I was looking for the same car w/ lets say 20k miles a year and half ago and couldn't touch it for less than 65k$$
Sounds like somones gonna be the proud owner of a smoking deal... www.mynsx.com

Would you consider a trade for a 1999 BMW M3 plus some cash?

------------------
Mason
Tire Rack sales...contact me for all your wheel and tire needs.
1-800-428-8355
Ext. 619

1991 Acura NSX (auto)

FYI, for anyone interested in this car.... i have looked at and driven this car recently (sat 11-2-02).... heres what i found.....the car drives well and looks good at first, however it has had a significant amount of paint work done to it. the seller tried to tell me the rear bumper was the only part painted. at a close up look of the car, it is very obviuos the entire left side of the car and the righ rear fender has been painted. the rear bumper is faded and has stress cracks on the left side. i am in no way a paint expert, but the obvious overspray in the doorjams, gas door and headlight was very easy to spot. heres the scarey part, when i asked the seller to take the car to an acura shop for a presale inspection, he would not let me do it. i was willing to pay for it and the acura dealer is only 2 blocks from his shop. then, when i asked him if i could take it to an alignment shop to check the specs, he said no to that too. when i asked him why he wouldnt let me have the car checked, he said "its a used car and the shop is probably going to find something that is wrong with it" the seller kept telling me what a great deal the car was and that at the price he was selling it for was because it had paintwork. (by the way his out the door price with California tax and license to me was $47,500.00) i will say the car looks great from a distance (except for the obvious paint fade on the rear bumper) and drives well, the tire and wheel pakage makes the car too. but the car has many unanswered questions that the seller isn't willing to have checked out. if anyone has any more questions, please feel free to post a response here and i will answer it honestly if i know....dave
buy the way... i am on my way to socal friday morn to pick up a white 96 with 45k miles. final price less than $40k.

Hey Adam12 grats on the new to you NSX. You should check out my experiences today just north of you. Its in the prospective owners section. Thats 3 cars for sale in the bay area to be afraid of. Did you see any others out there that you liked or for that matter are a waste of time?

[email protected]

Prudeone

Nice review ONEADAM12,
yes, yellow color is the hardest to match in NSX. very unique. I don't like yellow NSX PAINT from up close. From a far, it is fantastic.

Dave,

Just wanted to clear up a couple things with you. The vehicle was never misrepresented to you or any of the hundreds of people that have emailed or called me about it in the past couple months. I never said that only the rear bumper had been painted. I did tell you, and many others, that the rear bumper was the only easily detectable paintwork to most people. I am sure that there are many people that can attest to that. The bumpers on any NSX and especially Spa Yellow Pearl are always a slight shade lighter due to the flex agent used in the paint. This difference is amplified at different angles and times of the day depending on lighting. Stress cracks are created from poor parallel parking, nothing major. The car must have not been in as bad shape as you describe it now, since you were willing to buy it two weeks ago. Again, the price is deeply discounted for the paintwork.

I've been around long enough to have had experiences with buyers such as you. Don't forget that you had originally made a low ball offer and requested a pre-purchase inspection to be paid by the seller, afterwhich you could decide whether you want the car or not. This did not leave me with a particularly good impression of you as a serious buyer. Even after you decided several days later that you would pay for the inspection, I did not feel it necessary at that point because a serious buyer would have originally offered to pay for the inspection and/or would have left a holding deposit on the vehicle. You drove the car and inspected it yourself. We both know it has paintwork. I am not going to waste my time and risk damaging the car by taking it to the Acura dealer for inspection so they can tell you not to buy the car and to buy theirs instead. Again, with the wheel alignment, I wasn't going to drive 50 miles through the storm to the only shop that I trust with the car to get wheel alignment specs. Which might I add, is a request that I have never come across.

I don't appreciate people like you who are posting on this forum solely to discourage buyers from my vehicle just because you had a poor experience. If you are unhappy with the car or me, take it up with me in private, not by disparaging the car on a public forum under the guise of being a concerned list member.

From my experience, there are two kinds of NSX buyers. The first kind will only accept a low mileage, garage queen, that has never been touched in any way and they will pay TOP dollar for it. The other is willing to purchase a good car that has had some past issues, but at a deeply discounted price. This car is obviously for the latter buyer. You want the perfect car for an impossible price. I don't think anyone would disagree that a 1997 with a clean title is well priced at the offer we accepted from you.

I have sold several NSX's through this list and all people that have bought from me are extremely happy with their vehicles and still maintain contact with me because I am an enthusiast of the car and offer them help in many ways with their cars. I have also gone to inspect cars for list members from all over the country that I have never met although I had no financial interest in the deal or selling them one of my cars. I am not here to fool anyone, I am here because we all have a love for the NSX, which is more than I can say for you.

Chris

[This message has been edited by ck (edited 18 November 2002).]

well chris seems to have a different memory of what we did and didnt discuss about his car. when i first spoke to him about this car he told me only the rear bumper had been painted. then when i went to see the car, his father reafirmed that statement. i had a friend with me who also drove and looked at the car. he was standing right next to me when the dad made the statement.the final price his dad made to me for the car WAS a good price. however, not a steal by any means. now, when i detected the entire left side of the car had been repainted, i was concerned it may have been hit hard. however, i still WOULD have bought the car if the frame integrity checked out. my first offer to them was to take the car to a paint and frame shop, 1 block from thier shop, and have the frame checked with a lazer. i offered to pay for the cost if i didn't buy the car but asked for them to pay if i did buy the car. this is called negotiating. his dad said no. then i agreed to pay weather i bought the car or not. dad again again said no. first red flag. so i waited for chris to return form china to deal with him. explained to chris my concerns with the side and assured him i WOULD buy the car if the frame checked out. chris said he would get back to me. he never called, i called him back. chris said no to the frame check. his reason "it's a used car, of course it's going to be a few millameters out of specs. i'm not going to let some shop pick my car apart. it's priced to sell as is." second red flag. in a last ditch resort, i asked if i could pay to have the alignment checked. the frame guy told me the car would not align to specs if it was hit hard. again i offered and chris said he would think about it and call be back. again no call back. i called him.
again, chris said no to the alignment and again used the "used car" excuse and it's priced to sell as is. he also said he didnt want to drive the car in the rain to the tire shop. i asked him to wait a doy or so till the rain stopped. agian he said no. third red flag. finally chris told me i could call the shop he had the rims and tires installed at and they would confirm the car is within alignment specs. i called and spoke to the "main" NSX guy at the shop. he remembered the car and told me he did not have any alignment info on the this car because chris did not want to pay for the alignment. last red flag. all this and i didnt even address the fact he wouldn't let me pay for a diagnostics and prepurchase inspection at Concord Acura two blocks from his shop. he said no to that too!!!!!! i am not makiing this sh@t up !!!!!!!!!!!!

i am in no way using this forum to BASH chris ..... he may be a great guy . but this car has a lot of paintwork that chris nor his dad can account for. they have no idea if or how hard this car was hit. i think everyone on this site would agree, if you are going to spend $47,500.00 on any car, you want to have it checked out. i sure dont want a 47k hung of aluminum sitting in my garage or driving down the road crooked with me in it. hopefully chris will agree to have the car checked out for the next prospective buyer and answer the unknown questions about this car. my post on this car is soley based on my experiance with this seller and this car. i made the accurate and truthful post about the CAR to let prospective buyers from far away know what issus i found. and i am in no way an expert on paint or used cars. i drove 2 hrs to see the car. i'm also sorry if this response does not belong in this forum, but i felt i needed to explain further.

good luck to anyone looking at this car. post your e-mail or phone number if you have any questions about my post about this car.

DAVE

ONEADAM12, thanks for the review. I think this sort of review is good for all of us. Chris says you're discouraging buyers from his vehicle, I think you're doing all of us a favor by being informative. Thanks again.
A couple of weeks ago, I also had the chance to check out the car. The price was attractive at first but is now questionable. The seller (Greg) initially said only the rear bumper was repainted. After inspection, I found out the rear bumper, front bumper, right headlight, and rear quarter was repainted. After further inspection, I further concluded that the whole rear quarter panel was replaced. Seller also agreed on the presented facts. Non of this was disclosed. Greg also said car was from original owner. False. CarFax shows two previoous owner. Seller kept on saying car this is a great price!!! Buy it now!!! Are there other expensive and underlining problems that we should know about? Any maintainence receipts, repair receipts, repaint receipts? Chris, maybe you can lend a hand? I do agree that the paint job on the repair is below average for this type of car. This car does show a clean title. I heard and have witness a few times where a car is salvaged in another state or even within the same state, that during a transfer, a salvage car gets a clean titled undetected. Could this be the case? I'm not saying that this car has a salvage title, Chris. For this kind of money, all of us do demand a better condition car. Having no paperwork to substantiate your claim of minor paintwork is still questionable????? Chris, truthfully, would you buy this car in this condition without any paperwork at all? This is a lot of money we're talking about. We all know NSX are great cars but also expensive to repair and maintain. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by dat (edited 18 November 2002).]

ONEADAM12. Again thanks for another great post. For many reason, I do believe you. I have experienced similar issues. I also would not want to spend 47K for a car that is questionable. While I was there Dad kept on saying, "everybody wants this car." Kept on saying two people from LA coming tomorrow to buy the car so you better buy it now. Also, while looking at the car, the phone rang. They said someone offered 49k out the door. He's coming, he's coming tomorrow. Well, maybe someone did offer 49k out the door, then how come the car is still for sale? That did irritate me. People are just lining up to buy this car.

Thanks.

There is a 97 NSX-T at CARMAX selling for under 40k. It has 49k miles on it though.

Black/Tan interior.

CARMAX has a 5 day money back guarantee.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

You guys crack me up. Dave, I never said that only the bumper was painted. I don't know what Greg told you, but before you came I specifically told you that he doesn't know anything about the car and it would be better if you spoke to me about it when I got back since it has eben my personal car for over a year. The only reason he helped the both of you is because I was in Japan. He does believe that only the rear bumper was painted. I told you otherwise. I have told everyone that it has had paintwork to the bumpers with blending done onto the fenders. Billy, how are you going to say that we didn't disclose the damage when I specifically walked you around the car and showed you how to tell that only the left rear quarter panel had been adjusted. You guys both clearly were told why there are no receipts, that is because I bought the car that way, with nothing, from auction. I used my own experience and judgment of cars in deciding that this car was worth what I paid for it at the time. No doubt about it, the car is mehanically excellent and has an excellent interior. Having prior paintwork is the negative point of this car. Billy, you must have misunderstood about the car being one owner. If Greg was trying to pull that lie over on you, why did we offer a Carfax for everyone to view that clearly shows ownership history? Also, remember that this is not a $47k car to you guys. The deal was for around $42k, which IS a steal for a 1997, and a great loss to me, might I add. Billy, you ask why the car hasn't sold and you think I was lying about the buyer from Long Beach? You know why it hasn't sold? Because you put a $500 deposit on it and that is why I took it off the market until now. It would have been courteous of you to call and at least say that you didn't want the car so I could free it up for other buyers. You have caused me the loss of a sale and additional advertising expenses. I did have a buyer that I had been corresponding with from Long Beach that was to fly up for the car if you hadn't put a deposit on it. Again, everything was explained to you about the car. I am 100% sure that Billy, you were told everything that I know about the car. Dave, I never met you, and did not get to go over the car like I did with Billy and his brother. Dave, I don't know where you are getting the "used car excuse" from. I said it probably will check slightly out of spec because it has been in some kind of accident. I also suggested several times that I didn't feel that this was the right car for you and that you should pass on it. Does that sound like I was really pushing the car on you and trying to sell it at all costs? Remember that I didn't call you back on your inspection offers? Good luck to both of you on finding your cars.

Chris
[email protected]

(Next time, it would be more professional of you guys to list your email in your profile, so thigns can be taken private. Please use my email if you want to talk any more about it as I'm sure the the forums members are sick of seeing bickering like this.)

Chris, we are not bickering. We are just being careful about our purchase. That's why this forum exist, to help inform the buyer. You did inform us that only the bumper was repainted. We did our own findings and additionally we found out the rear quarter panel had been replaced/re-aligned. If only the bumper was repainted, then how come there's overspray around the door hinges,etc. Something must have happened to the whole left side like ONEADAM12 had mentioned. Your dad did say it was a 1 owner consistently until we show the carfax to him. If he's doesn't know the car well, then how come he insist it's a one owner car and is confident ONLY the bumper was repainted. Again, you didn't disclose the damages, we pointed it out ourselves. Again, about the buyer from Long Beach, this phone call was before our deposit. Please exlain correctly. I never said you were lying. Chris, what gave you the impression that we didn't want the car no more. For all intent and purposes, we are just using this forum to attain additional info/experience about this NSX before signing on the dotted line. Lastly, I don't think it is wrong for us to get a third opinion.
Please email me: Thanks Brian [email protected]

I don't care about any of this bickering, but I do have a problem with ads (like the Yahoo link) that go on and on about all the good things about a car, but which never mentions a big KNOWN negative, instead they leave it up to the buyer to discover it. It's disrespectful to all the people whose time winds up getting wasted, and it sounds like if a buyer wasn't careful they could have bought it without knowing the side had been painted. Doesnt sound like anyone ("Greg"?) was in much of a hurry to point it out to that other buyer. A fully descriptive ad would have pre-empted that.

Things like this are frustrating to those of us trying to find a good clean NSX to buy, it is almost enough to make us hold our nose and just go buy a new Vette. Almost. ;-)

Timbo,

I ran that same ad for almost three months and only recently removed the part about it having prior paintwork. I chose to do that because I felt that I can better explain what I know about the paintwork myself then to let someone come to their own assumptions and conclusions. I have never let anyone come to see the car with out disclosing the prior paintwork. I would not waste people's time like that, just as I wouldn't want my time wasted. Many NSX buyers are very picky about paintwork. I know that. It's usually a clear yes or no. They either accept it, or absolutely not. I don't need someone coming from across the country just to get pissed off when they find out there is paintwork. I disclose as much as I know and always have the buyer sign a written statement saying that the paintwork was disclosed. Been in the business too long to be defrauding customers.

Brian,

I emailed you and am awaiting your phone call. Check your account or email your contact number please.

Thanks,
Chris

Originally posted by ck:
Timbo,

I ran that same ad for almost three months and only recently removed the part about it having prior paintwork. I chose to do that because I felt that I can better explain what I know about the paintwork myself then to let someone come to their own assumptions and conclusions. I have never let anyone come to see the car with out disclosing the prior paintwork. I would not waste people's time like that, just as I wouldn't want my time wasted. Many NSX buyers are very picky about paintwork. I know that. It's usually a clear yes or no. They either accept it, or absolutely not. I don't need someone coming from across the country just to get pissed off when they find out there is paintwork. I disclose as much as I know and always have the buyer sign a written statement saying that the paintwork was disclosed. Been in the business too long to be defrauding customers.

OK, I still would rather see it in the ad than have to learn about it after making a phone call, but that's up to you and not worth arguing over.

But I would suggest that if you are out of the country while the car is for sale, you might either 1) put the repaint description back in the ad, or 2) inform the person who is in charge of selling the car ("Greg"?) about the repaint, so that they can in turn inform the customer. Thats all, good luck to all.

Car has been sold. Thanks to all, especially Lud. Congratulations on the new car, Billy N.!
cool.gif

Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by ck (edited 18 November 2002).]

After clearing up some misunderstanding with Chris and Greg, we finally closed the deal! With better communication, this transaction could have been somewhat a little smoother. Even without any kind of repair paperwork, we believe Chris was telling the truth of what he knows of the car to his knowledge. I have repaired cars for quite some time and know to some extent on bodywork, that's why I was able to ask the right questions. Finally, I know this is a used car and can't expect it to be in perfect shape. There are always some risk in a used car (even new ones) but I guess we must all take some steps to find out. In conclusion, I am satisfied with the purchase and am happy to make some new friends. I am confident Chris and Greg are good people to do business with and know they expect us to come back for repeat business. I highly recommend them for future purchases. Will definitely contact them again for furture purchases.
Thanks Chris/Greg. 97 NSX-T Pearl Yellow.

Brian/Billy

billy.... congrats on the car.... i really liked it when i saw it, but for the life of me i cant understand why chris wasnt willing to work with me....it sounds like you got the questions answered you had... hope you enjoy the car..... maybe we can meet up one day at an event... i plan on joining the sacramento club soon.... anyways, i dont know if you are interested or not, but do you want to sell the volk rims with or without the tires???? please let me know one way or another...hope you get this post.... no idea how else to reach you...thanks..dave

Back