• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fuel pump making noise

I have got a CTSC NSX and had some fuel pressure problems which costed me 5 pistons so far. The engine was really running lean at high revs (up from 6500). I tried everything. But at last I changed my fuel filter. The problem vanished and my fuel pressure raised for about 14.7 PSI. That was exactly what I needed. My A/F ratio is now between 12 and 11 all over the range. I now like rich over lean. They say 14 is like an ideal ratio, but I think that for a boosted engine it is safer to go below 12.5

The next problem appeared in a squeeling fuel pump. It happened after changing the fuel filter. So it looks like the higher pressure did someting to the fuel pump. It is a very high tone and very annoying.

I want to know if there is someone with the same problem and can it hurt the pump, or do I have to change it?

Please help this Supercharged Flying Dutchman

First I had heard of this type of problem with the fuel filter.

Do you have dirty gas near you? Does CompTech or any of the other forced solutions recommend a new fuel filter before or more frequently then the NA cars?

I use 98 octane mostly Shell or BP. There is no recommendation from Comptec for a special fuel filter. I changed for an OEM filter. The fuel pressure is OK.

It's not uncommon for filters to plug up over time. Even with "clean" fuel, you pump thousands of gallons through them. The higher flow demands of a boosted engine just makes it noticeable sooner. I swapped at ~60k and saw a significant change (but not enough). At 14v with a new filter my pump was too weak to maintain pressure under full boost so I replaced it with a Walbro 255 HP that cost me ~$125 delivered from: http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/ (Ron went the extra mile to find that an NSX kit did in fact exist when others just said no.)

Even at the stock voltage the pumps make some noise. I'm told that's why they have the resistor block to lower the voltage. So, bumping it up to 20v is likely to make it even louder. Of course I have no way of knowing if that's the case for you. Also, if the physical pump is not properly isolated in the hanger it will transmit more noise through the car.

Back