• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Time for a decision.....

Well the time to make a decision.

My R5 Turbo 2 will be leaving on monday to go to it's new home in Conn.
So unless something unforeseen occurs by the end of next week one of three NXS's will take it's place in the garage.

And the finalist's are......

92 red/blk 30k miles, 1 owner, bought locally, has complete dealer service records, no mods, very near perfect condition, In snap range. $23
91 blk/ivory (I Like this combo.) 75k miles 2 owner, complete dealer service records, no mods, Showroom condition, no snap ring issue. NSX tech at the dealer says this car is the nicest NSX that comes in. $27
93 red blk 56k miles, 3 owner, has had service more or less on schedule. average condition. $29

Thoughts?

If you like the Black/Ivory color combo the most, I think you will regret buying something else in the long run.

"92 red/blk 30k miles, 1 owner, bought locally, has complete dealer service records, no mods, very near perfect condition, In snap range. $23"

$23k sounds very good for this nsx.

The '92 has the lowest miles and the lowest price. Even if you spent $2500 to replace the snap ring and upper transmission case, it would still cost less than the others. So on a miles vs cost basis, this one sounds the best. However, I've found that cars are rarely exactly comparable (and rarely as "perfect" as they're described) - even if you know all the information about them. A simple summary of miles and year does not do them justice. For example, you don't specify whether any of these cars have had the timing belt and water pump replaced - and this is now 4-6 years overdue, according to the recommendations of the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. For another example, you don't mention whether the window regulators have been updated. A really fastidious NSX owner would (a) have done all of these services, and (b) have mentioned that they were done in the ad listing.

The price on the '92 reminds me of a statement that Lud has made, something like, "Every NSX I've seen that has had a price that seems too good to be true, has had a reason why it was priced that low."

The first two have had scheduled service by Acura dealers.

The 93 has been serviced but not by Acura.

And I have given the cars a pretty thorough going over. CarFax, checked service records etc.

And the prices are not asking prices.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited 23 February 2003).]

Blk/Ivory...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

weeellll. since ya asked; definately the best deal(assuming all else is equal) is the 92 with 30k. Dont let the snap ring range scare you off--just take care of it(maybe do the clutch at the same time).

a lot of opinions on this, but in general exotics depreciate most heavily based on mileage. Now this may not be entirely rational, but it is how it seems to work.

So assuming it wasnt wrecked or somehow a lemon, the 92 is the practical choice at the price(VERY good price).

good luck

Originally posted by huckster:
in general exotics depreciate most heavily based on mileage.

That is more true of some other cars (e.g. Ferrari) than the NSX. In fact, I bet the NSX depreciates no more (on a percentage basis) due to mileage than your typical Accord or Taurus. I find the difference in price between a high-mileage NSX and a low-mileage NSX is usually so small that the low-mileage NSX is often the better value.

Originally posted by kld12:
"92 red/blk 30k miles, 1 owner, bought locally, has complete dealer service records, no mods, very near perfect condition, In snap range. $23"

$23k sounds very good for this nsx.

That sounds ridiculously low if everything is true. I would buy it as a second car for that price!

Time for a decision indeed.....

New '02 NSX, 0 down, 799/mth X 36, 12K mi/yr

OR

Used '01 Porsche TT, 8K miles, fully optioned, 0 down, $1172/mth X 36, 12K mi/yr.

Originally posted by NSX-GUY:
Time for a decision indeed.....

New '02 NSX, 0 down, 799/mth X 36, 12K mi/yr

OR

Used '01 Porsche TT, 8K miles, fully optioned, 0 down, $1172/mth X 36, 12K mi/yr.

One of my associates in my office is going through the same evaluation. He's driven them both, he's a current Porsche owner, lease is up in July, like my 02 NSX so much that he went and took his wife to see it, only problem is she complained getting in and out of it was too difficult. He's been following a couple of 01 TT's on E-bay, and decided to wait (he was going to lease the NSX now because of the incentive) until June as the price on the TT's is coming down due to the economy, et al. Personally, I like the rush you get when you press on the smile pedal of the Porsche, but around here, they're so common. I feel that the NSX looks so sensual compared to the TT, and I enjoy the VTEC sound almost as much as the whoosh of the turbo. The 0-60 difference of 1 second doesn't outweigh the difference in driving sensation that I felt the NSX has over the Porsche. The ride, handling, linkage on both cars is exceptional, go with the one that makes you smile when you look at it!!!

$400 PER MONTH DIFFERENCE-I THINK THE NSX IS THE WAY TO GO. Better act quickly-that rebate
supposedly ends the 28th.You may also have a problem getting the lease on the NSX-according to Pohanka they had to push Acura
a bit to do the last deal that was discussed
in a different subject.

By chance are you getting the Imola orange
one at Pohanka? Good luck

One last point-truthfully,and I have owned a couple--Porsches' are a a dime a dozen.But
they are still a lot of fun.

Snapper,

I'd be interested in the one of the 2 NSXs you passed on. Can you please email me with general information about them and their contact info? Appreciate it.

Well, there's no question the NSX draws more attention and that, while there aren't all THAT many Porsches areound, they are FAR more common than NSX'.

I like the look of the NSX better than the Porsche (12 year old design or not) and I love the sound of the NSX' engine just behind my head but the sheer beastlike acceleration of the TT brings a smile to my face like you can't believe.

Very tough decision.

Yep, the orange NSX at Pohanka is one I'm considering. If the rebate goes away after 2/28, so be it. If the lease price goes from 799 to 999 or more it certainly make my decision much easier.

Actually, I'm looking to get the TT (one that *I* want though) for $999/mth for 36/mths, 0 down, 12K mi/yr. I've found that deal already but not quite for the car I want. With this economy, perhaps I ought to wait it out.

We'll see.

LOOK at the post I just entered for the 4 sale section--don't know if they will meet
the pohanka price-tomorrow is the 28th and
NJ is supposed to get more "black snow" which
is good for car buyers and bad for car sellers!

I just ran an ad for my BMW and got ZERO
calls!

Well I am back from picking up my car. I have to admit I am very happy with it.
Most of my friends discouraged this purchase because they thought the NSX would be too average or refined. In the past I have tended to stick with pretty extreme machines.

The 15 hour 23 min. drive (according to mapquest) was covered in 13 hours straight including fuel stops. Got to know the car pretty well on the way back, and I am impressed.

As far as the runner ups go, not sure about the 93, it is advertised here in the for sale section. The 92 red/blk is now owned by a friend of mine. Nice car, I just am sick of the combination, and the snap ring issue just plain scares me. I know of several others I did not consider for one reason or another. I will pass the info on to those that requested it. Good luck.

I must add that this website had a great deal to do with my decision to go with the NSX.

Congratulations! I'm sure it will exceed even your highest expectations.

Two things to add to your to-do list:

1. Join the NSX Club of America (NSXCA).

2. Block off the dates of October 8-12 (or Oct 7-13 to allow travel time) for NSXPO 2003. That's the annual, national event of the NSXCA, and it's the most fun you can have with your NSX. It includes meals, activities, drives together, and lots of fun, with over 100 NSXs expected. It moves around the country from year to year. This year, it will be in your section of the country, in Northern California, with the optional track event at Infineon Raceway, formerly Sears Point. 800 miles makes it a nice one-day drive and I'm sure there will be a caravan of NSXs from the SEA-TAC area driving down together.

Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 01 March 2003).]

Back