• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Actual Oil Temps

OK team, Quiz time!

I now have in place the size "XL" front mounted oil cooler, big boy remote oil filter and Autometer gauges so I can tell what the hell its doing. The reason I installed all of this was when running N2O at high RPM my oil pressure was dropping to zero - and this solved it!

Just driving around town, it sits at 180F. Since its been cold and raining like someone ticked off God, I haven't had an extended 8k run to get the under load numbers yet (May 29th, Brainerd Intl Raceway) so until I do I was wondering a few things;

1) What observed temps do those of you with actual gauges run in no load and load situations?

2) The guys from Archer and Realtime say oil should be in the 220-240F area under load for best performance - any objections?

My cooler works so well it may need a thermostat controlled diverter to keep things hot enough - has anyone installed one of these? I want all the poop.

Let me know what you know, then we'll all know.

-ed
www.nsxbuilder.com

Ed, are you going to post the info on your site when it becomes available as well as the setup.. install of your new toys?I have observed the falling oil pressure while on the squeeze and may follow your lead on this .

Best Regards David

Yes, the truth will be told!

Does the lack of response tell me that no one out there has real gauges on their FI/N2O car? If so, its time to go to the store and pick up some parts.

The "low oil pressure on the factory gauge" issue was covered pretty well both here and on my site. Cooling the oil made it go away (in my case) so doing an oil/air front mounted, side mounted or oil/water cooler would be in order.

I'll take a few pics of the completed install and add a couple notes, but everything is pretty well documented on the site.

Lets get some numbers people!

-ed
www.nsxbuilder.com

Interesting that the pressure drop dissapeared after the cooler instulation. I can't see how the lower oil temp would be the fix. What is your beta temp, in vs out. And what is your oil pressure at wot/8,000 rpm. Did it lower after the cooler install. My Setrab is crammed in the right wheel well with a fan that starts at 220 deg. I keep tabs on the temp with two sensors but could not watch 6 guages at the same time. I think the new AEM will be able to data log the info and solve the tuning issues also. I went with the side mount because I have a air/water aftercooler in front allready and might have cool oil but a hot engine if it was up front also. Post the numbers when you get them. Dan

nsxbuilder said:
Yes, the truth will be told!

Does the lack of response tell me that no one out there has real gauges on their FI/N2O car? If so, its time to go to the store and pick up some parts.

-ed
www.nsxbuilder.com
I think many of us have gauges but in my case they are egt and fuel pressure one related to monitor A/F and of course fuel pressure while spraying with the other. I find the egt most useful for acertaining my a/f. I have been waiting for dali's triple a piller to come out to mount a oil temp gauge
Best Regards David

Running a cooler in the radiator core; normally aspirated -

90C Highway
110C Normal track lap
130C Hot lap flyer (I'm thinking we did not burp the radiator properly and this might be an abberation)

Using stock pump mated to a 3 Qt. Accusump

Track Day Oil Numbers

OK, so after literally hours on the track today in 80 degree weather and two full bottles of N2O, I've got the straight poo on what my cars oil situation is;

Driving to the tack (two hours); oil temp 190 degrees solid

2nd lap and all laps after coming up to loaded range; oil temp 260 solid (it never went above 260-even in a 40 minute stretch), oil pressure 75-80lbs at the crank at all times.

The pesky dash oil pressure indicator stayed right at 4 bars where it should and everything worked great.

I'd like to see a little higher pressure (80+) at the crank, so I may do the replacement spring and shim in the factory oil pump - should be good for at least 5 lbs.

Result? Get an oil cooler of some kind if you are running FI. Solves the mystery oil pressure drop problem and makes for a happier car.

-ed
www.nsxbuilder.com

I guess it depends on where you mount the oil temp sensors too. My oil temp sensor is mounted at the oem oil cooler.

On a humid 30c day like today with just the large capacity oil pan and no after market oil cooler.....

Nomal cruising on highway: 88c
Stuck in traffic: 95c
Spirited driving with lotsa vtec engagment: 105-110c
20 mins session at track meet: 140c

Henry.

Wouldn't the plumbing for the front-mount oil cooler dramatically increase the volume of oil in the system? And couldn't that be as much a cause of the reduced oil pressure problems, as much as the temperature change?

-Mike

Last edited:
Goat,

I don't know what you are getting at - with the stock oil system, MANY NSXers with FI have seen the stock oil pressure indicator drop at high RPM.

Do a search on "oil pressure" and see all the details.

Adding a cooler does add volume, drop pressure at the crank a bit, and also cools the oil. This seems to be the solution to that issue - which may just be an indicator issue - but it makes me happier not seeing that gauge reading zero at 8000rpm.

-ed
www.nsxbuilder.com

I guess the question I'm asking is whether the cooling was actually a factor in the solution to the problem, or whether simply adding that same amount of oil to the system with all that plumbing and such would have made a difference by itself.

I'm just curious, and not really trying to make a point or anything.

-Mike

Back