• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine Cleaning Question?

Okay my dad and I want to clean the engine of our car and I searched the forum and got the simple green and armorall trick.

But when I did that search I found another thread that stated that armorall products causes the rubber tubes to crack and stuff like that.

So my question is should I use the Armor All or just don't use it?

What I've done after washing off the Simple Green is to spray WD40 everywhere. It won't hurt anything, and it will protect the hoses with it's silicone properties. Don't worry about the steam that will come off the when you start the engine. In fact, let the engine run for 5-10 minutes to evaporate the excess WD40.

Thanks for the correction. I wan't aware of it's other multifunctional uses such as getting gum out of carpets.

Great link Lud!

If you engine is mildly dirty you might want to consider using your wheel cleaner on it. P21S Gel works quite well and will not damage your hoses. You can finish it off with a silicone enhanced tire dressing. Usually the ones that tout a lot of shine fit the bill.

As for Armorall, when the product was first introduced it contained a great deal of formaldahyde (sp?) which was found to damage rubber parts. The formula was reportedly changed, but the damage to their reputation was done.

So your saying that I could use the ArmorAll or I just shouldn't because I bought it already before I found the post that stated that it cracks the rubber.

Thanks for all replies.

My understanding of Armor All is that the formula is now safe for rubber and plastic. I would, however, consider it the bare minimum in protection, if it protects at all. You really want to use a product that has some sort of UV blockers. Here is a list of a few:
Vinylex
303 Aerospace Protectant
Klasse LVR
einszett Cockpit Premium
einszett Tiefenpfleger

Do yo still need a product with UV blockers for the engine bay that is not exposed to the sun? Just wondering.

Actually, for my engine bay and wheel wells, I use the cheapest stuff I can find. At one point I bought some greasy shiny stuff that I hated on my tires. It seemed to have buckets of silicone. I use this stuff on parts I don't touch or need UV protection.

I use 303 on my engine cover because it doesn't seem to attract dust. I use the slick shiny stuff on hoses that can be seen, but you really have to look around to catch glimpses of them.

I use an aeorsol spray meant for tires. It's called One Touch or something similar - they're all about the same. I like the aerosol function for reaching down among the lower hoses. Spray liberally, let soak for 10 minutes then use a towel to wipe the excess away.

Ok, so it appears the consensus it that Armour All is bad. How about Simple Green? No one seems to question it. It seems to do amazing things, but it is also highly corrosive. We aren't allowed to use it on our aircraft for that reason. I suppose if you make sure you rinse well, no worries?

Bill

Simple Green cleans like a champ, but is very acidic. I have used it before without damage, but I doubt I will again. I would be most worried about it getting into rubber places, like valve stems or under the ends of hoses, and weakening them. As you mentioned, be sure to rinse well.

wildbill846 said:
Ok, so it appears the consensus it that Armour All is bad. How about Simple Green? No one seems to question it. It seems to do amazing things, but it is also highly corrosive. We aren't allowed to use it on our aircraft for that reason. I suppose if you make sure you rinse well, no worries?

Bill

I'm not sure that still holds true today. Like DP mentioend, the formula was redone to remove the harmful products so it should be safe now.

Simple Green

I did not know Simple Green was acidic, what does that mean? But I have been using it LIBERALLY on my cars and others for over 10 years with no problems. I use it diluted 1:1 for engines, wheels, inner fenders, even tough interior dirt. It seems completely safe to me.

I used to have a chart with the pH of popular cleaning agents, but I can't seem to find it. From that list, Simple Green was one of the most acidic. The more acidic, the more corrosive.

I'm not claiming SG is unsafe, I more want to caution you to be sure to rinse well. It also helps to dilute the product.

I have used it full strength on several occasions when I pulled the wheels off my car and detailed them. I have also used it on the wheels wells at full strength without damage. The key is to not use it on a hot surface and be sure to rinse with a good stream of water.

Back