• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

changing pistons

Does anyone know if you can change your pistons in an NSX from the bottom. In some cars you can unbolt the rod from the crank and remove the piston and rod from the bottom, instead of removing the entire engine. Can this be done in an NSX??

Well you would need to remove the crank as well, which means a lot of other stuff up front including the timing belt. So I think it would be a huge PIA at best. Is the reason to try, a lack of facilities to drop the engine?

I'd also question whether the value of that approach since the cylinders may be scored or at least need a fine hone so new rings would seat.

Not Necessarily

Well you would need to remove the crank as well.....

This may be an apples-to-oranges comparison between engines, but something to consider.

Many years ago, a friend of mine spun rod bearings in his small block Chevy. By unbolting the rod caps then rotating the throws of the crankshaft out of the way, he was able to pull the piston-rod assy down towards him. Replace the con rod bearings, reverse the procedure and presto new bearings for the con rods!

Now the "v" angle of the two engines may be a deciding factor, but if the geometry lends itself, it might just be possible to change pistons in the NSX w/o engine removal.

Great question!!

Yes, it is possible, however, the work is much more difficult, and you'll find that it out of the car, dealing with the t-belt, bearings, etc. makes the job much easier out of the car. Having the motor out also lets you do a look over that is not possible with it being in the car. Good luck. :)

By unbolting the rod caps then rotating the throws of the crankshaft out of the way, he was able to pull the piston-rod assy down towards him.
Bingo!!....That's the same type of engine I worked on a while back (long while) and that's what we did. We just rotated the crank out of the way.
dealing with the t-belt, bearings, etc. makes the job much easier out of the car.
I don't want to touch the timing belt, I have 34,000 miles on my car. If I can leave the crank in place I shouldn't have to touch the timing belt.
Is the reason to try, a lack of facilities to drop the engine?
Yes, I have no place to lift my car. It was real easy when all I had to do was lift my CRX engine out the top :( Now I'm screwed.

Actually...I should tell you why I was thinking of this. There is nothing, absolutely nothing is wrong with my car. Next spring I plan on doing some FI kit (don't know which one yet) If I plan on going turbo I would really like to lower my compression, or at least change to forged pistons. I won't be going with radical boost, probably only about 7-9 lbs max. However, I have been reading on a bunch of posts that the absolute safest way is to change out the pistons, it makes sense. But, there is nothing wrong with my engine so I really don't want to take it out, especially since I can't in my garage.

I know it can be done on many V engines but I thought it was not possible on the NSX due to the angles involved. I may be wrong, but I looked at then when I tore down the parts engine I bought a year or so ago and thought there was not room. I can test it without too much effort if no one is really positive.

However, I still think it would be a bad idea to do as you suggest without at least honing the cylinders.

Gerry,

Without getting too much into turbos, I don't want to get spanked for posting in the wrong forum. How do you feel about running 7-9 lbs max with stock inetrnals? Also, I mean turbo with intercooler, and proper fuel setup

John

jadkar said:

Without getting too much into turbos, I don't want to get spanked for posting in the wrong forum. How do you feel about running 7-9 lbs max with stock inetrnals? Also, I mean turbo with intercooler, and proper fuel setup
TurboNSX has been running GJ's turbo at those boost levels with stock internals along with air to air intercooler and aquamist. Just search his user name and you will find some of his posts interesting.

TurboNSX has been running GJ's turbo at those boost levels with stock internals along with air to air intercooler and aquamist. Just search his user name and you will find some of his posts interesting.
Very cool....thanks :D

BTW - Happy B-Day!!!! (day late)

Back