• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

WTB: OEM Radio/Stereo

My head unit lights up but does not work (no sound). My local stealer cannot find any problems with fuses and says it should be replaced.

I am familiar with the speaker amp problem like most owners who have had the car longer than a day...I had the center channel speaker replaced in `95 ($700) and both the door speakers rebuilt ($150) in `98. I do not want an after market system because I prefer to keep the car stock with the exception of wheels. I could rebuild my head unit but I figure the cost would be about the same or cheaper to just drop another unit in from someone that did an audio upgrade on their car.

Last edited:
Good to know you have things under control. I am allways suspect of any diagnosis by the dealer or any one for that mater. I hope they checked all the fuses there is a seprate one for the amps and there is also the Muting circuit for the cell phone. I still am not convinced that the head unit should be condemned.

Fuse 33 powers the head unit, fuse 51 powers the amps, does your antenna go up when you turn on the head unit. There is also a relay for the amps that could be bad.

Last edited:
Good knowledge

Brian,
Thanks for the info. I doubt the stealer did much...They're just trying to get me to buy a $1k stereo. These are the guys that told me I needed a window motor when all I needed was the Dali fit-it. I was unaware of the Muting circuit for the cell phone and I will have to look at it. I'll relook the fuses myself also and see if they're okay.

The issue is the stereo lights up and gets power... just no sound. The antenna activates when I turn on the stereo and I hear the slight pop from the speaker showing they just powered up when I turn the system on. I do not drive the car much and often have the battery die. The stereo worked fine until I jumped started the car...which made me initially think it was a fuse.

What else could I check?

If the antenna goes up and you get the power up bump from the speakers the only thing left is the mute circuit. Unless you have a factory cell phone connected that is not going to be it. When you jump started the car did you use the jump start terminal in the engine bay or did you go directlly to the battery? Right now I would say its about 95% chance you do have a bad head unit. I know there are used ones available, do a search here on prime using junkyard+used+parts.

Back