• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

the name...

I hope...but histort says no:

CRX = Del Sol
Vigor = TL
Legend = RL (how could they kill the Legend :( :( :( )
Integra = RSX

Am I forgeting any??

jadkar said:
I hope...but histort says no:

CRX = Del Sol
Vigor = TL
Legend = RL (how could they kill the Legend :( :( :( )
Integra = RSX

Am I forgeting any??

On the flip side:

Accord = Accord (8 generations.. I think)
Prelude = Prelude (4 or 5 generations before getting the ax)
Civic = Civic (7 generations)

Not to Mention that Acura is going for the whole _ _ X thing

TSX, MDX, RSX, NSX

HSC doesn't quite fit the scheme.

like I said before, although I'm very very excited with those pictures of HSC, if this car ever going to sell near or under the price of the current nsx, I rather they keep the name of the HSC.

I mean, nsx, is an nsx, nothing can compared to it, think about how radical and earth shaking when they came out in 1990??

I vote for a real name and retire the " NSX jersey". The alpha-numeric nomenclature has become meaningless. NSX stood for something, TL, CL, MDX, RSX dosn't. What's japanese for bullet?

it used to be NSX (New Sports car eXperiment)

it should now be NSX (Next Sports car eXperiment)

any votes out there?:)

The NSX name should end with the current model and not be carried forward with the HSC. This is one area where I believe Ferrari gets it right. They typically end a model and bring out a new designation. This format IMHO gives the outgoing model its own unique existence in the chain of development. :cool:

FGG said:
The NSX name should end with the current model and not be carried forward with the HSC. This is one area where I believe Ferrari gets it right. They typically end a model and bring out a new designation. This format IMHO gives the outgoing model its own unique existence in the chain of development. :cool:

That certainly works when the brand carries more marketing weight then the model. And that isn't the case with Acura. Evolutions of the same model influence those who've had positive experience with the older model...thus producing loyalty...thus producing sales...that hopefully go beyond the scope of just owning the same model but in new form. For example, I enjoy the performance, quality, and workmanship of my NSX so much, that when my family needs a four door or SUV, I'll shop the Acura/Honda brand first.

Seems that the renaming of each subsequent model is a hallmark of the super-exotics that make ONLY supercars (eg. Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston-Martin, etc.) Companies that produce mainly mundane cars seem to retain their halo model name across generations (eg. Corvette, Viper, Z, SL500, M3/M5, etc.) So the real question is, should Honda continue with the status quo of its own marque by retaining the NSX name OR aspire the new car to be more upmarket by renaming it.

Frankly I think renaming the car would do more damage by weakening, not strengthening, the halo effect of the NSX from the last 12 years. Better to keep the NSX in hearts and minds as the outstanding and enduring performance/engineering hallmark from Honda. Few average enthusiasts appreciate Honda's racing and performance history as it is.

I agree in part with your opinions Ponyboy and CokerRat, however, your collective comments speak as much to separating the NSX name from the next model as they do for maintaining continuity of the name. Honda/Acura will undoubtedly be driven by marketing, etc. in the decision concerning the name. As owners, even through second hand existence, we have the luxury of assessing this issue from the purely subjective and biased wishful basis. Even in this regard there will be those who want the name to remain and those, like me, who believe a car which departs in form and substance so much from the original should have its own identity. I would not like to believe the NSX falls into the "mundane" car identity but, instead is a true supercar for its ground breaking engineering. I don't compare the NSX to the Corvette or Viper, and to the extent Mercedes continues the identity of its car from one generation to the next there is usually some difference in the numbering based on engine size which becomes similar to the Ferrari growth chart progression of 308, 328, 348, 355 and 360.

If the new "NSX" is not called such, then in reality it will not be the second generation of any model, just the classic out with the old and in with the new.

When you look at the RL do you think Legend? Not really (IMO)

When you look at the RSX do you think Integra? Likely (IMO)

I think that the NSX moniker should absolutely remain, linking the old and new model in name and spirit!

:D :D

Back