• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Worst City For Pro Sports

Im putting our city right at the top we have the falcons.....they suck without Mike Vick..........we have the hawks.......they suck.....we have the thrashers........they have always sucked but doing ok this season two games in................and we have the braves............ive spent enough time on them already.....can you top that .............i don't think so.......but i still love atlanta........or at least the suberbs of atlanta

oh nice try brian2by2 but they have the bulls who suck now but have been great..........and the bears at one time like in 85 had the best team around..........and im not a big hockey fan but i think at one time the blackhawks were good........now ill give you the white sox and the cubs but .........we still beat them anyone else care to take a stab at it and you folks in detroit dont even try it .......yes the tigers and lions are pathetic and a few years ago the pistons were gimmes for the opposition .......but your redwings are always pretty good so once again you lose ........it looks like we are the champions at something in Atlanta

I dont know but if you want to throw in old days, then you cant say Altanta because the Braves are usually up there year in and year out and have been ever since going from worst to first in the early 90's.

So lets alienate a large city with only one or two teams. Cleveland and Cincinnati are getting my votes for now. The Chargers arent lighting up any shows either.....

I would normally have to throw in Minneapolis... but this year we seem to be doing pretty well. Mo - Elite.

oh you might have me the chargers and the padres are pretty embarrasing.......they dont have basketball but of course they used to have the clippers and we all know how good they are.......and they don't have hockey so you might have something there......it might be close but overall i would have to say that the chargers over the long haul season to season are better than the falcons......and the braves....as ive said we can't win when it counts if the padres were league champions 12 years in a row i bet they would have more than one pennant.......so close but now cigar we are still the champs or chumps whatever

elite you have no chance.......your twins beat us in the world series in i think 91 and continue to be pretty decent with one of the lowest payrolls in baseball.....your vikings made us look like a bunch of school girls in the second half a few weeks ago....and im pretty sure you have a hockey team i know the northstars used to be there but dont you have the wild or something like that up there regardless even if it is a good varsity highschool team they could probably give the thrashers all they could handle....nice try though

ah i knew that one was coming the cities that don't have teams so just be quiet mr....spoiled bacon......well i beg to differ.......your state has the diamondbacks which beat the crap out of us once or twice in the past few years.........yes your cardinals blow but i bet they could give us a good game and if it is played out there in the desert you would probably win since we are used to an airconditioned dome.......and the suns..........would just destroy our lowly hawks so maybe your city is lacking a team but as a state you cant even sit at the same table with us

I think the closet city to ours for being losers has to be Cleveland..........I hate to put them up there because i am a big indians fan and i like the browns...but they are pretty bad and our one pennant did come over the indians........the cavaliers are always as humiliating as the hawks and last i checked they dont have a hockey team so maybe cleveland is more pathetic than us....but cleveland fans are pretty intense...those dog faced guys in the endzone...jacobs field always sold out.......even when the indians are losing....its close but when you factor in fan support i would still put us at the top of the loser chart with maybe cleveland right behind......cincinnati is right behind just because the bengals uniforms are embarassing and need to be burned but the reds have great tradition granted it was 30 years ago but ill take that reds team in the 70's anytime.....

Well, the Braves may not win many Championships but they are consistently good. I mean, with only 1 championship to be won each year in any given sport, we cant measure success overall by winning it all.

Whoever has the fewest professional teams, but at least one team, has the best chance of grabbing the "Worst Pro City" label.

bacon said:
elite you have no chance.......your twins beat us in the world series in i think 91 and continue to be pretty decent with one of the lowest payrolls in baseball.....your vikings made us look like a bunch of school girls in the second half a few weeks ago....and im pretty sure you have a hockey team i know the northstars used to be there but dont you have the wild or something like that up there regardless even if it is a good varsity highschool team they could probably give the thrashers all they could handle....nice try though

Bacon, make up your mind. Is this contemporary or elapsed over time??? The braves were a huge success in the mid-late 90s...even early 90s. The Falcons weren't too horrible last year or the year before and didn't they win the big game 4 or 5 years ago??

Taking the bears all the way back to 85 and the bulls to the mid 90s is a little hypocritical...

oh brian i have to do whatever i can to win.......win the big game.... falcons you must be kidding...we got there but denver showed us real quick like that we didn't belong....don't get me wrong most of what i am saying is in fun because besides football i am the biggest fair weather fan there is .....i pretty much root for whatever city i live in.........i live near atlanta so i root for the braves but i dont really get upset when they lose.....pro basketball i could really care less......hockey hard to get into it always living in a warm climate......but football......been a dolphins fan since i was 3 and my dad took me to see them in their undefeated season of 72.......and i haven't had a lot to cheer about since the mid to late 80's........it seems we play great at the beginning of the season then something happens the last three weeks maybe this year will be different.....

bacon said:
ah i knew that one was coming the cities that don't have teams so just be quiet mr....spoiled bacon......well i beg to differ.......your state has the diamondbacks which beat the crap out of us once or twice in the past few years.........yes your cardinals blow but i bet they could give us a good game and if it is played out there in the desert you would probably win since we are used to an airconditioned dome.......and the suns..........would just destroy our lowly hawks so maybe your city is lacking a team but as a state you cant even sit at the same table with us

But your thread said "Worst City for Pro Sports" And since the Diamondbacks, Cardinals, and Suns are all in Phoenix, then I win! :p

Well, now that I think of it, we might have the worst STATE!!!

Ya, we got a team going to the World Series, but their total attendance for the season was probably close to the total attendance for the post season!! Pretty sad! So, ya the Marlins are having a good year, other than that:

Heat: HAHAHAHAHA

Panthers: Good run at the Stanley Cup once...Colorado destroyed us...nothing since then

Dolphins: Can you say December?? and the Undefeated team is living in the past....

Jax Jags: Ha.

Tampa Bay Bucs: ok, ya got me there, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Tampa Bay Devil Rays: J-O-K-E

Tampa Bay Lightning: are they still a team???

So, we have 2 out of 7, but the remaining 5 (minus the fins) are so embarassing, they cancel out the 2 ;)

bacon said:
oh you might have me the chargers and the padres are pretty embarrasing.......they dont have basketball but of course they used to have the clippers and we all know how good they are.......and they don't have hockey so you might have something there......it might be close but overall i would have to say that the chargers over the long haul season to season are better than the falcons......and the braves....as ive said we can't win when it counts if the padres were league champions 12 years in a row i bet they would have more than one pennant.......so close but now cigar we are still the champs or chumps whatever
bacon,

Don't just stop there. San Diego sports just OUTRIGHT suck!!!

1) Chargers stink!! When it's good enough to make it to the SB, they run into a powerful offensive machine that is the 94-95 Niners. And I don't care what people say, those "Powder Blue" uniforms are lame.

2) Padres stink!! When it's good enough to make it to the WS, they run into powerful teams like the 84 Tigers and the 98 Yankees. But then again, at least the Padres never had the audacity to say they were "America's team".

3) Basketball stinks here. Clippers left, but good riddence. Rockets left. End up winning a championship many years later. No major pro team anytime soon.

4) Hockey....no major pro team anytime soon. Have a winning minor league team, but that's small potatoes.

5) Aztec football sucks!! Always on the cusp of "competing". Screw competing!!! I want to win big. Shoulda beat Ohio State when you had the chance!! At least UGA is usually a good team for you.

6) No quality race track here!!! Sucks!!!!

7) We did win many indoor soccer championships, but who really cares about that.

Well, at least recreational sports here is really good.

And our weather is nice. :)

-Randy

My vote goes to Cincinnatti.

Not sure they qualify as pro teams but DAMN. The bengals are lucky to have a 10 win decade.

furynsx the aztecs may suck but the school is great for parties and i always liked the red and black they wore years ago not sure what they are wearing now i know they have changed the helmets since i visited........you've got me on the weather.....hate to say it but thats really the only thing i miss about california...you can't beat the weather.....

Yup, you can't beat the nice sunshine WITHOUT the humidity. :)

As for the Aztecs, their colors still look pretty cool. Their helmet is red with a cool dark fade around the cage area. I like it when they wear black on black at night. Pretty imtimidating looking. Now, if only they played that way. ;)

-Randy

Cinci is pretty bad- can't argue that.

BUT,

How about Houston(my home town). Except for the 2 years that the rockets were NBA Champs, they(Houston) really really suck. Let's see:

1. Astros: come close or make it to playoffs every year only to get swept or blown out in the 1st round.

2. Houston Oilers: remember the Buffalo 31 pt. comeback in the second half of a AFC playoffs. I think that was 1990. They sucked so bad, they left town, only to make it to the superbowl as the Titans.

3. Texans: first of all, what kind of name is that for a team. Come on. Do u see anybody else pull it off, eg. San Diego Californians, Minneapolis Minnesotans. Its a little early to call them failures. Actually, they are doing better then expected.

4. NHL: no hockey in Houston.

Last edited:
Brian2by2 said:
Taking the bears all the way back to 85 and the bulls to the mid 90s is a little hypocritical...
It isn't hypocritical when you've lived here during that period.

The White Sox and Cubs both vary from mediocre to fairly good - not great, but watchable with some outstanding players. Sure, the Bears and Bulls suck today. But I've lived here 30 years, long enough to watch the greatest basketball player of all time (and possibly the greatest basketball team of all time) for most of a decade, and the greatest football running back of all time who went what, 14 years without missing a start - and kept churning out over four yards a carry even when he was the only thing the team had, and everyone knew he would get the ball almost every play. These were remarkable players, and I can't imagine that any other city would be a more exciting place to watch sports. I saw a football team whose defense was so good that they won both its playoff games on the way to the Super Bowl by shutouts, a feat that hasn't been accomplished before or since.

And I'm not even a diehard fan of the Chicago teams. Especially the ones that never make it to the big time. But I appreciate good players and good teams, whether I am rooting for them or not.

oh mr viperdriver the only thing i like about new mexico is when i either see the border to arizona or the border to texas depends on which way i am traveling.....nice mountains though.plus i try not to live in cities i cant even spell...as far as the whining it is what i do best just ask my wife...:D ............and nsxluvr at least the astros had those cool uniforms of the 70's don't know what was worse those or cincinnati's bengal uniforms .......hum maybe i have thought of a new thread.......:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back