• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Auto attractions in Detroit and area?

My son and I will be coming in to Detroit for the Auto Show mid Jan. Any recommendations for 'do not miss' auto attractions in the area? Wouldn't mind touring some design centers if that's possible. I haven't found much on websites and AAA guides other than the Ford and Chrysler museums... but maybe I'm not looking in the right spot. Definitely want to cruise some of Woodward to get the feel in case we're able to attend the Aug cruise in the future.
Tks in advance for all suggestions.

There are at least two auto related museums on the perimeter of the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village complex. I also believe they are or will be starting tours of the Rouge Factory complex. You might want to contact several of the local Chambers of Commerce for additional info. Enjoy your visit.:D

Tks for the feedback guys. Most of the websites seem to be the generic tourist trap kind (ie. not auto enthusiast specific) so I was hoping for some local insight on stuff that wouldn't be on the radar screen of the typical AAA or Chamber of Commerce. I'll keep looking

Carguy is correct! Henry Ford Museum is a must see!
Prova4re should know something interesting! Try and PM him!

The Henry Ford Museum is a MUST see! Greenfield Village I would pass on, at that time of year its to cold to be walking around out side.
The test track is close to the Museum, but not much will be going on.

You will see the worlds biggest tire located on 94 near the airport.
They did take the worlds biggest nail out of it.
Some one bought it and now its showing up at all the big events around town. :rolleyes:

If your going to cruise Woodward your not going to see much at this time of year. But I would stop at Autoeurope at the 14 mile rd area. They have a few unique cars there that you dont see everyday.
I would also stop at Cauley Ferrari and check out Federov yellow Enzo that is on display there. They have 30 plus F cars there to see,
and a nice place to pick up some t shirts stickers etc.

Rouge Factory complex is a must see. There new place is so nice and seeing the old plants near the new one its like night and day.
Its going to look like central park in the middle of New Yourk city.
Later Brian.

Tks very much Brian for the add'l feedback and tips re: Ferrari and Autoeurope. I wasn't expecting to see anything on Woodward . .just get a feel for it in case I ever came back.
Do you know of any places in Detroit or Windsor that are good sources for 1:18 diecast cars? It's a passion/sickness for my son .. I think he's over 130 at last count. Do they typically have dealers at the show? I know that they have in Toronto the last two years.

Cheers

There is a car place, I tink its called auto speed or somthing like that. If your going north on Woodward, It is located just past 14 mile on the right side. Next to Hathorne home audio. They have models lots of books and Dream cruse stuff. The guys there are really helpful and can give you more info on whats going on in the area.
Man I cant remember what the exact name of there shop is?
But its next to a Cottage inn pizza place. I think Carguy would know the name of it. You might want to pm him.

The guys from Cauley help out at the Ferrari booth all week long.
Sales reps as well as the service guys.

Its roped off to the public, but if your an owner they let you in and they have food and cocktails in the back.
Later Brian.

NSX2398 said:

Do you know of any places in Detroit or Windsor that are good sources for 1:18 diecast cars? It's a passion/sickness for my son .. I think he's over 130 at last count

nankin hobbies on ford road carries a huge selection of die cast cars. they have some that even have carpeting... talk about detail!

here's their website:
www.allhobbystore.com

Back