• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

They knew and they sent it anyways

The disease was found in a Holstein cow, which could not move on its own, from a farm in Mabton, Wash., about 40 miles southeast of Yakima. Tissue samples were taken on Dec. 9, and eventually tested positive for BSC. Parts of the cow that would be infected — the brain, the spinal cord and the lower part of the small intestine — were removed before the animal went to a meat processing plant — standard operating procedure in this country.

full article

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031224/ap_on_he_me/mad_cow&cid=541&ncid=716

I still don't understand this, any cows that are sick are not to be used for human consumption. If it can't walk to it's own slaughter it's sick. Looks like a lot of common sense has gone out of the window in the name of profit.

"But because the brain-wasting disease is usually transmitted through contaminated feed and has an incubation period four to five years, it is "important to focus on the feed where she was born" in 1999, USDA chief veterinarian Ron DeHaven said. "

THIS IS VERY DISTURBING!!!!

read a few chapters of the jungle by upton sinclair

WOODY said:
read a few chapters of the jungle by upton sinclair

And even better, read last year's Fast Food Nation. Reading it was very, very, eye opening. It is not that we cannot have a safe, healthy supply of beef, but it's that the production and processing methods are OBSCENE! For example, why do people get hamburger contaminated by E. coli? Because processors have increased line speed in plants (something like 400% over even a few years ago)...such that a cow cannot be accurately and properly eviscerated. So what do you get? The intestinal contents of many cows inexorably mixed into a batch with the meat from the 'proceeds' of hundreds of other cows. And during certain times of the year, E. coli has a natural spike in its incidence...to the point where it is present in a non-trivial percentage of cows. It's a wonder people aren't sick right and left...

Read the book! While it hasn't caused me to go out and become a vegan, I'll tell you one thing, we make damn sure that hamburger meat is cooked like crazy when we serve it.

NowSeeX's said:
"But because the brain-wasting disease is usually transmitted through contaminated feed and has an incubation period four to five years, it is "important to focus on the feed where she was born" in 1999, USDA chief veterinarian Ron DeHaven said. "

THIS IS VERY DISTURBING!!!!

I only wish I could say I'm surprised.

Does anyone really believe that this is the only animal in the United States infected with this? If you do, you already have the human variant of BSE. The feed is infected because parts of the animals that can't be sold on the shelf, and what's not ground up into hot dogs, hamburger, etc. , is/has been fed back to the herds as part of their "diet", along with all of the antibiotics and growth hormones, etc. And much of it is fed to hogs and chickens, so don't think you're immune if you just don't eat beef.
Sick animals, "Downers" as they are called, are routinely slaughtered and placed into the food chain, all in the name of profits. If they can't walk to their deaths, they are bulldozed or hoisted by crane.
In the early '90s legislation was proposed to ban the use of Downers in the food supply. The legislation was originally proposed because, at the same time, the European Union voted to ban US beef imports. The fight went on back and forth until this year, just a few months ago, when it was defeated. I'll bet that this will make them want to change their minds ( if they have any minds left )
A point to consider: Many scientists believe that Alzheimer's is a human variant of BSE.
Just another reason to be a vegetarian.

NSXLNT said:
A point to consider: Many scientists believe that Alzheimer's is a human variant of BSE.

Do you have any links you could post about the above? I am interested in reading anything you may know of.

Back