• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For Those Who Like to DRIVE Their NSX!

Greetings to all NW NSX'rs this holiday season. Hope you have had a wonderful holiday so far and are looking to a great New Year. To get the New Year started off I have decided to announce the HWY 25 NSX drive. I have talked about this for the last few months at the club lunches and have finally put the details in place. On Sunday, Feb. 8th I will lead a trip through some of the nicest driving roads in central Calif. The main route starts in Holister and heads down Hwy 25 to Hwy 198. This picture gives you some idea of the type of road and scenary that we will travel through.

Then down through Hwy 198 to the town of Coalinga. The ride then loops back north on Los Gatos Road through more hills and picturesque central Cal. scenary. More info about these rouds can be found at the following site:
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway25.htm

Here is a description of the drive from a motorcycle enthusiast.

"63 Miles of Bliss"

Hwy 25 is marked a scenic road on the map. I never know what that means when I head on down into the unknown.

On the other hand, Hwy 25 headed south out of Hollister (home to one of California's biggest biker rallies) is a wild ride! It's one of these forgotten roads surrounded by bigger and better well traveled rides. I-5 to the east, Hwy 101 to the west. In between is this little gem and any motorcyclist will love this road!.

Fresh pavement, road headed off into the distance. I can go fast. I can go slow. See Dick play. See Dick grin. No people. Very few cars. Flip down the throttle lock, right hand on my hip, nothing but the sound of the motor and wind whipping past. Tranquil. Nothing quite like it. You must ride this road on your motorcycle. Leave the car at home.
- Obviously this guy is not an NSX owner.

We will want to start early so plan on meeting at the Starbucks located in the Outlet Mall in Gilroy by 8:30 AM. Plan on filling up the tank and making last minute checks, as there are really no services until Coalinga! Once on the road I plan to have some stops setup to enjoy the scenary, take pix, setup a high speed run to shoot a movie, and plan a picnic - weather permitting. If you have a club radio, please bring it to set up a safe zone for the movies.

Let me know if you are interested so I can send you the detailed e-mail with maps and pix of the area. I will be posting more here soon so stay tuned.

I want to thak the host of Pashnit.com for providing a great resource on the roads of CA and allowing me to borrow some great material about this route.

Cheers and Happy New Year to you all,

1NSX2GO

Wow, that looks like a great ride! I wish it was on the following weekend though, as I have the President's Day holiday off on the following Monday. Any hope to postpone it a week?

Wow, the drive sounds great. I and four other NSX's went on this drive (I think) several months ago and if it's the same, it really is a great drive. I remember it very well because it was on this very drive that a stone cracked my windshield :( .

Looking forward to the drive. Hopefully the weather will be good. Either weekend will be okay but the 8th is the best for me.

It's a nice stretch of road. My wife and I took it one day while trying to avoid traffic on 5 while coming home from So Cal.

Now that I have my NSX, it would be fun to do it again. It would also be a pleasure to meet up with some of you bay area owners and enthusiasts. Barring some unforseen circumstance we hope to see you there. Like Jonathan, it's in my backyard.

The north end of this drive connects to I-5 via Little Panoche Road and Panoche Road. See http://www.geocities.com/myfsixteen/ltpnoch.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/myfsixteen/pnoche1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/myfsixteen/pnoche2.jpg

This road (together with a long, boring stretch of I-5) also constitutes an alternate return path in case there is any concern about possible undesirable encounters returning north on Highway 25.

If I go I'll probably get up early enough to reach Little Panoche Road by 7AM and meet at Gilroy. As I recall, the run from I-5 to Tres Pinos is almost an hour at a respectable clip.

HWY 25 Drive UPDATE

Hi everyone,

I wanted to put out an update about the Hwy 25 drive coming up on February 8th. I have put together the complete route with mileage details. The trip will start in Gilroy and heads south with Coalinga as the turn around location. We will return back to Hollister traveling mostly on a different set of roads to make the most of our exploration of central CA scenery. With the help of the AAA maps I have come up with the following mileage points.

Gilroy to Hollister: 16 miles
Hollister to the Hwy 198 junction via Hwy 25: 60 miles
Hwy 198 to the Coalinga: 33 miles
Coalinga to Hwy 25 via Coalinga-Los Gatos Rd: 50 miles
Hwy 25 to Old Airline Rd: 27 miles
Old Airline Rd. to Hollister via Cienega Rd.: 20 miles
Hollister to Gilroy: 16 miles

Total mileage works out to almost 250 miles. This should put the event in the category of Grand Touring! Because the route we will take travels through such a quiet and less traveled part of CA, the number of places to stop and grab a bite or snack is almost non-existent. Make sure to pack a good supply of your favorite goodies to hold you until we reach Coalinga. Bathrooms are also in short supply so a stop at the Pinnacles Natl. monument will be a good idea for both the scenery and for those who might need a break at that time. Once we hit Coalinga we can stop at the Harris Ranch Country Kitchen for lunch. I have heard the food is very good but I have not been there myself. Has anyone eaten there? What did you think?
The last part of the trip will pass through San Benito wine country. I am working on a last stop at a small winery called DeRose Vineyards in the Cienega Valley. Besides the winery, they have a small auto collection as well. Debbie Reynolds ‘57 Lincoln Continental and a number of other old cars are on display here. This will be a full day event so you will probably have to tape the Pro-Bowl but you should all be home in time for the Grammy’s. Looking forward to seeing you on the ride. It will definitely be a good trip in the NSX.

Cheers,

1NSX2GO

Start info

From earlier post:
"We will want to start early so plan on meeting at the Starbucks located in the Outlet Mall in Gilroy by 8:30 AM. "

1NSX2GO said:
Once we hit Coalinga we can stop at the Harris Ranch Country Kitchen for lunch. I have heard the food is very good but I have not been there myself. Has anyone eaten there? What did you think?

I had the pleasure of staying at Harris Ranch (there is a hotel there too) and had dinner at the resturante. The steak is to die for. I'm not a beef eater but "When in Rome" so I tried the Filet Minon and, oh my goodness, I got some frozen meat to take home. Best I've ever had (but like I said, I'm not a beef eater so it may have just been of a standard quality). I do hope we stop there for lunch, my mouth is watering now as I think about it.

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to this drive :p .

HWY 25 UPDATE

Well folks it looks like we are one week away and the latest weather searches indicates a partly sunny day in the Gilroy area. With luck we might get a day like yesterday (Saturday). I will feel better when we are in the 72-48 hour window.

What I need to do is to try to get a head count of who is still on for the trip next Sunday down Hwy 25 to Coalinga and back. I need to call the winery and set up a tour and try to give them some type of expectation as to how many to expect. If you could, please let me know if you are still 1) Positve you will be there or 2) Possibly will be there. Please also indicate the # of people going with you. This will help out with alot of the planning.

Another item is radios. Does anyone have a club radio that are typically used when we do a NSXCA drive? I have one and it would be good to to have a few to communicate when doing some of the faster sections for safety and possible CHP sightings (not very likely but you can never be too safe in this department). Those w/ radar detection can also be of use in this area.

I hope to have my video camera back from the shop and get a good group flyby and some other shots as we travel the route. If anyone has some other suggestions for pix or videos let me know so I can get the equipment setup and try out before we go.

Steve, If you are heading south on 880 to Gilroy sunday morning, I will be leaving here in Dublin in the same direction. We could meet here at 580/680 interchange or I could shoot down the 580 to 880 and hook up with you in San Leandro and we can then head down together. Let me know what works for you.

Finally let's hope the sun spirit is shining down on Sunday and we get some gorgeous weather for the drive. See you all on Sunday.

Cheers,

1NSX2GO

I am 90% sure that I will be there and that my fiance will join me. Unless the weather looks like it did today, we are in :D

Pat: I'm all set to go with my wife if it doesn't rain.

A good meeting place for us would be at the Krispy Kreme @ Alvarado Niles exit after you shoot from 580 to 880.
I'll probably arrive a little early to get a sugar buzz. :p

Let me know what you think.

JeffNSX: You can meet us up there as well if you like.

Steve

Steve,

We will be there by 7:00AM. Looks like the KK is located at 32450 Dyer St. in Union City. For anyone else who plans on meeting there here are the directions from the 880/ Alvarado-Niles exit.

- Take the ALVARADO NILES ROAD exit.
- Turn RIGHT onto ALVARADO NILES RD.
- Turn LEFT onto DYER ST
- Meet at 32450 Dyer St Union City CA

Weather still shows SUNNY for the Gilroy to Coalinga area on Sunday.

Cheers,

1NSX2GO

Hi guys!!! I'm a definite maybe... depends on work. This is my first chance to put some serious miles on my car and I've never been on a drive before, so I'm really hoping everything pans out! See you later!!!

Ron

Romeo, Ron,

Hope things work out so you can make the drive. Forecast for Hollister on Sunday is .... SUNNY!!

1NSX2GO

My wife and I are still planning on making it (weather permitting of course).

I do have radar detection, but do not have the appropriate radio. I may know someone who has one that I can borrow. I will look into it.

-Brian

I'm in! This is my first club run.
Havn't been on a real drive since I drove my X out from KC.

I have a Valentine. No club radio.

1991, Blk/Blk, 5speed, Stock, Tubi exhaust

Back