• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch is hard, then soft?

Why is my clutch firm like a normal sports car perhaps is expected to be (or irritatingly so depending on how you look at it) and then after a while its soft like an accord. But then a few minutes later its back firm again. Does this have something to do with how warm it is? Do I need adjustment or fluid or what?

Its a 98 with 35k.

I have the same problem. I just bought my car and the dealer said they replaced the clutch and that its normal, but the damn thing is so hard to get into 1st and Reverse. Im pissed. I took it to some acura mechanic last night and he said they did something wrong cuz it shouldnt do that.....that it should be like butter.
Its really wierd.

My car goes into gear fine at al times. It's just that the pedal is either very easy or firm to push at different times. Do you feel this also? Or just ease and difficulty putting in gear?

Have it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing, the pedal action of an OEM clutch is very smooth and very light when everthing is correctly installed/adjusted.

I don't think its something like this. It moves smoothly and with no sounds or anything. I can just ever so slightly tell that its sometimes is easier than others. Feels more like either a normal thing or something simple...

My car does the same thing. When I go around a corner and give it hella gas and pretend like Im racing my clutch seems really soft then it weras off and it gets hard again and i cant get it into gear.

What the hell is wrong with my new baby

I had the same problem when I had my stock clutch. It sometimes would be so hard that I would get a cramp in my leg. Then after a little cruz on the highway it would get nice and soft. A few city miles later and it would get hard again.

I was told that it was clutch dust building up on the input shaft and that when you give it a lot of gas or run it on the highway for a while it will spin the dust off.

I was also told that this is because there is not enough grease on the shaft. I believe the fix is to pull the tranny and regrease but while you are at it you might as well replace the clutch.

I drove my car like this for about 2-3 months and it got gradually worse and worse....

I am on my third clutch. This one a Clutchmasters stage 4 ceramic.

This just sounds weird. I am on my second clutch in the street car and put a new clutch in the track car before I drove it home. I have never had any symptoms such as this.

If the shaft needs greasing, then why does it matter if it is a stock clutch or an aftermarket?

I need more specific symptoms. In the first post it is bad, then it is not really so bad. Then in another something about cornering, and lastly that you cannot get it into gear. Sounds like two or three different things going on. Can we get more specifics?

Thats because there are two different people chiming in about their symptoms.

I'm having similar problems on my 91. Clutch seems stiffer when cold, and when driven for a bit it gets softer. When car is let to cool down the pedal resistance gets harder again. I also noticed when it is cold its a bit spongy. The dealer is telling me it sounds like the slave cylinder is starting to go.

I had similar problems with my winter beater Mazda Mx-3 Precida V6. It was behaving the same way about a year ago, replaced the slave cylinder and problem went away. I don't know if this is indeed the problem. I'm waiting for it to get worse before having the dealer look at it again.

Thanks,

Back