• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Towels and Washing Mitts

What towels do you big brother NSX users use to wash and dry the car?

Oddly enough Ive been using a polishing rag (like the kind you use to take wax off with) to wash the car. This might be a stupid idea (so educate me) but I found it does a pretty good job.

100% sheeps wool wash mit to wash. Waffle weave MF towel to dry.

DGibb said:
Stores where I can pick these up?
I got my MF towel from Detailers Paradise. I have 3 (I think) wool mits - 2 thumbless and one w/thumb. You can pick them up just about anywhere, i.e., Autozone, etc. Can also get them from Detailers Paradise, Griot's, etc.

I also use MF towels to dry the car, also purchased from detailers paradise.

To wash the car, I use a plain white wash rag AND a wool mit. I use the wool mit first on the lower section of the car where most of the dirt builds up. Then on the rest of the car, I use the white wash rag. I love the white rag as it is easiest to see any dirt build up on it. The last thing you wanna do is get a little dirt between your rag and your paint on the most visible portions of the car.

Also a tip, using a separate bucket, do the wheels and tires first. That way you don't have water droplets sitting on your paint while you do your tires/wheels. This minimizes water spots.

Has anyone tried the Mr. Clean car wash stuff that is being advertised on TV. they are claiming there is no need to dry the car after it is washed and there are no water spots as well.

hlweyl said:

Also a tip, using a separate bucket, do the wheels and tires first. That way you don't have water droplets sitting on your paint while you do your tires/wheels. This minimizes water spots.
Good idea. I use a separate wool mit that has a thumb opening for the wheels, as you can grab spokes better.

KGP said:
Good idea. I use a separate wool mit that has a thumb opening for the wheels, as you can grab spokes better.

I personally dont like to use the wool mit because they are so thick they can trap dirt and sand which can hurt your clear coat.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
I personally dont like to use the wool mit because they are so thick they can trap dirt and sand which can hurt your clear coat.
That's odd, I look at it in the exact opposite way. My view is the more fiber depth available, the less likely that the actual surface area of being contaminated with dirt, etc. As to ridding the wool mit of dirt, etc., it's never been a problem where they have been too thick. I just make sure and swish around in the soap bucket often. I dunno, maybe you have a point.

KGP said:
That's odd, I look at it in the exact opposite way. My view is the more fiber depth available, the less likely that the actual surface area of being contaminated with dirt, etc. As to ridding the wool mit of dirt, etc., it's never been a problem where they have been too thick. I just make sure and swish around in the soap bucket often. I dunno, maybe you have a point.

The swishing part is very important .... if your really anal about it you would have a seperate bucket for the swishing then go to the clean car wash bucket for a dip then back to washing the car each time.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
The swishing part is very important .... if your really anal about it you would have a seperate bucket for the swishing then go to the clean car wash bucket for a dip then back to washing the car each time.
Well, it's just another bucket and an oz or two of detergent. Makes sense.

I use 100 percent cotton towels for the washing as well as the drying. You can get a bag of 48 for $12.83 at Sam's Club.

Griot's Garage puts out some real nice stuff.... if you want to pay for it. Their synthetic drying towel is the best towel I have ever used..... far superior to a shammy (it is larger and scoops water away better) and won't leave swirl marks like a supposedly- 100% cotton rag or a towel from Wal-Mart.

Back