• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Contractor help

Gents,
I will be interviewing a contractor next month. I will combine two rooms into one master bedroom which requires knocking down the middle wall to add a walkin closet and master bedroom.
How much would something like this cost? any contractor in Orange Cali can come help me out?

**This is NOT an addition to the house....JUST a small rearrangment. :D We can turn this to a BBQ party if we all pitch in? heheeh...............

The only complication that comes into play if the wall you want to tearout is a load bearing wall. Other than that its pretty easy. You still need to have blueprints and get permits even if you are doing it yourself.

thanks scott...I won't be doing it myself. I am good at destroying, but a little off when it comes to putting it back :D as I mentioned above, I will be interviewing contractor to do the job. I just need to get some feedbacks on question to ask, cost expectation and so forth.....

ss_md said:
The only complication that comes into play if the wall you want to tearout is a load bearing wall. Other than that its pretty easy. You still need to have blueprints and get permits even if you are doing it yourself.

Having worked in the trades for about 15 years I can tell you that the best way to judge a contractor is by his references (don't be shy, call many of them) and by his scheduling. The last thing you want is to be held up by the sheetrocker, or painter, or carpet or HVAC guy that is stuck on another job and will "get to you as soon as he's free".

what is the average cost per square foot I can expect...mister?

ChopsJazz said:
Having worked in the trades for about 15 years I can tell you that the best way to judge a contractor is by his references (don't be shy, call many of them) and by his scheduling. The last thing you want is to be held up by the sheetrocker, or painter, or carpet or HVAC guy that is stuck on another job and will "get to you as soon as he's free".

If you really want to protect yourself don't hire anyone that tells you you don't need a permit. Check with your local building dept. Make sure the contractor has a valid license and up to date liability insurance. Get photocopies, don't take his word. Then double check with the insurance agency and the juristiction that issues licenses in your area. Check with the better business bureau and/or local consumer protection dept as to any complaints against him. Do the same for any of the subs he wants to bring on the job. Get a list of names and license numbers. You will probably not need a plumber unless there is a vent stack in the wall that you want to remove, but I will bet you will need an electrician. Make sure that they all have worker's compensation insurance and that their employees are actually legal, tax paying & documented workers. If you hire a moonlighter, you'll probably have a less than satisfactory experience. Make sure that you get everything inspected by the local building dept. And absolutely make sure that you have a signed contract specifying exactly what to expect will be done for what price. Of course some hidden things are impossible to estimate, but get an upfront hourly rate for any Time/material extras. A common practice is to pay a third upfront upon signing a contract, a third at rough inspections and the final third at the point of final inspections/certificate of occupancy. Don't pay until you have the inspection cards signed by the building official.

I hope if you don't me turning this to a "checklist" for the interview..THANKS ALOT!!!!!! This is what I was looking for.

NSXLNT said:
If you really want to protect yourself don't hire anyone that tells you you don't need a permit. Check with your local building dept. Make sure the contractor has a valid license and up to date liability insurance. Get photocopies, don't take his word. Then double check with the insurance agency and the juristiction that issues licenses in your area. Check with the better business bureau and/or local consumer protection dept as to any complaints against him. Do the same for any of the subs he wants to bring on the job. Get a list of names and license numbers. You will probably not need a plumber unless there is a vent stack in the wall that you want to remove, but I will bet you will need an electrician. Make sure that they all have worker's compensation insurance and that their employees are actually legal, tax paying & documented workers. If you hire a moonlighter, you'll probably have a less than satisfactory experience. Make sure that you get everything inspected by the local building dept. And absolutely make sure that you have a signed contract specifying exactly what to expect will be done for what price. Of course some hidden things are impossible to estimate, but get an upfront hourly rate for any Time/material extras. A common practice is to pay a third upfront upon signing a contract, a third at rough inspections and the final third at the point of final inspections/certificate of occupancy. Don't pay until you have the inspection cards signed by the building official.

Calvin, You should have your chosen contractor name you as additional insured on his liability policy. Also we require labor and material releases for all billings. If we don't get current material releases we joint check the supplier to insure he is paid in full and the project is lien free. Let me know if you need other general contractors names and numbers.

Back