• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Completely taking apart the door...

I'm just curious how the door is put together? What are the main pieces to it?
As some of you know, I have some slight cosmetic damage to mine and instead of having the entire door replaced and loosing the original stickers, can I just replace the sheet metal outside? For example, can I buy the door used in white, remove just the sheet metal/outer skin that I need, paint it black, and then install it? I don't have the car here to see how it's put together.
Any help is greatly appreciated....
Regards
- Z

I have taken my door apart enough to fix the window regulators, but that was it. It was not too bad, but I would hate to go any further.

No.
Even on a steel vehicle what you are proposing to do would be a mess by the time you got the panel off and crimped back on.
You would destroy the aluminum skin on a NSX getting it off.
Steel panels on some doors are replaced in this manner, with a new, unused panel but not on your NSX.
A older Land Rover had aluminum outer panels over the steel shell with a gasket to prevent a galvanic reaction between the two metals. This was later abandoned on subsequent models.
Once these panels, door skins, are put on they are not meant to be removed unless you are replacing it with a new one.
The NSX is service with a entire shell.

pbassjo said:
No.
Even on a steel vehicle what you are proposing to do would be a mess by the time you got the panel off and crimped back on.
You would destroy the aluminum skin on a NSX getting it off.
Steel panels on some doors are replaced in this manner, with a new, unused panel but not on your NSX.
A older Land Rover had aluminum outer panels over the steel shell with a gasket to prevent a galvanic reaction between the two metals. This was later abandoned on subsequent models.
Once these panels, door skins, are put on they are not meant to be removed unless you are replacing it with a new one.
The NSX is service with a entire shell.

That's exactly what I needed to know.... ;)
mucho gracias!
- Z

Back