• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lower rib-cage pain...

A few weeks ago me and some buddies were playing full contact football. I was running with the ball this one play and there was about 5 guys trying to tackle me... anyways, somehow I got kneed in the right lower rib-cage really hard. It knocked the wind outta me, I shoulda stop right there, but NOooo... I walked it off and resume playing and everything seems to be ok and I didn't think much of it. Fast foward a few weeks, I was playing basketball and got elbowed in the exact same spot and although not nearly as painful it felt awful. That spot always seemed a bit sore in the past few weeks and as far as I can tell all ribs are in place. I already scheduled a doctor's appointment and hopfully get a more detail diagnosis with maybe an x-ray but it won't happend till next week. So in the mean time, does anyone have any idea what kinda injury I'm looking at? Could it just be internal bruising? Could my muscles be tenderized? Is it possible that I'll need surgery?

Think I'll have to give up running, basketball, and tennis in the meantime... :(

Thanks, :(

Sorry to hear of your pain. In case you hadn't read this, here is some online information on common causes of rib cage pain, please take it at face value. Also, does your insurance provider have a 24-hour nurse's line? You might want to give them a call, or go to the nearest urgent care (or even emergency room) if you think it might be the least bit serious.

Hope you feel better soon!

See a Dr. and make sure it isn't a broken rib. You do have a liver in that area.

It might be a pull in the small muscles that are located between the ribs. They can be very painful and take several months to heal.

Good luck.

hlweyl said:
See a Dr. and make sure it isn't a broken rib. You do have a liver in that area.

It might be a pull in the small muscles that are located between the ribs. They can be very painful and take several months to heal.

Good luck.

I hope it's just a small muscle damage... It felt ok during the following few weeks... It just started hurting again after I got elbowed again.

Going to see the doc this coming Tuesday. I really hope it's nothing major.

BTW, if it's a busted rib, there isn't a whole lot you can do anyway, other than take it easy and let it heal. In the meantime, you can get a rib belt and wrap yourself tightly under your shirt - that should provide some relief.

And no, I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!:D

LeftLane said:
BTW, if it's a busted rib, there isn't a whole lot you can do anyway, other than take it easy and let it heal.

...and it hurts like hell for a long time. I fell off a roof and broke 4 ribs years ago. The pain was almost unbearable. Even breathing hurt. It was on this day, laying in the hospital emergency room, that I had an epiphany about how people become drug addicts. I could never understand why until I had the injection IV of pain medication. I watched the needle go in felt the drug go up my arm into my heart and out through my body. Within 5 seconds I was at complete peace, thinking I want to feel this good all the time.

Firstly, can you touch the pain? If the pain is deeper or not reproduced by touching it will help to narrow down the prognosis.
Chances of a 'pulled' muscle are slim. More likely it is a frx or subluxed rib.
Any blood or pain upon #1 or #2? Pain w/ twisting or bending, coughing/sneezing. Any palpable muscle spasms on your back side?
Rib fractures are common, the severity depends on the type of break. Bracing is the most common tx.
Get checked. Get fixed.

Scott
plays Dr. MWF, mechanic TThSS

Back