• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Value

I am ready to buy an NSX, but would like your advice.

I checked out www.edmunds.com and www.kbb.com

I am very serious about a 91 Auto. The websites say "outstanding condition" with less than 25K miles should be $21K for "private party" and $26K for "retail". I will buy one for $26K...who has one?

I search this website's market ads and see them around $30K or higher. Why are values so far off? Appreciate your positive advice.

I want to buy an (auto) NSX for under $30K this month!

You shouldn't have any problems finding an auto for under 30K. Auto typically drops the resale value by $2500 or more. I drove on 92 auto with 80K that sold for 26 a year ago.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

I'm sure higher miles cars go for under 30k but it may be tough to find a really nice car with less than 25k miles for much less.

Pricing guides like Edmunds and KBB really do not reflect the actual market for the car because there are so very few excellent condition automatic NSXs with under 25k miles trading hands in a given year.

Those guides are just based on a formula used for all the cars in the book. If they can establish a price for say a typical 60k miles 1991 5-speed, they will plug that into their algorithm and it spits out what it thinks an auto with less than 25k miles should sell for.

I would recommend reading this post written by another member the other week about pricing on older lower mileage excellent condition NSXs. It covers many of the issues in detail: http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003890.html

Why is there such a difference between Edmonds and KBB? My 2000 Private retail at Edmunds says $65,000, while KBB says $83,000.

What's up with that?

------------------
'00 Candy Apple Blue / Black, #264

To be honest, for a special interest car, "book" is out the window.

An NSX should be looked at like a Ferrari or Lotus. It is only in the book because Acura makes it.

NSX production of certain combinations in certain years is so low, that only the market can determine the value.

If you are willing to take any color and either tranny, I would say that you should have no problem finding a solid 1991 for $30k.

Wanting an auto can be a double-edged sword, however (it was for me). It's true that most people don't want them, but that translates to *very* few existing examples. Auto production is a mere fraction of the already low total production. What this means in the aftermarket is that there is tougher competition among those that *do* want them.

Given these factors, trying to dip below $30k makes it a very tough search. Ask NetViper!
wink.gif

i agree, unless you really really want an auto, id go with a manual. too hard to find an auto with the mileage combination you want. high mileage manuals arent too hard to find---the condition you want may be a better starting point in your search.

good luck

Actually, I'd say most pricing guides, expecially Edmunds are way off on almost every model car, not just exotics. Your safest bet for most cars is Kelley Blue Book. Somewhere between retail/wholesale is where a fair price usually falls. Plus, insurance companies, dealers, etc. all recognize the KBB values. Many people negotiate the value of their wrecked vehicles with insurance companies according to those. Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc. are not even considered reliable or accurate sources by anyone in the industry and usually quote especially low prices. For a NSX, disregard everything. Book price on older models is way too low, and is way too high on higher models. Most importantly, follow the market, if you don't seem to be able to get a 1991 at 21k, then there probably aren't any.

Originally posted by Joe Rad:
I checked out www.edmunds.com and www.kbb.com

I am very serious about a 91 Auto. The websites say "outstanding condition" with less than 25K miles should be $21K for "private party" and $26K for "retail".

I just went into www.kbb.com and specified a '91 automatic with 25K miles for used car retail pricing and it says $31,210.

Joe,

Iam curious as George as to why you MUST have a auto? Personally, I have no idea why Acura created a exotic and mated a auto to it as a option.
confused.gif
confused.gif
The S2k, and the Integra GSR-TypeR are only offered with a stick which is the way it should be with the NSX.

What are you concerns?

To TRULY enjoy the NSX and all of its capabilities, a manual is the only option. You really cannot be at 'one' with the car when a computer is doing the shifting and the fondling of the car. Do you really want to be blindfolded when meeting woman? Think of being partially handicapped when driving a car, such as the NSX, with an auto. TRUST ME ON THIS If you do not know how to drive a manual, take the time and do. It will pay off infinitely in many respects.

I'd bet my left hand that the marketing execs had something to do with the Auto in a NSX, not the engineers.
frown.gif

Thanks,

-Nader

Originally posted by Prancing Horse:
To TRULY enjoy the NSX and all of its capabilities, a manual is the only option.

I disagree with this. As noted in another thread, there are many reasons that folks get automatics. Some folks drive their cars daily in cities with lots of traffic and hills. Some have medical conditions that make shifting difficult. And some folks must share their cars with family members who don't know how to drive stick. I'm sure there are lots of other reasons, too. This is why many of the world's great supercars are available with automatic transmissions, not only the NSX.

An automatic NSX is an NSX. Period. It is just as worthy an example of the breed as a manual NSX. It can be driven fast, and driven on the racetrack, with an automatic. Even though a manual transmission might be better for you or for me, not everyone has exactly the same needs or preferences. Which is what makes the world so much fun - Variety is the spice of life!

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 12 March 2002).]

Joe,
You really cannot be at 'one' with the car when a computer is doing the shifting and the fondling of the car. Do you really want to be blindfolded when meeting woman? Think of being partially handicapped when driving a car, such as the NSX, with an auto. TRUST ME ON THIS

what????????? This is bizzarre.

nsxtasy

Some folks drive their cars daily in cities with lots of traffic and hills. Some have medical conditions that make shifting difficult

I completely agree and understand the need to have a auto due to medical conditions. However, physical ability aside, if the road conditions and traffic are straining your enjoyment of the NSX which results in an auto, then it may be worthwhile to consider alternate transportation --bus, beater etc.-- to offset some of the frustrations with daily driving. My tolerance level of the general publics ability to operate a motor vehicle is very low as to where I never drive in rush hour or highly congested times. Look at the daily accident rate here in Seattle (or any other city/state for that matter) but this is another topic entirely.

And some folks must share their cars with family members who don't know how to drive stick.

Although a nice gesture, this is better to be avoided. Many things can go wrong that may tarnish the relationship with the family.

This is why many of the world's great supercars are available with automatic transmissions, not only the NSX.

Can you name ONE *supercar* that is available with a auto? Mclaren F1? Absolutely NOT. Jaguar XJ220? No way. The NSX is a exotic but not quite a supercar, yet. Furthermore, it is the best exotic out there...

Until recently, the sports car world (not talking about Mustangs or Camaros) has been dedicated to manuals since manufactures know this is what enthusiasts want to explore the vehicles potential and capability. Now with DSP, ESP being introduced, - and every other acronym know to man - cars are becoming less and less driver oriented, hence the more widely use of the auto and driver aids.

An automatic NSX is an NSX. Period. It is just as worthy an example of the breed as a manual NSX. It can be driven fast, and driven on the racetrack, with an automatic. Even though a manual transmission might be better for you or for me, not everyone has exactly the same needs or preferences. Which is what makes the world so much fun - Variety is the spice of life!

I see your point of view but the NSX demands to be driven aggressively for enthusiasts BY enthusiasts. Period.

Yes, indeed, variety spices things up a bit but give me TYPE-R variety instead of Type-Luxury variety any day.
smile.gif

Jag

... No need to justify your auto purchase. If your able, experience the bliss in a manual some day or ride in a owner who knows how to drive one very well.

Thanks,

-Nader

Joe,

Get your NSX auto!

Don't listen to the naysayers that try to position the auto NSX as something less than a NSX.

Like nsxtasy wrote, an auto NSX is still an NSX. For whatever reason you desire an automatic, go for it.

I've owned both an auto and a manual. While I personally enjoy the manual there was some nice features about the automatic too.

It was nice to be able to occasionally concentrate on the handling of the car and not have to worry about shifting. Of course, it's also much nicer in city and congested driving.

When I got my manual NSX I was expecting to feel a big performance difference in acceleration (i.e. more horsepower, torque). In actuality I was surprised how close the two cars were in acceleration.

Best of luck,
Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

Jag

... No need to justify your auto purchase. If your able, experience the bliss in a manual some day or ride in a owner who knows how to drive one very well.

No need to justify anything. I've owned both... A 95 brooklands green/tan stick and my current midnight pearl sportshift.

It's obvious who on this board has an objective perspective... let me clue you in... it's not you. Believe it or not, I used to be like you, I thought I new everything. You think you've got the world by the ass and that you're infallible... you will learn with time how little you really know. In the mean time, have fun playing with your "stick".

jag.

(btw, I still think your comment above is bizarre!)

[This message has been edited by jag (edited 17 March 2002).]

I see your point of view but the NSX demands to be driven aggressively for enthusiasts BY enthusiasts. Period.

I suppose your point of view is that the only true enthusiast is someone exactly like you, whose needs are exactly the same as yours.
rolleyes.gif

There are many different reasons that people own the NSX. Some drive it to and from work every day. Some drive it on the racetrack. Some admire it in the garage. And just as there are different reasons people own it, there are different ways that they use it. This is why different people have different needs. Some people need an automatic transmission. They can own an NSX - a true NSX - that meets this need.

Can you name ONE *supercar* that is available with a auto?

It's funny that you only mention cars that aren't available for sale in North America by their manufacturers. (You left out the Porsche 959!
smile.gif
) I can name a bunch of supercars that are available with automatics, in addition to the NSX. Look at the supercars - the production sports cars that sell for almost twice as much as the NSX (or more): the Porsche 911 Turbo, the Ferrari 360 Modena, the Ferrari 456M, and the Ferrari 575M. All are available with automatic transmissions (or, in the case of the 360, a clutchless F1-style manual). Throw in the new Maserati, which is in the same price range as the NSX; it, too, is available with an automatic.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 17 March 2002).]

My tolerance level of the general publics ability to operate a motor vehicle is very low as to where I never drive in rush hour or highly congested times. Look at the daily accident rate here in Seattle (or any other city/state for that matter) but this is another topic entirely.

This sounds a lot like what Ravetek would say. Are you sure you two are not the same person? I think so. If not, you two could be best buds.
eek.gif

I think a few of you missed the topic. I did not see a question of which is better an auto or manual. We have to realize that the needs of some are different than our own and respect their resaons even if they are not stated. If we all based our opinions on what the majority thought, we all would be driving an Accord.

IMHO we need to cut people some slack to have their own opinion and reasons, even if they don't make much sense to us. I think that most of you agree with this concept.

Good point above. The original question wasn't so much a question as a statement that Joe wants to buy a clean, auto, NSX for under $30k by the end of the month.

Some feel this is easy, others don't.

Either way, no one has posted that they have one for sale for him and I sure haven't found any after searching around a bit, so I guess when all is said and done, Joe isn't going to be getting his NSX by the end of the month.

Jag,
Believe it or not, I used to be like you, I thought I new everything. You think you've got the world by the ass and that you're infallible... you will learn with time how little you really know. In the mean time, have fun playing with your "stick".

GET OFF your superiority complex, sir. Your little pedestal is about to crumble. I never claimed to be superior to anything or anybody.

In the famous of words of Sir Albeit Einstein, "I know Iam intelligent because I know that I know NOTHING." Since you seem to be everything, maybe you can take over his work in physics?

nsxtasy,

Again, I see your points and my opinion may be limited, but this is a EXOTIC SPORTS car we are talking about here. Not your daily driver Caravan. NEEDS are for soccer moms like how many kids and gear can the fit in the back of a suburban. A sports car 'goal' in my opinion was best stated by Honda in the TIDH book as:

"The Honda spirit and mindset, while multifaceted, can be encapsulated as an intense emotional involvement with cars. As Honda sees it, driving isn't merely a method of achieving a destination. It should also be a recreational activity that frees the mind, excites the senses and provides a means of relaxation."

Anyway, this quote sums it up best so far. Iam sure you will agree with it.

Finally, all those cars you mentioned are NOT defined as SUPERCARS. Those are exotics and the supercars would be the McLaren and the XJ220, and F50, cars which are half a million and take month's to build less then ten. Cars that are made ENTIRELY of Carbon Fiber (don't know about the Jag, though) and have engines derived from F1, exceed 500hp etc. That is my definition.
smile.gif
Yours may be different, as well.
wink.gif

But exotics now are starting to become less and less driver oriented leaving bikes, the S2K, NSX, and supercars left to pure driver skill. Even the 360 Modena has traction control and a other driver assists.

Regards,

-Nader

this is a EXOTIC SPORTS car we are talking about here. Not your daily driver Caravan. NEEDS are for soccer moms like how many kids and gear can the fit in the back of a suburban.

And again, you are supporting my statement that you have a total inability to empathize or understand that someone else's needs may be different from yours. Obviously no one needs an exotic sports car to carry a lot of kids and gear. But some owners need an exotic sports car to accelerate and brake and handle well while equipped with an automatic transmission.

While I wouldn't choose the exact words that jag did to describe your narrow-minded view that "my way is the only way", I can understand how your attitude has elicited such a piqued reaction from him. There is so much to learn in life from others, and we learn the most from those that are different from ourselves, not from those that are most identical in their backgrounds and viewpoints. Perhaps one day you will understand this and see how much you are now missing by discounting those whose opinions differ from your own.

Incidentally, the comment about "supercars" is a red herring that is not germane to this topic. If you would like to discuss the definition of a "supercar", feel free to start a new topic in the off-topic forum. My point was, and is, that almost all of the other models that can legitimately claim to compete with the NSX also offer automatic or clutchless transmissions. And their manufacturers do it for the same reason that Honda, with "The Honda spirit and mindset", decided to offer one in the NSX - because some of their owners have a need for an automatic in their car. I think it's great that the manufacturers are meeting the needs of such owners, even though those needs don't happen to coincide with my own or yours.

juss to say homey, you need a manuel transmission. doonntt lissen to everyone ellsseee. you can get an auto transsmission, and ill make sure it works jussst fine. welll win a lot of raccess together, eehhh....

This may seem off topic but many people's opinions about automatic trans. seem unrealistic. The unrealistic people being completly against the NSX offering auto should also be against the NSX offering A/C electric adjustable seats power windows and othe luxurious standards. This is not a car built for all out racing only. Honda considered gas mileage comfort and things other than performace when designing this car. This is what makes the NSX so impressive to many people.

------------------
You can make a mean hand with out of what you've been delt!!

Back