• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

anyone use Bilstein HD shocks with stock springs?

I've ordered the hd Bilstein shocks for my '93 NSX. I'm not interested in going coilovers,few track meets and the RM sway bars tighten up enough.
Wanted to know if anyone has used Bilstein shocks only, HD I guess is only avail. Might drop a bit with a lower perch setting but really want to just improve a bit.
DennisD
'93 NSX 5-spd, comptech headers,cold air, strut bar,HKS exhaust,short gears,RM sway bar,AutoAuthority chip, speedline wheels.

check with Phil M at CGI Motorsports (cgimotorsports.com) for more info on this setup.

Its a reasonable-combo, particularly if your OE springs are still OK. Some amount of ride-height adjustability is allowed, with Phil's custom perches.

------------------
Manuel C
www.geocities.com/mcantoria/mc-toys.html

sig-front-top-100h.jpg
sig-left-front-100h.jpg
sig-rear-100h.jpg

Originally posted by nsx1164:
check with Phil M at CGI Motorsports (cgimotorsports.com) for more info on this setup.

Its a reasonable-combo, particularly if your OE springs are still OK. Some amount of ride-height adjustability is allowed, with Phil's custom perches.

Does Phil have different perches than the ones sold by DaliRacing? I was not aware of that ..... !

By the way, how does one assess if the oem springs are still ok or not?

This past fall I installed Bilstein shocks with OEM springs. I have a 1991, which had about 170 lb/in front springs and 220 lb/in rears. I was looking for slightly stiffer springs. I was looking at Dali Racing site, which shows the 97 NSX having 196 lb/in fronts and 224 lb/in rears. The front springs on the 97 are a bit stiffer than the 1991-95 and the rears are almost identical. I purchased a set of 97 front springs and installed with stock rears. I used the Bilstein shocks with the springs mounted on the lower spring perch. I have measured the car along the bottom of the trim panel (rocker panel) and the car is perfectly level. The 1997 spring appeared very slightly shorter than the 1991 springs, which makes sense due to the slightly higher spring rate.

Dali Street swaybars, Comptech SC, Comptech Headers, Comptech Exhaust, Stereo (Dali/Thunderworks), Short Gears, Work Wheels

Originally posted by Roy:
This past fall I installed Bilstein shocks with OEM springs. I have a 1991, which had about 170 lb/in front springs and 220 lb/in rears. I was looking for slightly stiffer springs. I was looking at Dali Racing site, which shows the 97 NSX having 196 lb/in fronts and 224 lb/in rears. The front springs on the 97 are a bit stiffer than the 1991-95 and the rears are almost identical. I purchased a set of 97 front springs and installed with stock rears. I used the Bilstein shocks with the springs mounted on the lower spring perch. I have measured the car along the bottom of the trim panel (rocker panel) and the car is perfectly level. The 1997 spring appeared very slightly shorter than the 1991 springs, which makes sense due to the slightly higher spring rate.

Dali Street swaybars, Comptech SC, Comptech Headers, Comptech Exhaust, Stereo (Dali/Thunderworks), Short Gears, Work Wheels

By any chance do you know if the bilstein shocks work with eibach springs? On their website it says aftermarket springs are not suitable for HD shocks but they only make HD shocks for nsx no? Also do all nsx bilstein shock have 2 perches? Or only CGI sells them like that?

By any chance do you know if the bilstein shocks work with eibach springs? On their website it says aftermarket springs are not suitable for HD shocks but they only make HD shocks for nsx no? Also do all nsx bilstein shock have 2 perches? Or only CGI sells them like that?
Bilstein/Eibach is a very common combination among NSX owners and by most accounts works well. The Eibach U.S. representative I spoke to recommended a good aftermarket damper like the Bilstein (no surprise of course).

The NSX Bilstein always comes with two grooves for the perch (stock ride height and 7/8" lower). I think that was originally CGI's design (1998), but was since incorporated into the product by the manufacturer.

I started with Eibachs and later added Bilsteins because I found the stock dampers inadequate. But if you don't mind potentially paying for installation and alignment twice, try the Bilsteins first on the lower perch setting with the stock springs. If you also have stiffer sway bars, this setup may be all you need.

Back