• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rear Toe Question??

After taking my baby to the alignment shop, I told the tech that I wanted the least agreesive setting for my rear tires. I was then told by the alignment guy that he would set the rear toe to "all positive". I'm currently getting about 5K miles on Toyos TS1's. Is this correct?

Poloman,

I am not sure what he means by "all positive". If this means toe-out, I do not agree, for the rear. You can go "0" toe in the rear, but going positive(toe out) could make the rear a little too loose and unpredictable.

If you start with "0" toe statically, when you accelerate, the rear wheels will squat and give you some toe-in as it is designed to do.

With that said, what is your setup? Wheels/tire size/shocks/springs? Are you lowered? Any reason, other then wear, that you would move from factory specs??

Most aftermarket tires do give longer life then 5K miles, ON THE STREET, but I have not had personal experience with the Toyo's. My friend Peter uses them and loves them, but I cannot compare the wear factor, since he does a ton of track days.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks for the feedback.

My current setup is 215X40X17 (Fronts) & 265X35X18 (Rears) with Eibach Pro Kit springs.

I had the alignment shop do the alignment by sight and not a machine. Using a steel rod, they placed it on the side of my rim and then as they moved the toe, the rod moved closer to the body of the car. The first thing I noticed, when looking at my vehicle from the rear, was that the tires use to "slant out", now they look like they're parallel with the car. He told me "your rear alignment was set all the way negative, I set it all the way positive now"

Let me know if this guy knew what he was talking about.

Originally posted by Poloman:
The first thing I noticed, when looking at my vehicle from the rear, was that the tires use to "slant out", now they look like they're parallel with the car.

Do you mean that they used to "slant out" from front to back (which is called toe), or "slant out" from top to bottom (which is called camber)?

Poloman,

I really need to make sure we understand our "terms". All the way positive will make the rear of the tires stick further out then the front, so if you look at both tires together they are pigeon toed? / \

If we are all the way negative them both of them look like a duck walking?? \ /

So positive = Toe IN?
Negative = Toe OUT?

Do I understand you correctly? It sounds like he set them as far Toe IN as possible.

Anyway, I have to say, doing this with the body as a reference IMO is a very bad idea. The only reference I would count on is the suspension mounting points(that can get complicated on a closed body car) OR the alignment rack system.

I just think assuming the body is aligned is incorrect. JMHO.

HTH,
LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 09 July 2002).]

Larry,

It is set all the way toe in or in our "terms" pigeon toed? / \.

Should I get the care re-aligned to correct this? Could this be the reason I'm now getting 5K miles out of my toyos and not 10K like before the alignment?

Back