• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What should oil pressure run?

I'm just curious as to what is considered normal oil pressure in a NSX. My car runs about 4 kg/cm2 at speed after warm-up, 1.5-2 kg/cm2 at idle. After a long run yesterday, (150 miles), I noticed the pressure had dropped to about 1 kg/cm2 at idle, about 3 kg/cm2 at speed. I know the pressure will vary with engine speed and temperature, but how much?

BTW, does anyone know the conversion from kg/cm2 to psi?

Originally posted by redfisher:
I'm just curious as to what is considered normal oil pressure in a NSX.

Look in the NSX FAQ (answers to Frequently Asked Questions), in the section called "Oil Pressure" under the "Troubleshooting" heading.

The gauge reads in kg/cm2 on all NSX.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 22 July 2002).]

Thanks for the reply nsxtasy. Didn't know there was so much information available in FAQ. I'll check there in the future before posting questions.

Based on what I read, my oil pressure seems normal. I think I might go ahead and replace the oil pressure sending unit anyway. The car is 10 years old now with 44k miles.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by redfisher:
Based on what I read, my oil pressure seems normal. I think I might go ahead and replace the oil pressure sending unit anyway.

I wouldn't. It sounds like it's working fine.

I guess you're probably right. I'm used to replacing stuff on my muscle cars if I have any suspicion of a problem. Parts are a lot cheaper and more readily available for thoses engines I assume.

If there were a problem with the oil pressure on the NSX the oil light would come on anyway. And it sounds like the gauge is reading within spec.

Slingshot, I noticed you're from Cape Canaveral. We ought to hookup some time over there. My wife and I like to hit a lot of those spots on the coast; Coconuts, the Port. The only thing I worry about when driving one of my nice cars is parking. I like to be able to see the car from where I'm sitting and that limits your options.

Anyway, thanks for the advise.

Back