• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SOS HID install question (Battery)

Hi,
I'm trying right now to install the SOS HID kit, and I've got a problem.
The red terminal on the battery is impossible to get to, and the instructions say to disconnect the black (Neg), then disconeect the red (Pos) before proceeding. I can't get past this step! Can I just continue on without disconnecting the battery? If not, how do I disconnect it? It's hard to get to, and it's really slippery!
As you can probably tell, I have NO mechanical skills whatsoever! Thanks in advance! -Thomas

------------------
'94 Brooklands Green Pearl/Black NSX
5-Speed

Originally posted by whs520:
Hi,
I'm trying right now to install the SOS HID kit, and I've got a problem.
The red terminal on the battery is impossible to get to, and the instructions say to disconnect the black (Neg), then disconeect the red (Pos) before proceeding. I can't get past this step! Can I just continue on without disconnecting the battery? If not, how do I disconnect it? It's hard to get to, and it's really slippery!
As you can probably tell, I have NO mechanical skills whatsoever! Thanks in advance! -Thomas

can you describe what exactly is the problem, the terminals arnt that hard to get to after removing the spare....

Originally posted by KODIAC:
can you describe what exactly is the problem, the terminals arnt that hard to get to after removing the spare....

Hi,
Well, it seems that it is very difficult to disconnect the red terminal, the space is so cramped, it's hard to get the tools in there to remove it. The terminal also has a bunch of lube (anti-corrosive material?), so it's really difficult to disconnect the right terminal.
Sorry if I'm not making sense.
Oh, by the way, I looked in the NSX DIY FAQ regarding the AutoLamps HID install, and it never mentioned disconnecting the battery. I'm wondering, is it necessary to disconnect it, or can I just continue with the install?
Thanks again. -Thomas

------------------
5-Speed

As the fellow above says, remove the spare tire and you should be able to access he positive terminal easily.
Now , I'm not trying to be smart, but if you have cusory mechanical skills I think it prudent to pay a professional and not make a expensive mistake.

Although it is probably safer to disconnect the battery, and the instructions indicate that you should do so, I did the install without disconnecting the battery. The way the kit is designed, there are really no exposed wires anyways. I also found that placing the ballast and wires was easier because I could flip the headlights up and down to check for positioning.

Of course, I would not recommend doing it without connecting the battery, and I am sure Chris would not want you to do it that way either, just in case any harm should come your way and some scum-bag lawyer is looking for someone to blame.

Regards,
Rick

I too left the battery connected - not that I am recommending this just that if you are VERY carefull it can be done.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

While the electrical connections that are exposed during install should not have current, we recommend disconnecting both terminals for double precaution. Removing the ground polarity will be sufficient.

BTW, the kit will be installed on a customer's car tomorrow at NSXPO. Anyone reading this at NSXPO is welcome to stop by the trailer around 10ish.

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

I was just about to say Cris from SOS should know...
smile.gif
www.mynsx.com

funny that you mention this cuz I just installed my 6k Hanabi HID into my nsx without disconnecting any terminal...the HIDs look great!

Hi,
Thanks to everyone for replying! I finally got the install complete, without disconnecting the battery!
The HID is very nice and well worth the money!
Thanks again. -Thomas

------------------
5-Speed

Disconnecting the battery is not just for shock protection. It also insures that the headlight retractors will not activate while you are installing the kit. Disconnecting at least one terminal is important.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
Disconnecting the battery is not just for shock protection. It also insures that the headlight retractors will not activate while you are installing the kit. Disconnecting at least one terminal is important.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Oh, by the way, Chris,
After driving with the SOS HID's for the last couple of days, I've noticed that it does not illuminate the road as well as, say, the S2000's HID's. Is it just my imagination?
I especially notice this peripherally. In fact, I seem to think that my OEM headlights lit up the road, overall, better than these.
Again, am I just imagining things? Does anyone else share the same opinion?

One more thing, Chris: approximately how many miles is the "break-in" period for the Taitec GT Lightweight Exhaust? So far, I've put ~500 miles on it, and I like it, but I really miss the "purr" of the NSX engine when I had the OEM exhaust. I don't think I can hear it anymore with this new exhaust. This Taitec is dramatically louder- especially at 2000 rpms. I'm hoping that the Taitec's sound will improve with mileage.
Anyways, thanks. -Thomas

------------------
5-Speed

Oh, by the way, Chris,
After driving with the SOS HID's for the last couple of days, I've noticed that it does not illuminate the road as well as, say, the S2000's HID's. Is it just my imagination?
I especially notice this peripherally. In fact, I seem to think that my OEM headlights lit up the road, overall, better than these.

One more thing, Chris: approximately how many miles is the "break-in" period for the Taitec GT Lightweight Exhaust? So far, I've put ~500 miles on it, and I like it, but I really miss the "purr" of the NSX engine when I had the OEM exhaust. I don't think I can hear it anymore with this new exhaust. This Taitec is dramatically louder- especially at 2000 rpms. I'm hoping that the Taitec's sound will improve with mileage.
Anyways, thanks. -Thomas

After I first did the install, I was surprised at how much brighter the beam looked when shining at the garage wall, but was also wondering why the road did not light up like it did with my Audi TT HID.

I then realized that my headlights were aimed too low (even though my NSX is a 2001 and should have had factory specs.)

After adjusting the headlights, these lighting is excellent. When I am side by side with Mercedes-Benz and BMW vehicles with HID, the beam from the Mccullough kit is brighter, more even, and whiter.

Try adjusting the headlights a bit to see what happens. (By the way, do not try to align them so the beams are in perfect vertical alignment. I have not found a way to do this, and I think it is by design due to an internal baffle on the driver side that blocks off part of the light)

Rick

The light distribution should be exactly the same as the HID bulb is the same length as the stock bulb, which will retain the focal pattern of the stock lights. However, every customer I've talked to about the kit feels the light output and usable color makes a dramatic improvement at night. This was especially evident at NSXPO where we had SoS HID equiped cars and stock side by side. The two were dramatic.

With any louder aftermarket exhaust, you will hear more exhaust note than engine note. Perhaps a quieter exhaust would be more ideal for you.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Oh, by the way, Chris,

Anyways, thanks. -Thomas

------------------

you'll get a slightly quieter and much less 'whine/buzz' high pitch noise with the tubi.

i opted out of the others because i thought they were too highpitched and drowned out the engines note. the tubi, imo, is exactly what i was looking for.

Hello all,
I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice given to me regarding the HID's.
I adjusted the headlights (which raised the projecting light beam), and the lighting is much improved. I have to drive around and test it out, because I may have to adjust it a little more.
Take care. -Thomas

------------------
5-Speed

Back