• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ignoramuses/idiots

They come in all shapes and sizes. Tonight I heard someone yell out "rice burner" as I pulled into the Pavilions. At the local gathering near my house, I saw a fiero with the words "imports are like tampons, every pussy has one" on its rear window. On the way home, a camaro and a firebird tried to race me at different times. The camaro rolled up next to me at a stoplight. When the light turned green, I sped up to the speed limit in normal fashion, then watched as it zoomed past me accelerating to ~70mph. It eventually backed down and tried to egg me on, so I made a turn and took an alternate route home. The firebird was following me as I entered a freeway ramp, but then floored his engine to whip around me and onto the freeway (I purposely backed off as he revved up his engine for the passing maneuver). What are these idiots trying to prove? I'm sure they're happily bragging to their friends about how they "spanked" an NSX.
mad.gif

On the bright side, there were lots of gawkers at our NSXs tonight (although one of them asked AznSXgirl "is that your Nissan?"
rolleyes.gif
) One guy tried to ask AznSXgirl what her time at FIR was Thursday (her window was rolled up so she didn't hear, but I told him she ran a 14). He was like, "cool!"
smile.gif
And when I exited the freeway ramp heading home, a couple of teenagers in a Del Sol on the other side of the median pointed at my car, then rolled down their windows and stuck out their heads to gawk.
icon14.gif

Finally, I'm not sure exactly how to take this, but as we (AznSXgirl, her bf, and me) caravaned out of the Pavilions, I heard several comments such as "they're brothers", "here comes the brother now." I guess I should be flattered (
wink.gif
) but JEEZ, are there so few asians in AZ that we all look alike???
confused.gif

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 26 January 2003).]

Yeah, I can totally relate.

Tonight, after dinner, I began scraping the ice off my Accord's windshield at a brisk pace. Shortly thereafter, I noticed a punk reach for his ice scraper in the trunk of his Lumina. The dude started scraping in a fervent fashion with the intent to incite my import and me. Sure, he finished first, but I didn't succumb to such pubescent behavior.

...and people say winter is uneventful up here.

Challenges happen to all performance cars.
I believe it happens more often to a NSX because they are rare & unusual and the person wants to see it perform.
The guy yelling "rice burner" while running a "potato pot" just is too dumb to be silent.

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 26 January 2003).]

first thing Phoe<FONT COLOR=red>N$X</FONT>, u get the Neo "thumbs-up"
icon14.gif
for acting like a mature adult and not racing.

Second, if you'd told the camaro L053rZ who you really are (The L337 Phoe<FONT COLOR=red>N$X</FONT> with a personalized colored name on NSXprime!), he would backed off instantly... but i know u are a modest guy, and didn't want to "shine it on".
smile.gif

I'm sure they're happily bragging to their friends about how they "spanked" an NSX.

*LOL* ... that's really funny...

Finally, I'm not sure exactly how to take this, but as we (AznSXgirl, her bf, and me) caravaned out of the Pavilions, I heard several comments such as "they're brothers", "here comes the brother now." I guess I should be flattered but JEEZ, are there so few asians in AZ that we all look alike???
confused.gif

That's BS -- no way do Asians look alike. They need to make some Asian friends or rent more HK flicks.
biggrin.gif

As for how u should take that comment... any association to AznSXgirl & her man can only be taken ONE WAY... GOOD. AznSXgirl is way cool (esp. when her time at FIR was 14
wink.gif
). So now you're not only L337, but cool like AznSXgirl as well! It just never ends!
biggrin.gif

Lastly... it's beautiful to hear the NSX still has what it takes to make teenagers gawk and hecklers take notice.
wink.gif

Re
tongue.gif
bassjo's
The guy yelling "rice burner" while running a "potato pot" just is too dumb to be silent

LOL
Maybe Fiero and Camaro guys all had bad days working at the local Burger King. That tampon rice sign in the back window is too much. Was there a confederate flag/"redneck" sticker on there too.

Last year I saw a Trans-Am, upon the windshield read: WHITE TRASH. Maybe a distant relative of the guys you ran into...hehe

Oh yeah, I'm a white boy that doesn't think asians all look alike.

Similar things have happened to me as well (not the Asian thing). Most recently by a guy with his girlfriend in a Supra. He pulled up next to me as we were driving and began to rev his engine. When we got to the next light and stopped, I rolled down my passenger side window and said to him as he continued to rev his engine, "no matter what you do to it, it's still just a supra." The light turned green and I drove away. He was so angry and busy yelling at me that he didn't see the light turn and I was a car length ahead before he got going. No, I didn't race, I just accelerated as I normally would have.

Seems funny how some people feel they have to justify themselves in order to feel better about themself or for their cars.
biggrin.gif

milz50: That's actually kinda funny (and *far* less dangerous than street racing!).

pbassjo: I'm sure you're right about the challenges, but I get mad when people do it on public roads. Take it to the track, "cause homey ain't playin'".

<font color=red>Neo</font>NSX: Thanks for your comments. I feel much better after some much needed sleep.
smile.gif

john576: I'm a fan of fieros/camaros/firebirds/mustangs (& most sports cars). I would never diss another sports car or its owner (just their actions). The fiero was in extremely beat up condition, and I could have easily made plenty of nasty comments in retaliation, but I held my tongue. And
icon14.gif
to you for being open minded about people of different races.

SCS2k: I try to refrain from making comments like that (although I certainly understand the urge to do so). It serves nothing but to make the other party madder.

Dan H: Agreed. That's why I won't participate in any forum that has a "kill" section.

I find this the funniest thing about owning an NSX. I haven't even had the darned thing a month yet, and already I've had three people try to race me on the freeway. Forget it, not gonna happen.

In regular traffic, I routinely see people jockey for position to get in front of me, and then it's like they stop and just stay there, happy they passed an NSX. Whatever, guy, you could do that in a Geo Metro, because I'm not speeding.
biggrin.gif

Oh, and people close up holes in traffic if I put my blinker on to change lanes. I know this happened sometimes anyway even in my old unassuming beige sedan, but not every single time! I guess they assume I'm a rich jerk and no damned rich jerk is getting in front of them. What's funny is that now I have to be a jerk if I want to change lanes, not signaling until I'm already doing it.
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Aiken Drum (edited 26 January 2003).]

I had the weirdest thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. I had to run over to Goodson Acura during my lunch break so Susan could look at my front tires (they wore out on the insides in less than 3K miles). Anyway, I was at a stop light and took off when the light turned green. In my normal driving habits I moved up to the front of the pack. I get to the next stop light and I am sitting there enjoying my music (nice and loud). In the background I hear a horn blowing. I first think it is part of the song (techno). I then slowly turn my head to the right and see some guy two lanes over giving me the finger and cursing me out at the top of his lungs. He was cursing so loud that spit was coming from his mouth. I'm thinking, what the heck did I do? I didn't cut any off or drive reckless. I shrugged my shoulders and drove off. Anyone else experience something like this? It gave me a really freaked out feeling that this guy was so angry at me and I had no clue what I did. My guess is that he didn't like the fact that I accelerated to the front of the pack in my NSX.

addison--

Oh, I had that happen in my '78 Chevy Monza. No envy element there. Guy in a jeep was screaming obscenities at me, claimed I'd cut him off three times when I hadn't changed lanes or made a turn since I left home.

Clearly, some people are just plain insane.
smile.gif

I think the only downside from me when I own an NSX is leaving it parked out in public too long. I hate vandals.
frown.gif

In the old days I had a Countach. All this and worse has happened. While living in LA not too many episodes. There was one carjacking attempt. The usual panhandler singling me out while at a stop light, or (and I really was upset by this) the occasional homeless family or person waiting at my car in a parking lot. Then moved to Phoenix, I was routinely followed, flipped off, you name it.

Being a constant target for traffic cops has always kept me from doing stupid things on the city streets.

In Brooklyn, most people assume (and usually rightly so) that they will die a quick death if they mess with the Ferraris and Lambos since most are mob owned, so ironically, in Brooklyn, cruising in a Lambo or Ferrari is pretty stress free
biggrin.gif
. Unfortunately, though, I've only been able to experience it from the passenger seat since that's well beyond my means
wink.gif

In the NSX, I've only had one weird incident of some lunatic screaming at me for no reason. I really don't even know what he was saying and just ignored him. I was stopped at a light at the time and he entered the flow of traffic from a driveway, so we had had no road contact - that was very odd.

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 26 January 2003).]

nsxtasy: I think it's spelled Phoenix... (or, in his case, PHOEN$X)...

It's actually "Phoe<FONT COLOR=red>N$X</FONT>" ... coz he owns a red/black NSX.
tongue.gif

Aiken Drum: In regular traffic, I routinely see people jockey for position to get in front of me, and then it's like they stop and just stay there, happy they passed an NSX.

*LOL* ... or like a majority of people, they think they've just past a Ferrari.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by NeoNSX (edited 26 January 2003).]

Today we had an NSX gathering in the SF area, on our way back a Camaro SS tried to "make his presence known", he kinda backed off after hearing my "JGTC"
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by spartan2-3 (edited 26 January 2003).]

People don't flip me off usually, I'm just a good driver, I always signal. Actaully I have never been flipped off.

Also, nobody but other import guys try to race me. Muscle guys just don't bother I suppose.
rolleyes.gif

Have had similar experiences here in Scandinavia. If passing one of those "expensive" German cars (Audis, BMWs & Mercedes), 8 out of 10 goes bananas and seems to be willing to take any possible risks just to overtake me. I have noticed that those without letters and numbers on their trunk-lid (i.e. no model identification)are the most aggressive.
I have also experienced to be followed for a longer periode of time when street-cruisin in my home town. I do not mind people looking and also asking about the NSX, but I feel uncomfortable when I have the same vehicle in my rear mirror for 10-15 min or more.

[This message has been edited by midNight Sun Xpress (edited 27 January 2003).]

Back