• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Two overheating problems- one answer?

Hello- Had a small overheating issue today at the local Auto-X....first of all the car got to about 2 bars above half...attempted to turn the heater on and it blew cold air, just not hot at all. (I noticed this the other day too).

I Opened the hood and felt around, the upper rad. hose was cool, I could touch it and leave my hand on it, the bottom was normal, where it was pretty hot.

I asked my normal mechanice, he said it had to be the thermostat because no hot air was blowing, ( on the way home it blew hot air)..any suggestions?? thanks.

thermo thermo thermo

a new thermo is only 22 bucks, and you can do it yourself in like 10 to 15 min, then just bleed colant system afterwards. about a month ago had a 91 that had a partialy sticking thermo, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt.... and then it would open, and would see a big sweep in temp gauge.

thermo isnt part of the PM (preventative maintainence) but its worth changing every few years or so for the protection. you dont wanna pegg the gauge in an NSX, not like domestics, where ya might get away with one peg, NSX there isnt really a free peg on the gauge...

but for 22 bucks, id change it about as often as oil, or at least once a year.... 22 bucks for a thermo vs 4K to redo head gaskets.... seems worth it to me...

Id change the thermo, and see if it happens again, but I think that will fix it.

HTH, JMO

Mike

Originally posted by 5inchfatlip:
Thanks Kodiac for the assurance....I'm defintely up for a thermo and doing it soon as I can...the car ran fine over 100 mile trip home too but mostly highway.

anything for NSX community
wink.gif

Kodiac,
Do you have an updated email address I tried to send you an email but it came back.

Thanks Brian Atlanta, Ga
[email protected]
Originally posted by KODIAC:
anything for NSX community
wink.gif

Originally posted by bangbang001:
Kodiac,
Do you have an updated email address I tried to send you an email but it came back.

Thanks Brian Atlanta, Ga
[email protected]

yea i do, currently for some f*cked up reason my pop acct that all NSX related sh*t points to is being a b*tch..... have yet to get it working right, for now i am telling everyone to email me at [email protected]

HTH, i am going to send you an email also, in case you miss this

Just talked to a local tech at the dealer, and he told me all my problem could be is just an air bubble or pocket in the system....and a good quality bleed could take two hours...? I know a good bleed is essential but I don't think it could cause my symptoms..?

Originally posted by 5inchfatlip:
Just talked to a local tech at the dealer, and he told me all my problem could be is just an air bubble or pocket in the system....and a good quality bleed could take two hours...? I know a good bleed is essential but I don't think it could cause my symptoms..?

Don't be too sure - your tech may be right! I have heard this is true on the NSX and have seen a similar problem on my old BMW.

I just hope by bleed he means flush. You can flush and bleed the bubbles out yourself but it might be worth the 2 hours if you are not so inclined. Plus flushing the system requires a good incline/ramp and it makes a huge mess in your street. Just follow the shop manual exactly or you will be chasing your tail. Good luck.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Because of the NSX’s mid-engine design, air in the lines is a common cause of overheating. Look at Service Manual pg. 10-7 step 10 for bleeding instructions. I will list my own bleeding instructions below:

Start with cold car
Keep bleed plugs open until steady stream of coolant comes out, then close
Have a spray bottle of water and plenty of shop towels around for cleanup. Protect battery from heater pipe bleed plug with lots of rags. Spray off coolant with generous amounts of water.
Torque values for bleed bolts are 9 lb-ft (that’s a little more than hand tight but not much)

DanO’s order:
1 Fill expansion tank to max
2 radiator bleed plug (hand tighten ma require pliers and rag to loosen)
3 heater pipe (spring/rubber stopper for early cars, 12mm socket for newer cars)
4 thermo cover bleed bolt (12mm socket)
5 water pipe bleed bolt (12mm socket)
6 start car and let run for 1 minute
repeat procedure 3 to 7 times

I’ve helped fix more than a few NSX overheating problems at the track with the is procedure.

Good luck,

DanO

[This message has been edited by DanO (edited 24 February 2003).]

Back