• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Final Fantasy

I thought I'd throw a quickie review on here, as several of our left coast members are in the gaming community.

First, the movie is deeply flawed in several ways. The script gets bogged down in mystical hooey a bit too often. And, the bad guy is so relentlessly against the good guys' plan that it goes well beyond the relm of common sense. After a while, he is just doing stuff to make the story move ahead, with no regard for how silly it is.

Second, none of the above matters. The movie is visually amazing. While the level of the CG isn't a threat to the Screen Actors Guild, it is clearly the beginning of a new era of movie making. I think people will someday look back on the movie the way they now look at 'Star Wars' as a landmark for special effects. While there have been a couple of really good CG animated movies, until now the genre has always sort of hidden its short commings behind cartoony or silly characters. These guys are the first to have the balls to step up and animate human characters.

The 'aliens' in the movie are beautiful and really creepy at the same time and could not have been produced by any other technique. They will give kids nightmares. There are always things that give away the CG (hair, liquids), but there are also scenes where, just for a second or two, you forget it is not real. The level of detail is astonishing, especially in the more complex settings. Animation has come a hell of a long way since Bugs Bunny wore a dress and acted like a Southern belle.

If you are into CG at all, or just like sci fi, this is a must see. If you have any doubts, see it as a matinee and save a couple of bucks.

As a FF fan, I thought it was worth seeing. I agree with David that the movie was just average and I was hoping for better. However, it was worth seeing for the CG alone. In fact, I'm going to see it again just for that. Strangely, a lot of the action felt a bit sterile which surprised me. I found that the CG in the last few games was more exciting at times than the film (although it doesn't look as good).

If this topic is still around, I can post some impression of FFX after it's release next week for the PS2.

The movie's official website is here.

They've even got it designed so that (at least in my case) it automatically opens another browser window with showtimes at my local theaters and ticket ordering instructions.

You know, There were 3 things missing in the movie aside from storyline.
#1 THE Final Fantasy music, you know the crystal song that plays at the intro of EVERY FF game.
#2 Biggs and Wedge. Every Final Fantasy has 2 generic warriors named Biggs and Wedge. Oddly enough, Luke Skywalkers 2 childhood buddies are named Biggs and Wedge.
#3 I was hoping *just for an instant* that when faced with a combat situation they would change the scene, and everyone would all line up on one side, and the enemies would line up on the other.

Ok bad joke. Sorry.
I have faaar too much time on my hands, in any case, aside from the CGI's the movie wasn't all that great. I was quite disappointed.

Shrek was the exception. That was a fantastic flick that I've seen twice. Haven't met anyone who didn't like it yet.
Then again, there's alwasy a soft spot in my heart for "mouse bashing."

While in the appropriate demographics for Final Fantasy video games, I have never played one. That did not stop me from seeing the movie; don't let it stop you. No previous knowledge of Final Fantasy is needed. The movie does suffer from the same flaws that 99% of Hollywood action movies do. That said, I highly recommend this movie to anyone interested in cinema as art, not just mindless entertainment. The animation is utterly fantastic. Once I saw it, I understood why the Wall Street Journal's movie critic found it troubling to hear Donald Sutherland's voice coming from someone else's body. That is how real the characters look - it causes a dis-connect.

Give it a try. I can't wait to buy it on DVD.

LOL Edo. I was waiting for the same too.
At least they had Cid.

Maomao, I hated 8 too... I played it for about 30 minutes and then never again... The last serious FF I played was VI. I played the first disc of IX, but I ran out of time. I think I'm getting too old for FF games.

[This message has been edited by kenjiMR (edited 18 July 2001).]

Eight started out slow, but actually became pretty good further into it. The ending was awesome, worth the time playing.
However, I defnitely enjoyed nine more.

I already have the game in my grubby little hands and will be playing it tonight for about three hours (until the GF gets home, otherwise all night
smile.gif
).

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 19 July 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 19 July 2001).]

Back