• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ticket Advice

I'm going to court tomorrow to fight a traffic ticket and I'm looking for some advice.

I was written up for 88 in a 65. Since it was more than 20 over, I believe the penalties are worse. (is this correct?) At the arraignment hearing the judge said if I pled guilty, i would lose my license for 30 days, which seemed really extreme, so pled not-guilty.

The officer said I was going over 90 and wrote me up for 88. I had looked at my speedo several times and I'm certain I wasn't going much over 80. 82 at the most. Which is only 15mph over, not 20. The officer never told me how he determined my speed. My V1 never went off, so I don't think it was a radar ticket. When I first saw the officer, he was about 1/4 mile behind and I immediately slowed down, so he must have been pretty far away, so I don't see how he could have accurately determined my speed. Of course, using this as a defence admits that I was over 65 (though I was nowhere near 88.)

Would it be wrong to admit that I was going 80, but no faster? Or does that just make me guilty and I get the full sentence? I'm willing to get a normal speeding ticket fine, but I don't want to get shafted with 20mph over penalties, such as extra points or losing my license.

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for posting at the last minute. I'm used to "studying" the night before my exams.

------------------
Tim Meekins
1997 Yellow NSX-T
http://tmeekins.com

Tim, Your taking one heck of a chance going in their w/o a lawyer, come on, these judges are the ones that take the Pledge out of schools. If your close to losing your Lic. you had best get this taken care of. Lawyers call this defective equip. In short, you pay them and you don't have to go court. No points or anything, granted your looking @ $200-300 in Missouri for a fee w/o speeding fine. Only you can answer how much not driving for 30 days is ?

30 days liscense loss for going over 20mph? that seems kinda of strange, do you have a lot of points on your record? i was caught back in 1996 and got written up with a excessive speed at over 100mph+ ticket. went to court and paid a $1600 fine and never lost my liscense.

Tim, how many ticket has you gotten the past year, past 2 years, past 3 years?

I gotten a ticket in OTC weekend going to Thunderhill early in the morning doing 97 on 70mph limit in a rental car. got $307 ticket and option to take traffic school. It's been more than 3 years ago since I got my last ticket.

For anyone that want to preach, yes, I know it is fast and dangerous, but the neon rental car is pretty darn hard to go over 100mph
smile.gif

In all seriousness, we were late (me and Telly), trying to make the first session for OTC at thill.

Just got back from court...

Those before me going 90+ lost their license for 30 days, those going under 90 (including me) got a 30 day restricted license (meaning I can only drive to and from work.) This ticket is also ineligible for traffic school.

It was interesting watching the other cases. It was different than what everyone says, or at least this just wasn't as nice
smile.gif
The judge wouldn't give out traffic school to anyone unless they had a squeaky clean record. 6 officers didn't show up and all those cases were thrown out (lucky bastards!) And of course, "my" officer appeared to be the most experienced and prepared. I still disagree with his story and I think he was lieing about part of it. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to find a witness or evidence, so it's just my word against his. I realized this, so I just told my story with its differences and admitted to speeding, just not 20 over, hoping I could get a lighter sentence.

Btw, I was going to the autozotica rally tomorrow, but looks like i can't now. I've already paid and reserved a spot. If someone wanted to go and can't because it was full, you can take my spot.

------------------
Tim Meekins
1997 Yellow NSX-T

Oh, I've only had 1 other ticket in the last 2 years. 50 in a 40 zone. Went to traffic school for it. I now realize I probably should have gone to court on that one since it was Basic Speed law violation on a big wide 4 lane road with NO traffic and lots of visibility. Oh well.

------------------
Tim Meekins
1997 Yellow NSX-T

Back