• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Datsun 1600 Roadsters

Hello guys,

this is completely not related to NSXs in anyway, but I was thinking about picking up one of these. Wondered if anyone had one or if anyone knows anything about these cars? I know its an old car produced in 64-70, but wanted to know if they are half decent reliable.

Just looking for a nice cheap convertible that isn't cute like a miata or problematic like a fiat.

Thanks,
Khue

I used to own a 69 Datsun 2000(which was the 2.0 litre version) and although it was a great looking car, don't count on it being without problems. I imagine if you were to restore it fully(and that includes the engine), you could get some decent use out of it, but I wouldn't buy it to drive around on a regular basis.

Originally posted by Rococo:
I used to own a 69 Datsun 2000(which was the 2.0 litre version) and although it was a great looking car, don't count on it being without problems. I imagine if you were to restore it fully(and that includes the engine), you could get some decent use out of it, but I wouldn't buy it to drive around on a regular basis.

Ive read that the 1600 has a more reliable engine? But i am looking to get one that has been fully restored for about $4000. 105K miles and new clutch. havent driven it yet, so dont even know how they are like to drive. just wondering if this would be a good deal??

Not a good deal for a 1600 with such high mileage. These are neat little cars but fairly difficult to keep running and get parts for. At least in comparison to most British sports cars. Look in Hemmings.com.
Good luck.

I used to have a 2000. Reliability is slightly above that of the British cars of the day, but not by much. Parts are available, but you have to search around for them. They look funny with the top up. I think that a magazine called them giraffe carriers. Handling is decent, but not up to the standard of the day, which was set by Porsche and Lotus. If you really plan to drive it, an MG (pre-rubber bumpers) would be the better choice. The 124 Fiat is not that unreliable or quirky, BTW. The steel in the body is crap, but it has decent mechanicals. Keep in mind that this is all coming from an old Lotus Europa (still have it) owner.
Paul

------------------
Happy Motoring At all Costs!

Back