• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery -- Sears Die Hard Platinum vs Optima Red Top?

I'm not sure if I agree with everyone here. I currently have a yellow top Optima battery...

I think the Optima yellow top suffers fewer problems than the red top. The yellow top are deep cylce batteries and are made differently than the red tops which are simply starting batteries (so, in essence, the red top is not much different from your regular Costco, Sears, etc battery - well, almost - it costs much more).

When I was getting a battery for the Supra, I heard bad things about Optima so I got a custom bracket and a lightweight battery. After a year, no problems so far.

DSC00003-3.jpg

DSC00004-1.jpg

DSC00007-1.jpg

Last edited:
yet another person who had a bad experience with optima.

they are trash, and you are way better off with the die hard, among others.

My 2nd Optima PC1200 has gone bad.... grrr........... I'm done with the Odyssey series and not wanting to try any other 'aftermarket' cra... batteries. Yes, it is on a trickle charger in the winter, most of the time..
I can get an OEM for $109 or Sears for $250 ....?

Folks that have been using the Sears, thoughts? Is it really worth it? I'm moving from Seattle to Texas.. so it's going to be warmer and I expect to drive the car a lot more. This makes me lean towards the OEM... I do also have HIDS, big stereo, LEDs etc. though......

Last edited:
Procar has NSX-R battery that saves your 20lbs over stock.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36427&page=17

Agree: I also replaced my Delco 35-6YR (36.2lbs) when it went bad with a OEM NSX-R battery (Honda 3500-SR1-100M(26.9lb)), $95.00. After 2 1/2 years in the Vegas heat and sitting covered in the garage for weeks at a time and so far no issues. Dont' even put it on a trickle charger. Plus its nice to be 100% Honda throughout.

I put an OEM Acura battery in last year and have had no issues, even starting in 20F or lower temps in the dead of winter. Can't go wrong with Mother Honda.

I've been through 4 Optimas red tops in 3 different cars.

none of them lasted. They just are so overrated after they are made in Mexico.

Now I just roll with the Costco stuff.

Make sure u get the largest one that fits. The cold cranking amps are at 850 instead of the 550.

Is the NSX-R battery availible in the states...or do you ahve to order outside the country. My battery is on its last leg and want to be prepared. this sounds like a good alternative to the stock one.

Agree: I also replaced my Delco 35-6YR (36.2lbs) when it went bad with a OEM NSX-R battery (Honda 3500-SR1-100M(26.9lb)), $95.00. After 2 1/2 years in the Vegas heat and sitting covered in the garage for weeks at a time and so far no issues. Dont' even put it on a trickle charger. Plus its nice to be 100% Honda throughout.

The Zanardi battery I just ordered is 13 lbs and comes with a 100 month warranty from the dealer. Only $65 with discount.

13lbs is the weight listed in the Acura computer so that's who I quoted. I asked to pick it up in my hands and it seemed reasonably accurate. He says they have 10 on stock usually- it's the integra and rsx battery! I also ordered the parts specific to the Zanardi like the brackets, they were all on back order... When it all comes in I will replace mine and let you know exactly how much it weighs vs the big battery I have now. With such a low cost and long warranty I will just buy this at the dealer from now on. Cheaper and better than using these Race batteries and making custom billet mounts, etc.-- I hope. Plus it will look stock.

How much the all the brackets and stuff cost? I'm certain 13 is an incorrect figure. I'd be absolutely shocked if that was accurate. But I guess we will see. Please post progress on this. I need to replace mine. BTW you'll have the speakers Tuesday or Wednesday please keep an eye out.

13lbs is the weight listed in the Acura computer so that's who I quoted. I asked to pick it up in my hands and it seemed reasonably accurate. He says they have 10 on stock usually- it's the integra and rsx battery! I also ordered the parts specific to the Zanardi like the brackets, they were all on back order... When it all comes in I will replace mine and let you know exactly how much it weighs vs the big battery I have now. With such a low cost and long warranty I will just buy this at the dealer from now on. Cheaper and better than using these Race batteries and making custom billet mounts, etc.-- I hope. Plus it will look stock.

The battery I installed is the same as the Zanardi battery. It has 13 cells, but weighs 19.8lbs (Dry), 26.9 with acid. I think its actually a rebadged (YUSA 55B24L(S)). Functionally its the same a Duralast 51-R but since the price was basically the same I went with the OEM (YUSA) battery. I bought an Integra battery plate (31521-SR3-000, $14 ) which has two studs protruding from the bottom. Drilled holes for the studs in the NSX's battery tray to keep the battery plate from sliding around and then used my old retaining bar and battery screws to hold it down.

</SPAN>
</SPAN>

That's a good idea about the plates, I wish I had a scale with me when I picked it up at the parts dept. I haven't bought it yet bc the parts were on back order so maybe I can cancel the order and look for a lighter battery if they misquoted the weight. My goal is to lose 30 lbs from replacement not 10 lbs, I don't even need to do it yet I just want the weight savings. There was a thread about this awhile back, that's how I got turned onto the Zanardi battery.

New research updated previous post. I guess the PC680 or other batteries are still way lighter at 15lbs and would give you 20lbs of weight reduction at the front vs the regular NSX battery. Howevery, 7-8 lbs can be lost with the Zanardi battery it seems and you still get a 100month warranty and a battery from Acura for only $65.

That is indeed the question we must answer for ourselves. I live in TX so CCA is almost a non factor for me and I also drive the car almost every weekend.

Have used the lighter/smaller Odyssey PC925T battery since 1997 with NO issues. (stock battery size would be Odyssey 35-PC1400). I replace it every ten years just for the hell of it. Car lives on a float charger when not in use.

Last edited:
Optima batteries aren't overrated.....they are just junk....period. I went back to NAPA batteries for all my other vehicles. They have a 60 month warranty and cost less money as compared to the Optima with a one year warranty.

I had a redtop that just went bad. It was a warranty replacement for a redtop I initially got back in 2007 (my first). When I took back the 2/2010 replacement redtop, they looked me up on the computer and said they had to go back to the original 2007 purchase date for proration. I had a $1.63 credit coming back to me. I walked out with the old battery scratching my head on that one.

When I got my wits about me (which was pretty quick), I bought a standard Interstate (Group 24F - HD) at Costco for $85. Full replacement up to 30 months, prorated after that. Only got 2 years each out of my Optima Redtops. Didn't think it was worth the extra $$...especially with the warranty drop-off.

I did however, purchase a couple of silicone potholders (don't ask) that have a waffle texture to put under the battery in the plastic box to help with the jarring...

Time will tell, I guess...

-QD

Back