• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Small Snap ring write up with pics

As some of you know Ive had trans problems for a while. Here is what I have found.

2.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg

IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

My replacement thanks to Phili (kyle)
IMG_4538.jpg

Btw I already ripped this one open and all specs are decent and will go in for the summer race reason. Next fall I will replace the blocker (syncro rings)
IMG_4539.jpg

I will write more when I have time.

hows it feel to have your destiny in your hand :biggrin:

btw did you rebuild that bad boy? or just get another tranny?

Last edited:
Rebuilding it but got another for the summer. The on thats in in right now (coming out this weekend) is getting a full cryo treatment. hopefully ready by next spring 09'

Thanks for posting these pictures. They are worth more than a thousand words and are invaluable in clarifying exactly what to do about suspected snap-ring problems.

awesome. Im glad I could help. Because before I did this for myself I felt that same way.

thats a whole lot of miles before it went. even honda's inperfections last 100K. :smile: yes we all know about the lones that last less :tongue:

What pisses me off is that it was only having slight grind problems in 3rd at high rpm. Then I switch the the GM syncro mesh coctail and the thing self distructed. I have my own theory on what went down.

Probably coincidence, unless the new fluid convinced you to drive harder. My snap ring went out at around 75,000. Acura wouldn't good faith anything, and the San Antonio service shop gave me very little confidence they could actually rebuild the gearbox. I ended up pulling it out myself, opening up the case, cleaning the gears and replacing the snap ring. As pointed out, as the mileage increases, the snap ring can fail so I figured the money I would have spent on a new case to fix the snap ring range case was money better saved for a 6 speed conversion when it fails the second time.

I have gobs of photos similar to yours, including the gearbox with the housing removed. Perhapa a collection of snap ring repair photos for the DIYer.

Miner

What pisses me off is that it was only having slight grind problems in 3rd at high rpm. Then I switch the the GM syncro mesh coctail and the thing self distructed. I have my own theory on what went down.

how you figure?

GM SM accelerates syncro wear but not sure how it would blow out your snap ring.

definitly curious in your theories. :smile:

Why do you say G/M S/M fluid accelerates syncro wear when it reduces friction to allow the xmsn gears to mesh much easier? Thus smoother shifting, less notchiness!

Cheers
nigel

fm increases friction between the worn syncros so that the gears can match speed faster.

the notch only comes in when the gears speed are not properly matched and in extreme cases we get the grind.

Try a mobil 1 synthetic engine oil with out any FM, your gears will be grinding all over the place. less wear on the syncros tho!

also FM enabled fluid is used lots for LSD. If the fluid is too slippery, the LSD will not lock and respond as fast.

counter intuative. :smile:

Cool, Now I see. I was thinking along the lines of it's inability to lock up and burn up/wear faster.
Thanks.

Cheers
nigel

Back