• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Positive battery cable...how do these go bad / get replaced?

My 1994 NSX had something happen to it that I have never seen before. I washed my car and noticed smoke coming from the positive battery terminal. I quickly removed the spare tire, and wiped all water away from the terminals. Upon inspection, I noticed there was a lot of corrosion around both battery terminals. Taking a 10 mm socket I loosened the nut on the negative terminal and removed the cable from the post. When I attempted to do the same to the positive terminal, I noticed that the 10 mm wrench was suddenly too big. It appears that the nut had corroded to a smaller size. Finally I was able to get a 3/8 socket to fit on it, but it would not turn. The bolt was not moving, so I sprayed it with penetrant and let it sit for a while. After that I then attempted to loosen the nut and to my shock the nut did not move and the circular end of the positive cable separated!! I was in shock! So now the positive terminal does not have a completed circular end, as it is 3/4 of the way separated. How does this happen? Also, how hard is this to fix? The dealership says the part is about $140, and the labor is about $240. Any help, or experiences with this is appreciated. I want to know why it happened to that I can prevent it in the future, and know how involved replacement is if I can do it myself. Thank you.

The only time I have seen a battery smoke is when it was on its way out. Probably your terminals are fine I would say you need a batter. The hood was closed when you washed it and Hand wash or pressure wash?

To do a full OEM replacment is a big job as the cable assy. runs from the battery to the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment. You can just replace the end with a cheep one from the auto parts store or get a better one at car stereo place its up to you.

My 1994 NSX had something happen to it that I have never seen before. I washed my car and noticed smoke coming from the positive battery terminal. I quickly removed the spare tire, and wiped all water away from the terminals. Upon inspection, I noticed there was a lot of corrosion around both battery terminals. Taking a 10 mm socket I loosened the nut on the negative terminal and removed the cable from the post. When I attempted to do the same to the positive terminal, I noticed that the 10 mm wrench was suddenly too big. It appears that the nut had corroded to a smaller size. Finally I was able to get a 3/8 socket to fit on it, but it would not turn. The bolt was not moving, so I sprayed it with penetrant and let it sit for a while. After that I then attempted to loosen the nut and to my shock the nut did not move and the circular end of the positive cable separated!! I was in shock! So now the positive terminal does not have a completed circular end, as it is 3/4 of the way separated. How does this happen? Also, how hard is this to fix? The dealership says the part is about $140, and the labor is about $240. Any help, or experiences with this is appreciated. I want to know why it happened to that I can prevent it in the future, and know how involved replacement is if I can do it myself. Thank you.

if you weld, you can attach a new end to the wire.

also there are easier solutions which are a clamp on the end of a circle battery post clamp.

you just clean the + lead, and clamp it in to the slot so it makes a good connection. the other end goes to the battery terminal.

wala! saved you a trip to the Acura dealer. :cool:

just replaced mine. got a dremel and cut off the old terminal, cleaned the corrision and put a new one on. only took a couple of minutes

just replaced mine. got a dremel and cut off the old terminal, cleaned the corrision and put a new one on. only took a couple of minutes

Hopefully you still have some sort of protective cover over the new positive terminal. Right?

Now I am a bit ticked off that the dealership is trying to poke me like this. I have done a lot of business with them, and you would think they would know they could replace just the end. ARGH!! :mad:

Side note....the battery itself is only a 2 year old OEM Acura battery.

To do a full OEM replacment is a big job as the cable assy. runs from the battery to the fuse/relay box in the engine compartment. You can just replace the end with a cheep one from the auto parts store or get a better one at car stereo place its up to you.

After having what I thought were battery issues and at times EPS issues, it turned out my positive cable end was getting a terrible connection and this was the issue the whole time. I did what is mentioned above and have not had any issues at all, since then!

Back