• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Whats the funniest thing anyone's said about your car?

I was driving home from a party. I was on 121 between Dallas and Ft. Worth where the speed limit is 65. I was doing 80 or so because traffic was moving fast. I go to pass in the far left lane and then I see a cop on the side of the road obviously looking for speeders. I slow down a bit, he puts on his lights and pulls me over. He asks for license and proof of insurance. While he is inspecting it, he sees I also have a Prelude and an S2000 as well. He asks "have you done anything to them?" Nope, all stock I said. "Did you do anything to the NSX?" "Not..." He cuts me off and says "Oh I know what your gunna do to it!" "Where did you find it?" "Albuquerque." "Alright, I will be right back while I run your license." He comes back a few minutes later, hand me my license and says "Alright, i'm gunna give you a warning. Slow it down for me. If I had an Acura NSX I would open it up too!" I thanked him for being nice about it and letting me off with a warning.

Went to a Cars and Coffee this morning sponsored by The Creative Workshop, (which as an aside, is a restoration shop that had some really beautiful cars in various stages of restoration, has a full trim shop, paint booth, and even a dyno - place was really, really cool with all wood floors and that "old school" look, feel, and even smell).

On the way home, a car pulled up next to me, and motioned for me to roll down the window. Guy told me "You have a beautiful car, but let me tell you, I was a Honda technician for 22 years, and I was certified to work on those. Those cars shave the tread off the rear tires. You have too much negative camber on your car and you'll wear the tires out."

I thanked him, told him I had very little toe to help with the tire wear, to which he told me "You need to go back to the factory wheels to prevent premature tire wear."

Again, I thanked him.

So, what do you all think? Is his credibility suspect considering he was driving a circa early-2000's FWD Pontiac Bonneville GXP? (Rhetorical question, does not deserve an answer. I'll just leave that here. :biggrin:)

Anyways, he got in front of me at the entrance of the turnpike and showed me how fast his car was. Of course I didn't take the bait. No need.

Last edited:
Went to a Cars and Coffee this morning sponsored by The Creative Workshop, (which as an aside, is a restoration shop that had some really beautiful cars in various stages of restoration, has a full trim shop, paint booth, and even a dyno - place was really, really cool with all wood floors and that "old school" look, feel, and even smell).

On the way home, a car pulled up next to me, and motioned for me to roll down the window. Guy told me "You have a beautiful car, but let me tell you, I was a Honda technician for 22 years, and I was certified to work on those. Those cars shave the tread off the rear tires. You have too much negative camber on your car and you'll wear the tires out."

I thanked him, told him I had very little toe to help with the tire wear, to which he told me "You need to go back to the factory wheels to prevent premature tire wear."

Again, I thanked him.

So, what do you all think? Is his credibility suspect considering he was driving a circa early-2000's FWD Pontiac Bonneville GXP? (Rhetorical question, does not deserve an answer. I'll just leave that here. :biggrin:)

Anyways, he got in front of me at the entrance of the turnpike and showed me how fast his car was. Of course I didn't take the bait. No need.
Sorry to say, he is absolutely correct. I have about 2,000 miles on a fresh set of rear tires. After replacing my wheels, I had the tire shop flip them. The outer edge which used to be the inner edge is worn down substantially. It is no secret that the Nsx chews up tires like crazy.

Last year I entered my car into a car show in L.A. called "Street Wheelers". That's Lethbridge Alberta if you did not know. At this show the city actually closes down the main street to allow all of the cars to parade while the spectators watch on the sidewalks and roads. Anyhow, there were probably 500 cars at this show and I was the only NSX at this show. Lets just say I got lotsa lovin' from the visitors. After the car show I went for dinner with my cousins. My cousin's daughter is about 17 and she got a text from one of her friends that said they went to this car show and they saw a whole bunch of cool cars. So my cousin texts him back and asks him which car was his favorite? He texts back and says that his dream car was at the show and it was the blacked out NSX. So I'm sitting beside her and I say well lets send a picture of you in the car back to him and ask him if this is the car. He flipped out. That was soooo funny.

Pulled up to my Mom's place in my 92, her neighbor was walking by.. "Look at my son's car, isn't it nice? Believe it or not it's a Toyota!"

Guy watches my wife and I pull into a cruise night... lots of cars everywhere..... runs up to us all excited.... such a cool car... you made my night!! when I first glanced .. I thought it was "only" a Ferrari!!!

my evening was made

Sorry to say, he is absolutely correct. I have about 2,000 miles on a fresh set of rear tires. After replacing my wheels, I had the tire shop flip them. The outer edge which used to be the inner edge is worn down substantially. It is no secret that the Nsx chews up tires like crazy.

Yeah, I am aware that negative camber can prematurely wear out the inner edge of a tire. The NSX problem with rear tire wear had to do with toe-in. The guy was telling me that NSXs tear up tires and that I would wear out my tires because of too much negative camber, not because of excessive toe-in.

Yeah, I am aware that negative camber can prematurely wear out the inner edge of a tire. The NSX problem with rear tire wear had to do with toe-in. The guy was telling me that NSXs tear up tires and that I would wear out my tires because of too much negative camber, not because of excessive toe-in.

The Honda tech was right, but so were you. In fact, it was both the significant toe-in and the softer rubber used in the rear tires than in the front tires that contributed to the "premature" tire wear reputation and the ridiculous class action law suit in the US. Of course, both aspects also contribute to NSX's world beating handling (in a 1990s world) and are not deficiencies in any sense.

Large amounts of negative camber will also wear tires faster since the tire is being loaded more on the inside of the tread rather than the load being spread over the entire width of the tread.

Last edited:
Guy stops at a light and says "My buddy has a car just like yours. Are those headlights off a Celica?"

I was speechless. What do you say to that??

At the gas station on Saturday the clerk who is older than I asked, "is that an original?" I replied with yes, " it was the first year." So, we started talking and I told him the new Nsx is due to drop and has 3 electric motors in it. He replies, " why didn't they just have tesla build the damn thing then!"

- - - Updated - - -

Last year I entered my car into a car show in L.A. called "Street Wheelers". That's Lethbridge Alberta if you did not know. At this show the city actually closes down the main street to allow all of the cars to parade while the spectators watch on the sidewalks and roads. Anyhow, there were probably 500 cars at this show and I was the only NSX at this show. Lets just say I got lotsa lovin' from the visitors. After the car show I went for dinner with my cousins. My cousin's daughter is about 17 and she got a text from one of her friends that said they went to this car show and they saw a whole bunch of cool cars. So my cousin texts him back and asks him which car was his favorite? He texts back and says that his dream car was at the show and it was the blacked out NSX. So I'm sitting beside her and I say well lets send a picture of you in the car back to him and ask him if this is the car. He flipped out. That was soooo funny.[/QUOTE

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, sorry I was not trying to make it seem as if your post was ignorant. I was just adding my own commentary.

- - - Updated - - -

Guy stops at a light and says "My buddy has a car just like yours. Are those headlights off a Celica?"

I was speechless. What do you say to that??
I'd of said, they are from an 86 Corolla that I pulled from a junk yard.

Last edited:
Yesterday I drove the NSX to the municipal gym around lunchtime. The rec center is next to a middle school's ball field.

There were about a dozen 10- to 12-year-old kids, both boys and girls, walking near the field. One yelled out "Excuse me, sir, what kind of car is that? Is it a Corvette?"

I replied "It's an Acura - an Acura NSX." Kids say "Nice car!" and "Thanks", and from one of the pre-teen girls, "SEXY!"

Those cars shave the tread off the rear tires. You have too much negative camber on your car and you'll wear the tires out."

So, what do you all think? Is his credibility suspect considering he was driving a circa early-2000's FWD Pontiac Bonneville GXP? (Rhetorical question, does not deserve an answer. I'll just leave that here.

The Honda tech was right, but so were you. In fact, it was both the significant toe-in and the softer rubber used in the rear tires than in the front tires that contributed to the "premature" tire wear reputation and the ridiculous class action law suit in the US. Of course, both aspects also contribute to NSX's world beating handling (in a 1990s world) and are not deficiencies in any sense.

Large amounts of negative camber will also wear tires faster since the tire is being loaded more on the inside of the tread rather than the load being spread over the entire width of the tread.

My understanding was that the '91 thru '93 cars suffered from this excessive rear tire premature wear because of the rear alignment settings from the factory, but they altered this setting on the '94 & newer cars because owners complained too much. The original settings were for optimum handling, but Honda caved into customer whining. It was also stated that simply setting the early cars rear wheels to dead zero, like the '94 & on cars, "cured" the wear "issue"...but at the expense of handling.

If this is true, I'd rather the original settings in favor of better grip...tires be damned, because, face it, tires are a consumable resource on the car. If you're complaining because you don't get "X" so many miles out of your NSX tires, like your (insert name of whatever mundane car you can think of here), then you really can't appreciate your NSX for what it is...a performance exotic car.

YMMV...

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago, it as a nice afternoon so I took the targa top off and went for a cruise. I was stopped at a light and the guy in the lane next to me was hanging out his window, looking the car over as thoroughly as possible. Then he turned to me and gave me the thumbs up and said "Iron Man!". It took me a second to realize that he was referring to the Avengers movie when Tony Stark was driving the NSX :smile:

now that you've confessed , do you feel better?:wink:

A couple recent quotes

Guy driving Ford Focus:

I love you car man! I've never driven one but let me tell you something, that thing will handle like its on rails!

Me: Thanks for the tip!

Pulling into a restaurant with a mountain bike on the back:

Guy

I have never seen a Corvette carrying a bicycle thats awesome!.

Me: You still havent!

Great thread however while I can understand that people will look and comment about the NSX in most countries it doesn't happen here in Japan. I have driven my 91 NSX for over 8 years in Japan and no one has commented on the car. At car events it's popular but not on the street so it is fun to hear all your comments. You can be sure that here in Japan people purchase their cars for love and not to show off to the locals. It ain't gonna happen here.

Shortly after I got my car I had a new set of tires installed and brought it into my local wheel alignment shop. The owner of the shop takes a look at the "A" on the front hood and comes out with 'So what's this, an Audi?'
O...kay

What an A-hole...

A-okay....

old man in a Camry rolls down his window, "Daddy bought you this car..." I was like "no...." ; he said "Nice car" rolls back up his window.

A old Camry (again) next to me starts revving at me. I didn't bother to look. After they pass me, I realized they were both in their 70s at least.

In fact, it was both the significant toe-in and the softer rubber used in the rear tires than in the front tires that contributed to the "premature" tire wear reputation and the ridiculous class action law suit in the US. Of course, both aspects also contribute to NSX's world beating handling (in a 1990s world) and are not deficiencies in any sense.

Such is one of the (acceptable to me but still really funny to me) ironies or oddities of the NSX when introduced as a luxury car under a marque like Acura in North America instead of the more "sports/racecar likely" marque like Honda. At the extreme, racers treat racecars pretty heavy-handedly as tools first and foremost and not as precious things to savor...in the racecar world (professional or hobby), maximum targeted performance is the goal so things like tire wear and single-digit mpg fuel economy come with the territory... I've always found it funny at what an oddball the NSX was in an Acura showroom initially...made no sense but thank God they made it...designed to have world-class performance so one could theoretically beat the snot out of it at the track and pepper the fascia/hood with souveniers in the form of rock chips all over the super luxury expensive world-class 100-stage paint....difficult egress for the casual owner or sugar daddy's girlfriend, horrible capacity/practicality, and tires initially designed for maximum performance that would be exploited by MAYBE 1% of buyers (a wild ass guess) initially...I have to assume that Honda/Acura knew of the likely tire life situation but chose to focus on ensuring superior performance reviews in the magazines in the hopes that they'd help drive sales to those who just have to have the car with the best 0-60, 1/4 mile, slalom, and skidpad times....but then be the same folk who won't accept extreme tire wear in order to have a car that COULD get those #'s. I don't know, maybe to me, "it's an Acura" is one of the funniest things ever said about my car (our cars)!

^ That's why early models are king shit in the drivers world.:biggrin: If you really want to confuse people, rock the jdm badges...

At a local show-and-shine last summer, my '97 NSX was parked with the hood open when a young woman and her 5-6 year old son came over to my car.

Boy (peering into the open compartment)- "Mommy, Mommy, this one doesn't have a motor!"

Woman- "That's because it's a solar car."

Back