• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michigan check-in & spotting by blodi pt.2

amazing....a four seat nsx....now if Lambo would revive the espada......

Yep! Scott is a bowling buddy and good car guy too. He is in the process of some windows-out restorations of some 70s GM F-body cars....

Had some time over my winter break to tackle a project I've wanted to do for a while...add red stitching to the interior as first brought about by Dawk's DIY a while back. Did the french seam that runs from the console to the dash and then to the doors. Took about 10 hours total. The biggest PITA was around the gauge cluster, the thread kept getting caught on the steering wheel and stalks. Came out looking great though. I think it looks better in person than the photos look. Hope everyone else had a good holiday!

IMG_1582 by blodi, on Flickr
IMG_1583 by blodi, on Flickr
IMG_1584 by blodi, on Flickr

Wow that looks amazing! Looking forward to talking with you on how you did that process. looks like painstaking work.

Looks great! I'm not sure I'd have the patience for that; good thing my interior stitching already matches the exterior color of my car :). I got in some wrenching over the holidays as well, getting a set of Bilstein shocks installed. With the nice weather, I even got a chance to try them out, and very happy with the result. Ride quality is still Michigan acceptable, although slightly firmer, particularly so at low speeds (<25mph around my neighborhood). Although my car didn't drive badly before, the shocks did seem worn out (very slow to return to their rest position after stroking the piston).

Next up is a crank pulley replacement and axle rebuild.

Happy New Year to you all!

Looks great! I'm not sure I'd have the patience for that; good thing my interior stitching already matches the exterior color of my car :). I got in some wrenching over the holidays as well, getting a set of Bilstein shocks installed. With the nice weather, I even got a chance to try them out, and very happy with the result. Ride quality is still Michigan acceptable, although slightly firmer, particularly so at low speeds (<25mph around my neighborhood). Although my car didn't drive badly before, the shocks did seem worn out (very slow to return to their rest position after stroking the piston).

Next up is a crank pulley replacement and axle rebuild.

Happy New Year to you all!

Bilsteins are a great upgrade! I used them for years before I went to KW's. I too noticed a nice improvement over stock.

That crank pulley is fun...here was my setup for taking it off. She's torqued good! It'll sound like a shotgun going off when the bolt finally loosens.
DSCF3345 by blodi, on Flickr

Did I not show this to you guys? Sorry. This is something that I asked Csaba to do to hopefully be shown at NSXPO last fall. But many of the fan boys didn't like it, apparently, although it seems to me pretty much 100% praise

Well, it was the first time I saw it, having missed NSXPO last year.

The car was praised for sure, a couple of the writer's driving skills.........maybe not so much ;^D

Brian

Exactly. There was a nice tie in with NSXPO 2014 as well, as the second crash happened in exactly the location we were driving in the Hocking Hills

Dave had told me about it and I saw it around time of NSXPO 2014. I think it was quite accurate and shouldn't have offended any of the NSX fan boys.

Uh, and speaking of the Hocking Hills (I privately told Brian and Dave about this), I learned a valuable lesson there -- don't ever drive at anything near 10/10ths on a public road. Aside from the skidpad with Brian at NSXPO 2013 and the local shopping mall on a number of rainy nights well after closing time where I was getting a feel for my new NSX's limits, I've never had the rear end come around on me. Well, I got a bit overenthusiastic in the Hocking Hills and experienced some "rear end activity" that fortunately didn't result in a spin but it sure felt like that was a possibility. Now whether the NSX saved me (and itself) or I reacted appropriately under the circumstances I don't know since it all happened so fast. Csaba didn't say anthing about the handling of our cars that isn't true IMHO. Once she starts to come around you better recognize this right away and be very quick with your hands. I don't trust myself to be that quick or recognize with 100% accuracy in the heat of the moment what is about to happen so no more trying to keep up with Dave in the Hocking Hills for me.

Now, having said all this, you guys/gals should watch that Hungarian (subtitled) video. It is posted somewhere on Prime (Totalcar if I recall correctly). I have noticed in the dry that when car gets close to the limit the rear end speaks to me -- I feel a little wiggle coming from rear (the car's, not mine) as the limit is approached. The fellow who did the Totalcar video mentioned something along these lines -- it is worth watching just to see how the subtitles translated what he was saying. You will know it when you see it. Hysterical.

Who is going to EST-FEST this year? I was talking to Rob Magro today as well as Bram and I am definitely going this year -- I'll skip my annual bicycle event in Kentucky for a change!

Best,
Jeff

GREAT video with Csaba Csere! Nice work, Dave.I also don't know why the fanboys wouldn't have liked that review, it was spot on accurate. I will never go 10/10ths in our car, especially on public roads OR even on a racetrack. It just isn't worth it to me.I can get enough giggles just driving either of our cars.I need to look up when Est Fest is, for sure we are in.

GREAT video with Csaba Csere! Nice work, Dave.I also don't know why the fanboys wouldn't have liked that review, it was spot on accurate. I will never go 10/10ths in our car, especially on public roads OR even on a racetrack. It just isn't worth it to me.I can get enough giggles just driving either of our cars.I need to look up when Est Fest is, for sure we are in.

Cindy, agreed on the 10/10ths -- lesson learned fortunately w/o any real consequences.

Dave, hope to do a back to back drive of my car and yours in the spring with respect to the shocks -- glad to hear you got this done.

Best,
Jeff

Sounds like fun, and very close to home - I'm definitely interested. For those that have been in the past, what does this weekend typically consist of? Scenic drives, concours, etc? Other than the track event on Friday, there's not a lot of detail in that thread about the weekend.

Back