• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michigan check-in & spotting by blodi pt.2

Was a quick ten years!

Ten years ago I joined NSX Prime. Looked in without registering for two years prior to that.

It's been a great ride and I've met great people :smile:

When I registered here I had just cemented the deal on this, which appeared a couple weeks later on April Fool's Day!

- Never driven an NSX
- Never seen Imola Orange Pearl in person
- Sat in a 2002-newer NSX just once, and barely fit
- Never driven a six speed
- Had not driven a manual in way too many years

^^^ Wow Neal, how is it that I've not seen those delivery pictures before?

Congrats, and thank you for helping us become NSX people too!!!

Brian (& Judi ;-)

- Never driven an NSX
- Never seen Imola Orange Pearl in person
- Sat in a 2002-newer NSX just once, and barely fit
- Never driven a six speed
- Had not driven a manual in way too many years

Neal, did you ever finally get a driver's license? Can PM me the answer so as to not incriminate yourself.

Really glad your naturally good taste steered you towards an NSX! Meeting you around 2011 and keeping in touch during my hunt definitely had a part in steering me where I landed with mine. Congrats on your aNSXversary!

^^^ Wow Neal, how is it that I've not seen those delivery pictures before?

Congrats, and thank you for helping us become NSX people too!!!

Brian (& Judi ;-)

Thank you Brian.

That's awesome Neal!

Thank you - seems like the NSX bug has poked you deep. :eek:

Neal, did you ever finally get a driver's license? Can PM me the answer so as to not incriminate yourself.

Really glad your naturally good taste steered you towards an NSX! Meeting you around 2011 and keeping in touch during my hunt definitely had a part in steering me where I landed with mine. Congrats on your aNSXversary!

Perhaps we could see your white virgin over this-a-way sometime this summer? You throw out a date or two, we'll try to put some NSX's out there with you for a drive and/or meet. P.S. I am set to be re-tested at the driving school on April 1st. I am studying hard.

April Fool's Day 2005

^^^ ^^^^^^

March 2005: After cutting a deal for an NSX color combination I had never seen, a car I had never driven, but knowing I could fit in it, it showed up after awaiting enclosed transport shipment from the San Jose, CA, area several weeks later, on . . . April Fool's day! In (where else?) a local church parking lot. We live on a really busy road so the nearest prudent place to see a huge orange tractor-trailer hatch a little orange coupe was there. Honestly, I was sort of out of it from first seeing it, through unloading it, signing receipt for delivery of it, and the transport rig (Reliable - the BEST!) departing. THEN it began to sink in. What did I do? Was this whole expenditure wise? Shouldn't these funds have gone into the college fund or retirement stash? What happens if or when this or that happens? Whoa! Crap, what if?

Well I nursed it home, believing it would certainly bust the tranny if I exceeded 4 K rpms. That GM 3.8 liter V-6 Gran Prix I had been pushing was a fine engine but it never exceeded about 4 K rpms. Shift this dude, its screaming! 3-4 more gears remain? Sh*ttin me. A BIG adjustment from driving USA iron.

A few random pics to show that this turned out O K. And I've met some SUPER people as fellow-owners! :biggrin:

:smile:

Congrats on 10 years Neal! I'm coming up on 9 years next month myself! Time flies when your having fun, eh?

Mr Loveland picked up my red rocket Sunday. The fuel pump took an inexplicable dump over the winter (only 2 years old), so it should be in and out before the potholes all get filled. I'm enjoying the Z in the meantime whenever nice weather pops up...like today.

Yeah guys, time sure does fly.

IIRC it'll be 7 years for our red car in June ;^D

Brian

It's was great to finally get the NSX out this past weekend, after another long winter!

Tackled a lot of service this winter (due to procrastination, much of which took place in the past week or so): clutch master/slave cylinders, ABS high-pressure hose and bleed, Bilstein shocks, fuel filter, crank pulley damper, rebuilt axle, coolant hoses, and trans and engine oil. Wow!

One thing I still need to have done is an alignment. Anyone have any recommendations for a reputable shop in the area?

We need to organize a SE MI meetup. Toledo C&C in May?

Last edited:
That's a healthy list Dave!

I'll be back on the road this week. My car had a quick trip up to LoveFab here the last couple weeks since the fuel pump decided to quit randomly. Cody doubled checked my tune on the dyno and the results were much better than it's ever been on his heartbreaker dyno. I'm ready for summer now!

Dyno41215 by blodi, on Flickr

Wow, Ryan! That's more than double the output of mine, which dynoed at 250 hp at NSXPO last fall (which, by the way, was the highest output of any naturally aspirated NA1).

But I was sold on your car's horsepower last summer, when you pulled away from me so dramatically on US23 it was as though I hadn't yet hit the gas.

Congrats Ryan, those are amazing numbers! I got back from Istanbul couple weeks, I had time to have coffee with prime member MASTAF on my visit to Istanbul. He dalies his nsx, almost 20 years of ownership.

Decided to meet with local Facebook group for a drive from Brighton to Chelsea. The group is majority BMW owners but they welcome other makes. I decided to take my Nsx on the 45 mile journey through the back roads, I had a great time until one of the radiator lines under the passenger seat busted. Had the car towed from Chelsea to my home, will be getting it fixed in the next couple of days

- - - Updated - - -

Neal did you ever go to a 300zx meet about 8 years ago in Dearborn? It was held at Dearborn High parking lot. I remember 2 02+ nsx that showed up. Blue and Imola orange, I don't know why but it just hit me today.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear that, Hass! One of the main radiator hoses in the center tunnel? I just got finished swapping out the six main coolant hoses this past weekend. Make sure you have some silicone spray to lubricate the new ones, otherwise they're impossible to get in place! And while you're in there, you might as well replace all the hoses (in the center tunnel there are two main ones to the engine and one that goes to the heater core). Feel free to PM me if you need any advice.

I echo Daves comments. Do em all otherwise you'll just be chasing leaks all summer. I did all 20 odd hoses a couple summers ago....not the must fun project in the world but worth the peace of mind.

Looks like a fun drive other than that! Let us know if there are any other group drives like that that we might be interested in. Looking forward to getting some seat time here soon!

Neal did you ever go to a 300zx meet about 8 years ago in Dearborn? It was held at Dearborn High parking lot. I remember 2 02+ nsx that showed up. Blue and Imola orange, I don't know why but it just hit me today.

I remember that day, it was my Dad's LBBP that showed up and I went with G35 coupe. Wow, that was 8 years ago? Time sure does fly.

If you decide 18/19, let me know. Have 2 sets and need to sell one. 1 set is new, never mounted with new tires

Thanks for the feedback guys, ordered the complete hose kit from SOS. Doing a couple of more maintenance while we have the car up on the lift.

any options on ball joints locally instead of shipping the control arms to Steve in Cali?

Jorligan 18/19 I can't do :( too many pot holes and bumps in the area

any options on ball joints locally instead of shipping the control arms to Steve in Cali?

Not that I'm aware of.
I had Steve do the lower rear ball joints on the purple car, and they are first rate......
Maybe while it's in the air shop for an exhaust system with a little more zing? ;^D

Brian

Nice! You're gonna like that exhaust upgrade.

Ryan, Glad she's back home. Have you thought about taking it to Milan?

I did a few years ago back when it was "just" supercharged and had "only" 431rwhp. Best I mustered was a 12.1 @125.5. That was with a missed 1-2 shift. It was my 2nd time ever going to a drag strip and my first time with the NSX and at that track.

Now I'd probably get booted for not having a roll cage after one pass.

old video....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwM0zZ-lQKo

Back