• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do people think of the FJ Cruiser?

I test drove a regular FJ yesterday and I thought the drive wasn't too bad. These trail team package ones are going to be maxed out at 3400 of them. The dealer I went to happened to have 2 (1 manual and 1 automatic) of which the manual was sold. The automatic was in the process of being sold with the buyer getting his financing application started. I could've bought it still since I was ready to go but I decided to let him have it.

I really do like the look of this but as someone mentioned, the gas mileage isn't that great and I am not planning to go off roading too often.

For someone who mentioned the Land Rover Defender. I hear about that car non stop from my brother who wants one real bad. The prices on those are pretty high for such an old car.

I'm going to go test drive a Mini Cooper S on Monday to see if that will interest me. I know it's kind of opposite ends of the spectrum but my only criteria is I need to be able to put a bike rack on the car and it can't be too boring to drive.

Matt I drove both. Mini Cooper S > FJ

The Land Rover Defender sucks! Unless you are prepared to ride your bike home from the dealer a lot while it is in for repairs, don't do it.
I have a trailer hitch mounted bike rack. It goes on and off in a minute and keeps the bikes away from my paint.

I've owned two Defenders. Currently use my '95 D90 as a daily driver. In about ten years of ownership, I've never had anything besides routine maintenance. Yeah, they aren't cushy haha, but they sure as hell hold thier value.

I always liked the FJ Cruiser's look. I have never seen the interior but I always thought an all black car with black rims would be cool and just evil looking.

I have heard they were underpowered and gas guzzlers...since I haven't done too much research don't know how true that is or isnt.

The all black ones were sold in 2007. Limited edition TRD's.
I looked for one of those but I couldn't find one under 50k miles.

The 08 trails team I found had 17k miles.

The all black ones were sold in 2007. Limited edition TRD's.
I looked for one of those but I couldn't find one under 50k miles.

The 08 trails team I found had 17k miles.

I considered (half heartedly) getting a black one and getting the roof painted. I've never seen an all black one, nor knew they actually made them that way. I'd much rather have the FJ than the H2 or H3, I suppose those just seem played out to me. FJ seems more unique to me.

Thanks Russ for pointing that out.

I remember seeing something back then about this topic. I found the thread again. Apparently, there was a correction stating that premium was not needed.

Premium-vs-Regular.jpg

A couple of my friends have them and I drove it for a very short while

It guzzles gas at an alarming rate if you drive it aggressively, and even if you don't it still drinks fast.

The rear space is actually very small for a car of its size.

Offroading capability will flatter you and give you a "go anywere" feel coupled with a build that's so rigid, it really does seem to be indestructible.

The fun factor is very high in this car. You can fit some aftermarket intakes and you'll be laughing your head off at the exhaust note. It just simply has a weird adventurous hooligan atmosphere to it that's just awesome.

It surprisingly attracts a lot of female attention. I don't know if you'd want that or not but you should keep it in mind for your purchase.

Overall, I personally would not go for it. As great fun as it is, I don't want to support these huge environmentally ruthless offroarders. It's the era of cutting CO2 emissions.

I've bought a brand new silver one in 2007.
I love the simple guages/controls. Retro.
First thing to do is change rear differential fluid....some went bad.
Otherwise I've had no problems.
Just changed plugs/brakes/tranny fluid for first time.
I alternate between premium and mid range fuel, but my max highway mpg is around 20.
Blind spots a problem.
Currently 80k on mine.....I'll get 250k.
Good luck....
Brice

fjcruiserforums.com

reviving a dead thread.....I remember seeing this car and this thread, but never seen this Trail Team edition anywhere til' now. Recently, I found one by accident.............Sandstorm Trail Team Edition. All I have to say is, I love it! Takes me everywhere....even in a secluded fishing spot. The only complain I have is the power steering is a little on the light side comparing to my X5.

Matt? you found one?

I've been contemplating a different daily driver since I need something that I can put a bike rack on.

In any case, I wasn't very fond of them due to the color scheme and them having the white roof with odd colors.
Although in 2007, they did have a TRD edition which gave it a black roof.
For 2008, they are coming back with a new edition called Trail Teams package and I think this may suit my needs.

I am definitely digging this

2008-Toyota-FJ-Cruiser-Trail-Teams.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with this car?

I used to have that one. I traded it in for a 2013 all grey trails team one.
Still love it. Can drive it anywhere and not care

It isn't as bad as everyone made it to be. Gas mileage is about the same as my X5. the only issue is....I seem to be at Loew's or Home Depot a lot and hauling things back

Back