• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What car were you GLAD to get rid of?

Interesting discussion over in the Ferrari chat room in response to this question: What car were you most happy to get rid of?

Nobody, incidentally, mentioned an NSX!

For me, it was a 1987 VW Jetta. It always ran too hot, body parts were constantly falling off, it would stall for no apparent reason, the electrical system was messed up, and it would honk whenever it felt like it -- especially, it seems, when I would be sitting behind some tough guy at a traffic light. To tell you how bad the Jetta was -- it was worse than the AMC Pacer I also owned!

How about you? What car were you so happy to dump that you popped open a bottle of bubbly?

I thought the Ferrari Chat guys were loco till I figured out the posts are bottom up
wink.gif

I feel very lucky and fortunate to have owned and driven the cars that I've had. I didn't get my own wheels till my junior year in college, so cars have always been special to me. I remember yearning for the day when I could hop in my own car and go wherever I wanted to, without depending on other people or public transportation..

It's a tie between my old 89 Lincoln Continental and my 92' Lexus LS 400.

The Lincoln cost me so much and broke down so often I litteraly abondoned it downtown St. Louis but no charity would take it. I eventually fixed it up and sold it to my insurance guy. I spent over 7k in 6 months before I sold it for $1400.

The LS400 was breaking me to. Let's see: AC, Differential, both visors fell in our laps, shocks, computer panel (could no longer read the clock or the climate controll, tie rod, gas door, keyless entry, hood shocks, etc, etc, etc.). That and the labor rate and shop time from the dealer was outragous. Glad to dump that beast.

Best car?

NSX has had the LEAST problems of any used car I have ever owned.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

1975 Chevy Monza w/V8

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

'77 Buick LeSabre, '80 Buick Regal, '84 Mercury Cougar - 3 way tie for biggest POS!

A 1982 Isuzu I-Mark diesel. A whopping 51 horsepower! Wonder how much of that was to the wheels.
smile.gif

'58 Fiat Multipla!

(I'll bet no one remembers that weird car)

'64 Mercedes 220 ALWAYS in the shop (It was my Dad's actually and it was in the shop so often the owner of the repair shop gave me a job (I was in college)!!

I'm still celebrating that I got rid of my '94 Ford Ranger, what a piece of junk (two transmissions, radiator, radiator fan, radiator fan clutch, thermostat, freeze plugs, head gasket, oil pan gasket, rear main seal, differential cover...).

Heck, I don't think it would have ran right if it wasn't leaking so much oil.

Hands down. It waas my 86 Chevy Celebrety Eurosport wagon. I got it at auction for a winter beater and kept it 8 miserable years. I always complained to my friends about it, but for some reason just held on to it. And, it wasn't that it was worn out. It was an unpleasant car even when new. I replaced it with a Subie that is so much better. Almost as nice as the NSX....... but not quite
smile.gif

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

78 Dodge omni. I think dodge used a VW motor for the car back then. You've come a long way baby!!

Originally posted by Leeps:
For me, it was a 1987 VW Jetta...it would honk whenever it felt like it -- especially, it seems, when I would be sitting behind some tough guy at a traffic light.

Almost died laughing thinking about scenarios for this one!!

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
I thought the Ferrari Chat guys were loco till I figured out the posts are bottom up

PHOEN$X, you are so funny -- but I know exactly how strange this is. There was actually a thread put up by the webmaster about a month ago to solicit opinions as to whether they should change the order to make it "right side down." Alas, I got there too late, and it was decided to leave it the way it was. Hmmph!!

Regards.

Originally posted by Vytas:
A 1982 Isuzu I-Mark diesel. A whopping 51 horsepower! Wonder how much of that was to the wheels.
smile.gif

ouch! an I-mark...... diesel at that... i got an 89 Geo Spectrum, same thing as an I-Mark, but mine is the 4-banger (78hp so they say....) they make a turbo version of that POS too 110hp...so they say....

gotta fix tranny in it now... 3rd and 4th gear shaft outta alignment...

------------------

No Curves, No Challenge....

Any idiot can drive fast in a straight line...

Originally posted by burnmacs:
'96 3000GT VR-4

I had more go wrong in 40k of that car than I want to remember.

Hmmm...my 66k mi '95 (SOHC) Stealth has been the most reliable car for me (knock on cyber-wood).

What kind of problems with the VR4?

My uncle has a '95 SL and it hasn't had any major problems yet. (Yes, I know the VR4 is AWD and twin turbo as well.)

A 1994 Chevy Corvette. It was a rattle king. Everytime I went over a bump something new would rattle. The hardest riding car I ever had. I have driven a C5 and they are worlds apart from a C4 vette. Not even like driving the same car. The C5 is a vast improvement.

Have to be my 1998 BMW 740IL. I had a love/hate relationship. It was a beautiful car, but a bit too big for me and my wife.

I am glad to get rid of it before I lost more money on that car (bought new and lost more than 60% of original price). Also, I finally got to have my NSX!!

1.JPG

3.JPG

Back