• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Factory stereo IPod integration, Plug-n-Play - GromAudio

So I decided to bite the bullet and get this IPod integration unit off Ebay and I must admit I couldn't be happier so far. I just got it in last night, but the results are excellent.

http://gromaudio.com/compatibility.html#acura

grom_ipod_small.jpg

Installation was pretty straight forward, entirely plug and play and the unit itself I just double sided taped right behind the stereo. One plug goes into the factory 8 pin CD Changer control, the other plug goes to your IPod.

Sound quality is night and day difference from the old tape adapter that I was using before. I'd say its CD quality but honestly it is the best I've ever heard the factory Bose sound. I was actually amazed at how much fuller the sound is.

I purchased the Honda/Acura MBus version off Ebay for $69.99 but it turns out that the plug was incorrect. You actually need the 8 pin circular plug, so I emailed Grom Audio and they sent it to me for $2.50, no biggy (be sure to request this when you order it). My only regret is that I wish I would have ordered a black Ipod cable as opposed to the white one that came with it (I guess you have to special request it).

You can control track forward/back, search forward/back using the factory stereo controls. Also, it doesn't lock out your Ipod, so you can browse and go to different playlists in your ipod if you want. It also charges your IPod when in use (it basically charges all the time, even when you turn off the car and remove the key)

I'll post some install pictures here when I get home. Just thought I'd share my experience and let everyone know.

Sounds pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Do you have any of the back of the OEM radio prior to connection?

I'm interested in this item, but didn't get any hits on an eBay search. The Grom site lists Constellation Car Audio in Garden Grove under distributors. Any SoCal NSXers know of them?

-Randy

Hey Randy,
Do a search on Ebay for:
ipod digital acura

I can't remember what I took, but my 1995 had the 8 pin plug on the back.

Anyway, the product is shipped from San Mateo, CA.

i am also thinking of install ipod in my nsx. my 6 cd changer doesn't sounds very good when the car is moving.
if i buy a nano, how can i install it into my car? what kind of accessories do i need?

****UPDATE: New faster install method outlined thanks to NSX GT!****

Method #1 (NSX GT's method which takes 15-20 min)
Step 1: Must remove three rear interior panels behind the driver's seat. The best way to explain this is "Drew's" way:

to remove the interior driver rear quarter panel:
1. pull top , rotate back and remove top long piece that goes along the bottom of the rear window.
2. pull out the driver side cover panel (you have apparently already done that).
3. use a light rag, fit rag behind the hatch window release handle....pull back and forth...like you're trying to clean behind the handle....at some point you will catch the metal clip and the handle will come off.
4. pull up on the rocker panel bolster (the thing behind/around the gas door release knob). You don't have to pull off the knob, easy enough to work around it installed.
5. pull away the fuzzy door lining
6. remove the three screws

the CD DIN is the bottom of the two DIN connectors (the other is the OEM phone)

You'll also have easy access to the center console so you can tuck wires in/under/along the side of the center console.

Step 2: locate the two 8 pin connector as shown below with my chicken scratch:
DSC01409.JPG

Here is a closer shot and disconnect the lower one as shown with an arrow.
DSC01411.JPG

This is what an 8 pin connector looks like for the CD player. Gromaudio connector looks exactly the same. Just disconnect CD one for the adpater one.
DSC01412.JPG

Now use velcro or double 3m tape and mount the converter to the ECU metal box as shown:
DSC01416.JPG

Now hook all the connections and plug in your IPOD to test it first. Turn on stereo to CD mode and play your IPOD. If you can hear your IPOD music, your good to go. (OUCH, who's that ugly dude in the reflection?)
DSC01417.JPG

Now you need to figure out how you want to route the wire. You'll also have easy access to the center console so you can tuck wires in/under/along the side of the center console.

I decided to route the wire under the center console and up through the coin tray to hide the wire. Final results looks like this:
DSC01418.JPG

Now your updated on technology and no more CD's. I also disconnected my antenna since I won't be needing the radio.

------------------------------------------------------------

Method #2 (My method which takes ~1 hour)

Ok, so here's some of the pictures.

1) Back of the stock stereo after removed:
The 8 pin plug you use goes in at the bottom right.
2003725748827327325_rs.jpg

2) The Grom unit and plugs it comes with:
IMG_0489.jpg

3) The unit opened up:
IMG_04911.jpg

4) The unit installed, double sided taped to the back. You can see it on the right behind the climate control:
IMG_0496.jpg

5) Plugged in and testing it out. This is how it operates. You change tracks using the stock unit, but the Ipod remains unlocked so you can browse all your songs and change playlists:
IMG_0492.jpg

6) Fully installed:
IMG_0497.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Adrian!! Those pics help out. Looks like an easy plug-and-play install.

I might have to get that adapter. And I don't even have an iPod yet. :D My Alpine changer has been skipping something fierce lately, and it's making me think about going with something mp3/iPod based.

Wow, that is quite impressive! I purchased my 96 NSX-T about a month ago and absolutely love it. Now I need to do something with that factory stereo and I believe you've provided me the solution in your thread.

I do have a few questions (because I am a stereo idiot) and hope you have a few minutes and can help me out.

-Ordering
1. I went to the link you provided [http://gromaudio.com/compatibility.html#acura].
2. After clicking on "Products" on the upper banner, I chose the "IPOD Digital interface" (pic was the same as the one you pasted onto your thread).
3. At the bottom under "How to order:" I click on the hyperlink "IndashPC.org" and it takes me to [http://indashpc.org/new/ipod_adapters/index.html].
4. Now, if I'm not mistaken, I want to order the last kit offered "GROM for iPod Adapter for Honda/Acura"? If I click on this hyperlink, it takes me to [http://indashpc.org/new/ipod_adapters/grom-ipod-mbus.html].
5. This should be the kit I order - "GROM for iPod Adapter for Honda / Acura(GROM-IPOD-MBUS)"? I do see the one description bullet which states "-Honda/Acura 92-05", just want to make sure though.

Also, how easy was it taking apart the dash and removing the radio in order to get to the 8-pin plug? Did you have instructions?

Thank you,
jeff

Last edited:
Wow, that is quite impressive! I purchased my 96 NSX-T about a month ago and absolutely love it. Now I need to do something with that factory stereo and I believe you've provided me the solution in your thread.

I do have a few questions (because I am a stereo idiot) and hope you have a few minutes and can help me out.

-Ordering
1. I went to the link you provided [http://gromaudio.com/compatibility.html#acura].
2. After clicking on "Products" on the upper banner, I chose the "IPOD Digital interface" (pic was the same as the one you pasted onto your thread).
3. At the bottom under "How to order:" I click on the hyperlink "IndashPC.org" and it takes me to [http://indashpc.org/new/ipod_adapters/index.html].
4. Now, if I'm not mistaken, I want to order the last kit offered "GROM for iPod Adapter for Honda/Acura"? If I click on this hyperlink, it takes me to [http://indashpc.org/new/ipod_adapters/grom-ipod-mbus.html].
5. This should be the kit I order - "GROM for iPod Adapter for Honda / Acura(GROM-IPOD-MBUS)"? I do see the one description bullet which states "-Honda/Acura 92-05", just want to make sure though.

Also, how easy was it taking apart the dash and removing the radio in order to get to the 8-pin plug? Did you have instructions?

Thank you,
jeff

Jeff,
I ordered mine from EBay (do a search for IPod Digital Acura) and I ordered the Honda/Acura 92-05 one that was listed as MBUS and the plug was incorrect. I was told that I should have asked specifically for the 8 pin circular plug to fit a 1995 Acura NSX when I ordered it (this is in the Paypal special instructions).
You can email [email protected] for more info. I was corresponding with a guy named Dmitry. I'll drop him an email and ask them which model you guys should order exactly.

Glad to hear that there are more options available now!

I have had the USA*Spec adapter for several years in my NSX and my Legends (same adapter) and have been VERY happy. It works much the same as the GROM audio unit.

The USA*spec comes in two flavors. The standard one has 2 separate stereo RCA inputs so you can hook up two different audio devices to the factory stereo. If you have a non-iPod music player or other device such as video or sat radio this is ideal. The other is an iPod specific unit has an iPod input and one stereo RCA input.

Here's a photo installation tutorial that I posted here several years ago:
http://www.legendtuner.com/LEGENDtuner/upgrades/iPodNSX.html

It should be applicable to pretty much any adapter installation including the GROM audio unit.

The advantage of the GROM audio or the USA*Spec iPod-specific unit is that you don't need any extra cabling to hook up the iPod. However if you ever decide to get a different non-iPod audio device or if Apple changes the design of the dock connector then you are stuck. My installation with the standard USA*spec automatically powers up the iPod when you start the car and the iPod automatically pauses and then powers down when you turn off the ignition.

For those with iPods who have not yet integrated then into your NSXs or who are using FM modulators or tape adapters you are MISSING OUT! The hardwired adapters make an UNBELIEVEABLE difference in audio quality!!!

I just installed the USA Spec piece in my trunk the other day. It took all ofabout 3 minutes! I just unplugged my factory CD changer cable, plugged in the USA Spec adapter to that cable and hooked up my iPod to the USA Spec. I tucked the USA Spec under the CD Changer - it fit perfect. :)

Will this unit work with the iPhone? I know that when you try to plug in an ipod type adapter, I get the message "This adapter is not compatible with this iphone" message on the iphone itself... altho most of the time it works... any ideas? Thanks!

Will this unit work with the iPhone? I know that when you try to plug in an ipod type adapter, I get the message "This adapter is not compatible with this iphone" message on the iphone itself... altho most of the time it works... any ideas? Thanks!

I have the same unit in my Mazdaspeed3 and we tested it out with my gfs Iphone this weekend. Yes, it comes up with the message you state, however it does work without any issues! We listened to it all the way back from Vegas.

Adrian, thanks for being the guinea pig! I ordered the Grom Audio unit from eBay and specified the MBUS adapter. It works great with my iPhone (the message does appear, but does not seem to affect performance).

For those considering this device: Remember, when it comes to installation, you do not need to remove the remove the center console to access the DIN CD connector. Just do what drew suggested and plug it into the CD connector behind the drivers seat. It literally took me 10 minutes to remove the panels, plug in and mount the Grom unit, and reinstall the panels. Although plugging it into the back of the head unit works just as well and although I've removed center consoles plenty of times, I don't like messing the whole deal (armrest, vents, clock, etc.) unless I have to.

Also, I think you can request cable in white or black - to match your interior or iPhone/iPod.

to remove the interior driver rear quarter panel:
1. pull top , rotate back and remove top long piece that goes along the bottom of the rear window.
2. pull out the driver side cover panel (you have apparently already done that).
3. use a light rag, fit rag behind the hatch window release handle....pull back and forth...like you're trying to clean behind the handle....at some point you will catch the metal clip and the handle will come off.
4. pull up on the rocker panel bolster (the thing behind/around the gas door release knob). You don't have to pull off the knob, easy enough to work around it installed.
5. pull away the fuzzy door lining
6. remove the three screws

the CD DIN is the bottom of the two DIN connectors (the other is the OEM phone)

So does this unit means you loose the CD changer?

The product description says it's for Acuras as early as 1992. Can somebody confirm that the stereo system in my 1991 is the same as a 1992? As soon I can get this answered I'm ordering!

So does this unit means you loose the CD changer?

Yes. You give up the CD changer.

The product description says it's for Acuras as early as 1992. Can somebody confirm that the stereo system in my 1991 is the same as a 1992?

I can't think of a reason it shouldn't work on a 1991. The head unit is the same part number. I think the omission of 1991 is probably just an oversight on Grom's site (I've seen the same thing on other specs of other audio adapters).

If I do drew's method of the 8 pin behind the driver's seat, can I get a long enough wire to route it under and through the coin tray or center storage console?

If I do drew's method of the 8 pin behind the driver's seat, can I get a long enough wire to route it under and through the coin tray or center storage console?
Yes, the included cable is long enough to reach the coin tray.

BTW: There's more than enough room to mount the adapter near the TCS unit (the big silver box under the top rear panel). There's room behind it (#12) as well as next to it (between #12 and #13).

Attachments

• 13sl00_b1302.gif
    13sl00_b1302.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,353
Adrian, thanks for being the guinea pig! I ordered the Grom Audio unit from eBay and specified the MBUS adapter. It works great with my iPhone (the message does appear, but does not seem to affect performance).

For those considering this device: Remember, when it comes to installation, you do not need to remove the remove the center console to access the DIN CD connector. Just do what drew suggested and plug it into the CD connector behind the drivers seat. It literally took me 10 minutes to remove the panels, plug in and mount the Grom unit, and reinstall the panels. Although plugging it into the back of the head unit works just as well and although I've removed center consoles plenty of times, I don't like messing the whole deal (armrest, vents, clock, etc.) unless I have to.

Also, I think you can request cable in white or black - to match your interior or iPhone/iPod.

+1. Your 100% correct about the easy 15 min install from start to finish. I did the Drew method behind the driver's seat panel.

Thanks to you and Drew for the hot tip. It sounds awesome with the IPOD.

+1. Your 100% correct about the easy 15 min install from start to finish. I did the Drew method behind the driver's seat panel.

Thanks to you and Drew for the hot tip. It sounds awesome with the IPOD.

Hi

I am not sure if I will go for this Grom or the other one which I can't remember the name of at the moment. But where do you guys have the Ipod situated? Edit:Neo Ipod thingy

I would like to have the Ipod in the "glove box" between the seats. I am not sure if it is best to hook this or the other device behind the driver's seat or to the stereo.

I will be taking out the stereo and the AC modul as I will have to change some bulbs on the AC. I will also take out the stereo and hook a SOS stereo thingy on to it.

So please advice where should I put the Ipod box thingy?

Regards

Last edited:
Awesome link! I wish I would have known about that method! I'm going to update my post with this link & method if that's ok. . .

Not a problem, I'm glad to help. BTW: thank you for introducing the IPOD adapter to us. Also thanks to "Ojas" and "Drew".
If you don't want to expose your IPOD, just use the IPOD shuffle with 1-2Gig memory and tuck in under the center console and use the OEM CD command mode button.

DSC01421.JPG

Last edited:
Back