• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AVOID Ryan Friesz aka rf5000

I purchased a set of four wheels and tires from Ryan, with the following description:
Ryan Friesz said:
They Are In Excellnet Condition With Only A Few Chips And Scratches. The Tire Have Deep Tread.

The wheels were described as being in excellent condition, which implies they're superior to average condition. Also, Ryan increased his original asking price by $200 when I contacted him via PM, as he said there was a great deal of interest for this item. Normally this would raise red flags, but it was still a good price for excellent-condition wheels, so I sent him a paypal payment.

I paid for the wheels, and they were shipped promptly, but when two of the four arrived (the other two are still in the mail, apparently), they were in terrible shape, with the paint flaking off of both wheels in several places, several scratches, several chips, and significant curb rash on both wheels - the rims require immediate reconditioning, and are in below average condition - certainly they don't match the description, which doesn't mention the flaking off paint (in several coin-sized sections), or the curb rash, which is several inches long on both of the two wheels I have received.

I contacted Ryan right away with my concern, and two possible solutions - either I would send the wheels back for a full refund, or we could split the cost of reconditioning to get these wheels into "excellent" condition. Note, the "split" cost to recondition these wheels would have been the same amount as the increase Ryan added into his asking price. I felt either of these resolutions would be fair, but also expressed my preferred resolution would have been a full and hassle-free return.

He replied stating the wheels had been sold "as is", which they had not, as he never mentioned this prior to my expression of dissatisfaction with the wheels, and then said we simply had a disagreement over what the term "excellent condition" meant; here is his exact quote:
Ryan Friesz said:
I am sorry my friend. To me they are in good shape. they are not bent, cracked, etc. I guess we have a different opinion

Notice how he now downgrades the condition from "excellent", to "good" - apparently "superior" condition wheels, being in excellent condition, only means they are not bent or cracked. He then suggested I sell the wheels to someone else with the same description, to recoup my costs that way.

I responded with the following:
You feel "excellent" condition wheels have curb rash, scratches, and flaking paint in several areas? Would "good" condition wheels have bends? Average condition wheels would be missing only a few spokes?

To which he responded with a PM suggesting I "bite the bullet" on these wheels, and provided the advice:

Ryan Friesz said:
I take a chance and buy something for a good deal without seeing and sometimes I win and some times I don't.

So even by his own admission, he says the sale of these wheels was a "losing" proposition, due to his misleading and dishonest description.

I should have stopped dealing with Ryan as soon as he started playing with his asking price, as this was the first sign of his manipulative tactics. His attitude and selling practices are very misleading, and dishonest, and his unwillingness to provide resolution is alarming - I would recommend all members of nsxprime avoid doing any sort of business with Ryan; there are plenty of other good, honest, nsx owners here that this community doesn't need to deal with Ryan or his patched up 2002 nsx in any capacity.

I sold him my steering wheel. I never mentioned including the steering ring, and he never asked. I would imagine 99% of people selling a steering wheel wouldn't include this, since it is used with any aftermarket steering wheel with a horn or cruise control buttons. Anyways, he thought he was doing me a favor by only requiring I refund $50 on a steering wheel I sold to him for $150. Looks like he's going to get a taste of his own medicine when I tell him that he's not getting any refund.

Back