• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX is not a supercar for jay leno.

While I am a big fan of Mr. Leno(and his garage) I disagree w/ his opinion that the NSX isn't a supercar from Japan. Maybe not compared to todays cars, but definitely for its time.

Well, he made a valid argument. The Supra, 3000GT, R32 GTR, Rx7 and 300ZX came out at around the same time if not before, and made close to the same hp and performance figure. Are all of these considered super cars too?

The only edge the NSX had was exclusivity, design refinement and the MR platform (which all are very good edges). I believe these cars set the bar, and so can be considered super (as he stated), but some of them, such as the 3000gt is now where near super car status in terms of design and dare I say the Supra was blandly designed too, and was really the last one to hit. The Rx7 and 300zx are a bit more refined in their own way, but the NSX of course is still on top. Either way, these cars all performed closely, but it was the personal form that set them apart.

Either way, they all could have probably made much more hp, but thanks to the gentlemen's agreement, none them really made much more than 280 hp, which was kind of disappointing. I believe though, that Jay should have admitted that it took almost another decade for other car companies to catch up to this ~300 hp league/ and other aspects that the japanese "super cars" set.

The NSX was flawed in not having enough HP (even after 15 years on the market) and now the GTR is flawed by not having a clutch pedal and shifter. Let's see how long it'll take them to get a 6MT, if ever. Can't these Japanese engineers get anything right? :smile:

Jay Leno is certainly a car enthusiast, but his opinion doesn't change mine. Titles like 'exotic' and 'supercar' are most frequently used and created by those who don't have the chance to drive said cars anyhow.

To be techinical the NSX is an exotic not a supercar. When I hear supercar i think of CGT, F50 , Enzo etc. Exotic is hand made, looks fantastic, can go over 160mph unless its a classic. I was surprized mr leno over looked this, then again when you have 100 cars it doesn't really matter:biggrin:

If someone takes Mr Leno to the track and pushes the NSX to its limit I am sure he would agree.

Well, He said that is IS but "not really due low HP" ... I say, give him a TRUE "type-R" and i am sure he can rethink that idea, yes underpowered, but a true exotic never the less, not now in this MONSTER HP days .. but the nsx is more than proven a exotic.

OScar

To be techinical the NSX is an exotic not a supercar. When I hear supercar i think of CGT, F50 , Enzo etc. Exotic is hand made, looks fantastic, can go over 160mph unless its a classic. I was surprized mr leno over looked this, then again when you have 100 cars it doesn't really matter:biggrin:

If someone takes Mr Leno to the track and pushes the NSX to its limit I am sure he would agree.

I agree with this answer. Exotic yes, supercar no.

Well, He said that is IS but "not really due low HP" ... I say, give him a TRUE "type-R" and i am sure he can rethink that idea, yes underpowered, but a true exotic never the less, not now in this MONSTER HP days .. but the nsx is more than proven a exotic.

OScar

Cr*p i think i also without knowing said that the NSX it's an exotic more than a "supercar" ,,,.. i am ashamed i thought i was the biggest NSX fanboy ever existed ...

Non of the cars listed in the first post have"

titanium connection rods
aluminum chassis
mid engine layout
and Vtec.

enuff said.

Then again they didn't really need it either.

I LOVE the NSX, and titanium connecting rods are great and all, but that stuff gets thrown out there all too much. :tongue: Besides, an aluminum chassis didn't keep the NSX from demise.

Very cool things can be said of the other cars mentioned as well.

The FD RX7 featured a very cool ( yet immensely hard to work on ) sequential turbocharger system on a 2rotor Wankel motor in a package lighter than an NSX. Back then both Honda and Mazda had alot more heart.

Nissan had two cars on the list. The R32 should go unmentioned since its attributes have been duly noted as phenomenal.
While there is some dispute, the 300ZX is reportedly the first car to be completely designed from CAD software while Pininfarina designed the exterior. The HICAS system was also used on both the GTR and 300ZX and was either praised or punished.

Guys, his exact words are "the NSX was a japanese supercar, but it didn't have the horsepower". He never said "it was not a supercar".

Guys, his exact words are "the NSX was a japanese supercar, but it didn't have the horsepower". He never said "it was not a supercar".

Hate to agree with Silver but nowhere did Jay say the NSX was not a supecar. HP people want to say the NSX isn't a supercar but all major publications even Wiki calls it a super car.

Also on a Ferrari 348 to NSX comparison, a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds was recorded for the 1991 NSX.[7] This Ferrari level performance made the NSX known as the "First Japanese Exotic Super car".

Todays cars are just more super:tongue:

Jay Leno is a JACKASS

I disagree.

I also disagree with Mr. Leno's opinion of the NSX, but that doesn't mean he isn't entitled to it. He probably has a greater scope of reference for comparison than any of us will ever have.

The man's garage is stocked with some of the most unbelievably cool vehicles ever built.

If you don't like his comedy- I can certainly understand, but if you are a "car guy" then I have a difficult time seeing how you could not respect the man's enthusiasm.

Funny thing about this post- I have totally fip-flopped on my opinion of Leno- see my response from the first time Mr. Leno's questionable opinion of the NSX was publicized HERE

Oh dear- the hypocrisy is stunning...

P

it resides in repair shops for ~6 months a year, therefore it's an exotic

Well...not entirely...:tongue:

Apparently the Testarossa was one of Ferrari's most reliable cars, but you all know how THAT goes. :biggrin: . Makes it around the block maybe?
But you could say that about many cars. Like my Datsun! ( which is currently down for repairs and troubleshooting :confused: ).

I was making the point that they made nearly 10k of them.

Jay is speaking as an American...and horsepower is all the rage! He said that the NSX was a supercar...and it is brother! It is underpowered - especially for today's models...but the freedoms equated to driving are being withdrawn from us...the notion of having massive horsepower is senseless due to the totalitarian crackdown on speeders! One's focus should be on getting up to the speed limit as fast as possible...that way it is almost impossible to get a ticket! Thus, the NSX is an amazing machine - outside of its devastating looks and captivating style :biggrin: Go ahead and get that 800hp machine and crank it up and see how fast you can go...if you get caught...your eyes will fall out of your head when you see the ticket and the summons that will be handed to you! Alot of us grew up in the 60s - and that was a time when you could get away with anything...even driving udner the influence! Times have changed...speeding is now equated with street racing...go figure:rolleyes:

Dam:cool:

The NSX was flawed in not having enough HP (even after 15 years on the market) and now the GTR is flawed by not having a clutch pedal and shifter. Let's see how long it'll take them to get a 6MT, if ever. Can't these Japanese engineers get anything right? :smile:

GTR is flawed by its non clutch pedal and shifter??????

o really, how about F430, Enzo, FXX. they were built with no CLUTCH pedal. even the track version gallardo is E gear!!!
Modena Challenge is non clutch pedal.

GTR is flawed by its non clutch pedal and shifter??????

o really, how about F430, Enzo, FXX. they were built with no CLUTCH pedal. even the track version gallardo is E gear!!!
Modena Challenge is non clutch pedal.

How many of you actually drive your car hard enough to experience the potential benefits of a paddle shifter? I didn't know F1 drivers posted on NSXPrime. Most people buy the car to drive it for fun and shifting gears while stepping on the clutch is a lot funner than tapping a paddle and stepping on the gas. There are a lot of debates about driving the GTR is not as fun as a manual C6 (or any manual sports car) and I can understand that. I can understand that in high traffic areas and daily driving through them would make an automatic more appealling. Eventhough the GTR is designed to be DD, how many will actually be DD?

I'm not bagging on the GTR, I'm just saying they should have offered a 6MT version like they do with the G37. They should have took some dimensions and weight off too and it would be a perfect 2+2 then. I was just saying the GTR is not perfect and neither is the ZR1, NSX, R8, 911 or any other popular car that is likely to be mentioned among these discussions.

"...But what about in 1990? Was the NSX ever a supercar? Of course I spent way too much time thinking about this.

First of all, since Evo brings it up, how did the NSX compare to a Ferrari in 1990? It was pretty slim pickings back then. There was the Mondial, the 348, the Testarossa, the F40 – and that’s pretty much it.

Where would the NSX slot into that lineup? First of all, we can toss out the Mondial, which was decidedly not a supercar. Then looking at the vitals (engine, horsepower, 0-to-60 time), the NSX (270 horsepower, V-6, 6.2 seconds) matched closest to the 348 (300 horsepower, V-8, 5.5 seconds). Factoring in chassis construction, handling and the other elements that have become important to our modern evaluation of supercars, the NSX would’ve easily outpaced the 348 and performed close to the Testarossa (400 hp, V12, 5.3 seconds).

What’s interesting is that Honda couldn’t have found a better time to release the NSX. Other than the Ferraris, the rest of your supercar market in 1990 looked like this:

1. De Tomaso Pantera
2. Lamborghini Diablo
(We’re done.)

If we extend our time frame to 1994, then we can throw in the Jaguar XJ220, the Bugatti EB110, and the McLaren F1. But still, how many supercars are we talking about? Eight?

That’s it, eight supercars.

Even if you lumped the NSX at the end of the list, it would still be one of the top 10 wedge exotics, which should’ve cleared it for supercar status in 1990. And this was before you put the cars on the track, where the NSX would have smoked all but maybe three of them."

source:
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/05/02/some-supercar-thoughts/#more-96

Where did they find a 6.2 sec 0-60 NSX that's a full second off it's normal times:confused:

Even auto are generally clocked at 5.6-5.8

Number fudging?

Anyone notice that our all-American car enthusiast car guy that probably owns a few Porsches pronounced the name "porsh"??!!!! Holy Cow man!

Back