• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Engine Cover Refurb

I did an engine cover re-do, after getting the dreaded bald spots in the textured finish of the stock cover.

I used Krylon wrinkle finish to re-do the engine cover.

Here's what I did:
- used a wire brush to remove 90% of the black texture.
- used 60 grit sandpaper on a 3.5x9 orbital sander to get the finish down to the cover's plastic.
- used 100 grit to give it a smoother surface.
- painted the cover with Krylon Wrinkle Finish paint.

Tips:
- The rubber gasket comes off quite easily.
- Removing the screws for the prop rod and the prop rod storage clip will likely require using a philips head impact screwdriver. Easy to mess up the screw heads, so use an impact tool.
- The wrinkle finish is rather finicky. The directions say to put it on thick. They mean it. I actually did this three times before I was happy with it. It does not like to go on in thin layers. For it to wrinkle it needs to be thick, almost thick enough to be running, but not quite.
- Spray the paint on with extremely accurate and slow passes. It's easy to see "lanes" of paint, as you can see in the reference photo of the finished product. I did the recommended heavy coat followed by heavy coat five minutes later.
- Heat helps the paint wrinkle. I did mine outside in the hot Florida sun, and it seemed to have helped.
- It will take around three cans of the paint to get the wrinkle finish.

Here's the finished product; if you look closely you see there are a few spots that need a thicker cover; I'll do that when I get a chance.
http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=33822&ppuser=13387

133-3390_IMG.JPG

Last edited:
Wow That looks pretty good. Definitely a viable option other than replacing/removing the cover all together.

You can re-flock your engine cover yourself. It is fairly easy and should be done OUTSIDE on a calm day.
-Remove the engine cover from the car and remove the rubber seal. As above: use a wire brush and sandpaper to remove old/loose finish.
-Use the undercoat adhesive and soft flock to re-finish your engine cover.
-I would order the 3oz. bag of flock, or 6 of the 1/2 oz. bags. (you don't want to run out of this after applying the adhesive!)
-Mask off the area where the rubber seal attaches along the edge of the engine cover.
-Use a small paint roller to apply the adhesive and the spray gun to apply the flock.
-Just follow the directions printed on the spray gun canister or on the undercoat can... i can't remember which label has the instructions on it...
-You can even change the color of the flock if you choose. Be sure to order the same color adhesive and flock fiber.
-Here is the page with the Flocking Equipment:...http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(category:Flocking)

Last edited:
Oh man! That looks WAY easier!!!

Back