• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

We can't be alone in the universe ...can we?

I was just wondering what all of your views on the alien subject are. I think it's very close-minded of us to think that we could be the only life forms inside this insanely, incomprehensibly gigantic universe. What do you guys think? Are we alone? Hate to sound nerdy, but have any of you ever had an experience first hand?

oh yeah. several encounters. there was actually even a pattern.

it happened back when I was younger. I'd wake up and feel really groggy and couldnt remember everything that had happened in the past 24hrs. My body didnt want to respond and could barely move.

Finally, when I could get my arms to move I'd slowly inch up and pry my eyes open one at a time. On one elbow I'd glance around the murky cloudy room until I noticed, right there next to my naked violated body....
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!
There she was!!! AN ALIEN!!

Luckily, the abductions ended right after I met my wife, well, anyway, pretty quickly after we started dating.
wink.gif

Now thats funny...........Did you ever have to chew your own arm off just to get away b/f they woke ?

Hey Breck, car show comin' up at Bartle. You in.

Oh, don't buy the little green men stuff, but I do like the x-files.

LOL... huckster... just as well u didn't get impregnated.
tongue.gif

Midnight Hour: while u hate to sound nerdy, i dont want to sound like a religious nut... but i think Aliens & supernatural are tied in together.

I dont believe there are 'aliens' as we might think (like 'little green men' or from Aliens
wink.gif
) ...but looking at the FACTS, there is definitely a lot of weird/unexplained stuff that goes on.

i have a serious prob with the idea of aliens from space coming to visit us: There's never been any reported sightings of UFO's coming into our atmosphere, yet there are THOUSANDS of ufo sightings!

When u think about the vastness of space, and the incredible complexity of our planet it's life, it is very easy to say "there must be something else out there". But life is so complex and interlinked, it's quite possible that there is nothing else out there. The conditions for life have to be JUST RIGHT.

When u look at our planet, life and the universe, so many things work so well that it HAD to be DESIGNED that way. An NSX didn't come into being because Honda waited millions of years.
smile.gif
That means we had to have a creator. That means God must be real. (whether we wanna believe it or not). And that explains why there's supernatural stuff... which again links back to 'Aliens'.

Scientists want to attribute the Pyramids & even US to being created by Aliens... only coz they don't want to believe that God made us. So in answer to your question: I think No, we're not alone in the universe... but we are if we're looking for space brothers/sisters.

*phew* long post... sorry abt that. that was an ultra-condensed insight into Neo's mind though... hope this doesnt start a flame war. (take a 'chill pill' b4 posting
smile.gif
)

just to balance my last post out... my favourite movie happens to be ALIENS, and i love sci-fi and stuff... so in theory i should believe in ufo's, aliens, conspiracy theories and stuff... but what i've come to believe is from facts i've seen in action.

BTW, i hope it was ok to post a serious response... hehe...all the funny jokes r flying.
wink.gif

<FONT SIZE=1>

[This message has been edited by NeoNSX (edited 31 January 2003).]

I think that there's other life out there, intelligent or not, we may never find out.

I don't think the universe as we call it will be proven or understood until we have a perfect understanding of both science and religion, and thats not going to happen in our lifetimes. Maybe not even as a race.

Like Carl Sagan wrote in Contact, if we're alone then the universe seems like an awful waste of space.

Of course, my friends and relatives have called me an alien and a freak for years.. so it must be true. I'll be signing autographs at the next big meet and will hand out a bunch of free alien antenna balls to everyone.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sunny

When u look at our planet, life and the universe, so many things work so well that it HAD to be DESIGNED that way.

Of course, somewhere in some far off galaxy, Mirg is talking to Vandu and saying...

"You know Vandu, when you look at our planet and the 1000 degree heat, and sulfuric acid pools and methane atmosphere, it's just amazing how it all accomodates our life. It's just like it was DESIGNED to be that way."

It's silly for us to think that over millions of years of evolution to think that we wouldn't be uniquely suited to our home planet. Of course we are...we evolved on this planet.

You're just thinking about the issue bassackwards.

I suspect life is a fairly common event in the universe.

-J

I agree with the above post. Who's to say that 'life' on another planet doesn't need water or oxygen to survive? They could have a totally different need for life to relish.

Brandon

Yes. We are alone.

This is what we know and it has never been disproven. Aliens and other "life" outside of earth seems to be a scientific matter. No religion in the world makes any attempt at addressing it and this issue doesn't require the need to exercise faith. I don't see any connection between the two. Evolution vs. Creation. Who's side are you on? That's for you to decide.

Personally, I don't give a hoot if there is life out there.

If there is life out there, we had better hope it doesn't find us. Think how thinly populated the universe must be. Our EM radiation is just a big sign shouting 'hey guys, food over here!'

The idea that any species advanced enough to cross space is going to be friendly is absurd. Everything we know about nature and everything we know about hisrtory tells us that advanced cultures wipe out primitive ones. Even in the insect world, there is a clear trend that social complexity leads to more efficient predation. If somone visits us from space, they will almost certainly see us as a resource to be exploited.

The only way that wouldn't be the case is if something had evolved far enough past us to put aside fear and ignorance.

Although I am sure anything that had accomplished that would find us pretty irritating and would probably just leave us to our own misery and stupidity.

It is a pretty safe bet that there is life of some sort away from our small area of visibility, in fact given the odds of 1 in an infinite amount of chances to have there be some sort of life 'out there', it is as sure of a bet as there is, even if it just means discovering fungus on Uranus.

I believe there could be aliens "but" if they are interested in me they will contact "me" at that time I would take the time to recipricate contact until then "if ever" let-em whirl.I'm too busy to go searching for other forms of life.
MYNSX

FOCUSED DRIVEN AND PERSISTENT
NEVER CEASING ,NEVER ENDING!!

------------------
WWW.MYNSX.COM

under no certain terms can I confrim or deny any actual reports...

however I can say that someone knows the answer to this question. (Is there life beyond earth or are we alone?)

Yes

If it sounds cryptic...it's supposed to be. There are things that go one under your very noses that 99.99% of the global population has no idea about. The knowledge is here...the answers are here. Whether you have the privelege or curse to know them is another question.

Someone once told me..."There's even more...but you don't want to know, you relaly don't" Taken out of context it sounds funny and like a put-on. So take what I say witha grain of salt or for what it's worth.
smile.gif

unofficially I believe in life other than what we "know" of. Officially, I have to say I have seen/heard/etc. no evidence.

weeee how fun to speculate huh

Originally posted by David:
If there is life out there, we had better hope it doesn't find us. Think how thinly populated the universe must be. Our EM radiation is just a big sign shouting 'hey guys, food over here!'

The idea that any species advanced enough to cross space is going to be friendly is absurd.

Hey, did you guys see "Signs"? Pretty freaky huh?

Anyway, IMHO given the vastness of space and the infinite possibilities out there, life probably exists in one form or another elsewhere. The odds of it being sentient (as we know it) and/or resembling us, however, are probably slim to none. Look at the dinosaurs; that shows how different life can take shape even on the same planet! Furthermore, the likelihood that any species is going to squander the unimaginable resources required to cross space just to conquer another planet, let alone develop space faring technology advanced enough to traverse the universe, is probably even smaller.

Now, if you guys want to talk about alternate/parallel universes, that might be a different story altogether
wink.gif

<font size=1>

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 01 February 2003).]

Originally posted by scottjua:

unofficially I believe in life other than what we "know" of. Officially, I have to say I have seen/heard/etc. no evidence.

weeee how fun to speculate huh

Just out of curiousity ...what's your profession?

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Of course, somewhere in some far off galaxy, Mirg is talking to Vandu and saying...

"You know Vandu, when you look at our planet and the 1000 degree heat, and sulfuric acid pools and methane atmosphere, it's just amazing how it all accomodates our life. It's just like it was DESIGNED to be that way."

It's silly for us to think that over millions of years of evolution to think that we wouldn't be uniquely suited to our home planet. Of course we are...we evolved on this planet.

You're just thinking about the issue bassackwards.

I suspect life is a fairly common event in the universe.

-J

I have believed the premise of this statement all my life. Life more than likely exists elsewhere, its just not like the life here on earth. For that matter life here on earth has also gone through several changes itself and will continue to do so in the future.
BTW, I have an alien schedule to be on my door step on Monday. A 3 gig Alienware that is. The waiting is killing me.

I think my favorite comment regarding this question goes something like; "how arrogant we'd have to be to think we and we alone exist in this boundless universe".

Lots of space, lots of matter, lots of possibilities.

Our space program has always deserved more $$ more attention in my opinion. What a sad day yesterday was for us all. My wife said it best. She was glad it happened on reentry instead of blastoff--they all made it into space.

Originally posted by Midnight Hour:
Just out of curiousity ...what's your profession?

by trade...a nerd behind a computer making web graphics, presentations, videos, etc... currently for a large government contractor. It's tons of boredom followed by the intense reward of the opportunity to learn about some very, very interesting topics of converstaion, classification, and direct/indirect information regarding many subjects.

I know that sounds strangely vague, but it's about all I can say.

Mainly it's the luck of being in the right place at the right time. At the same time having the additional luck to talk to people in various places about the events that have taken place in history and still do take place throughout the largely unpublicized world.

Midnight, you must have been watching UFO week on History Channel. There are some great UFO stories on there, really makes you think.

BTW, I think Joel is way off base here. A few centuries ago, man could have said "yes, the Earth is flat, and it has never been disproven."

HELLO!! Our technology is still in its infancy, and there's no possible way it's going to detect life on other planets given that we can't even send astronauts beyond our little moon!

Anyway, it's important to me that we find out if there's life out there, because it would fundamentally change the way we humans see the world, indeed the universe. It would go a long way towards the understanding of this bizarre universe that we live in.

Originally posted by Joel:
Yes. We are alone.

This is what we know and it has never been disproven. Aliens and other "life" outside of earth seems to be a scientific matter. No religion in the world makes any attempt at addressing it and this issue doesn't require the need to exercise faith. I don't see any connection between the two. Evolution vs. Creation. Who's side are you on? That's for you to decide.

Personally, I don't give a hoot if there is life out there.

Originally posted by NSX_Dreamer:
Anyway, it's important to me that we find out if there's life out there, because it would fundamentally change the way we humans see the world, indeed the universe. It would go a long way towards the understanding of this bizarre universe that we live in.

Well stated, NSX_Dreamer.

And the above is exactly why advanced species (aliens)would not contact us if they know we are here.In short they would screw up our natural mental and technological evolution.In effect spoiling us.This whole argument comes down to your beliefs,evolutionist or creationist,as polarizing as the abortion issue.

Back