• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are there really speed cameras operating on the Illinois Tollway?

I drove down from Wisconsin to Naperville last weekend and saw signs on the toll road warning of speed cameras. My radar detector kept going off like crazy but I didn't see anyone or anything shooting radar. It wasn't the normal falsing that you would get from a security system.

What's the story with speed cameras on the toll road in Illinois? Does anyone else have problems with their radar detector going crazy down there?

I zip up and down 294 a couple days a week and have never received a ticket. With and without NSX. Scare tactics I tell you! Too much traffic to even need a radar detector unless you are traveling at night.

I believe they are putting the speed cameras inside parked vans. I've personally never seen them but that is what I've read in the newspaper.

I go down 294 just about every weekend and see those signs too but yet to see any cameras.

I hope not! I drive in and out of Chicago a lot and never got a ticket in the mail so far. However I have seen the white van with speed camera once, but luckily read about it to know what it was.. I slowed down early enough..

Yes They are using them, although I have not seen one in about 2 months. I live right on I88 and Naperville rd.

My k40 goes nuts all the way to 294 and does not shut up. The electronic signs that give road information are giving off the k-band signal, those same information signs have the ability to display your current speed, but they do not record anything or take pictures.

Even when the Signs are not displaying your current speed to make you more aware that you are speeding, the radar on them is still on which is why there is so much radar on the highway in the construction zones.

What you need to look out for are white unmarked vans with a black box hanging off the back, or rear windows with deep tint and lights attached below them.

RADAR48(4)_t220.jpg

Beware chicago!

Places I have seen them parked...

At the end of construction going west bound I88 and Naperville Road
Entrance Ramp from I88 to North Bound 355 right on the bend past that exit, right side of road.
right after the Oakbrook Toll Booth Heading East Bound

Somewhat on topic...

All the open road lanes also have laser (lidar perhaps?). I've started to get into a habbit of slowing a bit through those. It's just a matter of time before they try to dish 'em out that way. Of course, I think that if that were to be the case, there'd be a huge amount of pressure NOT to.

The electronic signs that give road information are giving off the k-band signal, those same information signs have the ability to display your current speed, but they do not record anything or take pictures.
That depends on the signs. Most of the signs produce the K-band signal (sometimes referred to as "safety radar") but do not have the ability to measure or display the speed of cars. There are some other signs that do have that capability.

Some of the increased enforcement is related to construction zones, where workers are working and the speed limit has been reduced.

Away from the construction zones, if it's not prime commuting hours, traffic generally moves at 70-80 mph, despite the 55 mph limit.

It must have been the signs that had my detector going crazy. That's good to know. I didn't see a white van.

Back