• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front loader washing machines....need advice

Debating on whether or not to get one of these.
I've done quite a bit of research online about them and have almost convinced myself to do it but would like to hear from some others.
Maybe you can list the brand name you have and how you or your spouse feel about them.
TIA

I've got the LG Tromm's in silver.

*They are awesome*

The washer on the speed cycle can wash in 20 minutes and spin dry so fast that the clothes are nearly dry after the cycle. Pop em in the dryer for speed dry and you have a large load of clothes done in 35 minutes. No joke.

You can use very little detergent and clothes still get clean and smell great.

Just make sure you leave the door open on the washer for a bit after the cycle is done. Otherwise it can start to develop a damp smell which will wear off on your clothes.

On another note, every female that steps in the house has something to say about em. Its kinda funny.

DSC01719.jpg

Last edited:
Subscribed.

I've been wondering about these washers for a while but hadn't researched the "tech" on them.

The one thing I heard from my sister in law, an epinions super mega reporter chick, is to stay away from Whirlpool... poor quality and reliability. My parents in law got them, were scolded bad, and HATE them after 9 months...

I like LG and Bosch... can't go wrong with Bosch, German engineering!

I bought the Whirlpool Duet HT (non-steam) washer and dryer about 6 months ago and would recommend them to anyone. As mentioned before, speed is amazing and they're practically dry when they come out of the washer.

I don't have the pedestals, but a friend that does, has some issues with excessive noise/vibration. He's had Sears come look at it twice and they claim that it's well within the normal specs for the unit. I can't speak firsthand, but one aspect to consider.

I am co-owner of an appliance store and would highly recommend the whirlpool duet steam washer (WFW9600) and dryer (WED9600/WGD9600). We have sold over 150 of these units and have had a very low rate of service history on them. If you intend to position these units on the first or second level of your home they have the best suspension system on the market, which reduces vibration ( a known flaw with front load washers due to the high spin speed). The time that these units can wash and dry is amazing compared to your normal unit. We do sell all the front load models including Maytag, GE, LG, Frigidaire, Asko, Bosch, Miele, Speed Queen ect. Due to service history and trying to obtain parts for units of the LG and Bosch brands our company is almost leary of selling these units. Parts normally take a very long time to recieve due to their out of country warehouse locations. There are many other models available from Whirlpool that are also great and might fit your space or price requirements. If I was to reccomend a second choice i would have to say the Frigidaire, they are very well priced and show very little service history. If you have any questions about any of the units feel free to contact me IM.

I bought mine in 1997. Works very well & clothes come out much drier than top loading. Frigidaire Gallery. However, there is a specially shaped set of concrete blocks surrounding the drum. It has to weigh ~400lbs easy. My father & I killed ourselves getting it out of the basement last year when I moved. Check in the store that it doesn't weigh a ton so you know you will be able to move it in the future.

9 years ago, got the top of the line Maytag Front Loader, the repairman was NOT lonely. Worst piece of garbage I've ever had. Spoke to a client of mine that owns a large appliance store, does a huge business, asked him for his recommendation, he told me to get the Whirlpool that I wouldn't regret it, it's the "Duet" and I've had it for 2 years, it's fantastic. No regrets!

I am co-owner of an appliance store and would highly recommend the whirlpool duet steam washer (WFW9600) and dryer (WED9600/WGD9600). We have sold over 150 of these units and have had a very low rate of service history on them. If you intend to position these units on the first or second level of your home they have the best suspension system on the market, which reduces vibration ( a known flaw with front load washers due to the high spin speed). The time that these units can wash and dry is amazing compared to your normal unit. We do sell all the front load models including Maytag, GE, LG, Frigidaire, Asko, Bosch, Miele, Speed Queen ect. Due to service history and trying to obtain parts for units of the LG and Bosch brands our company is almost leary of selling these units. Parts normally take a very long time to recieve due to their out of country warehouse locations. There are many other models available from Whirlpool that are also great and might fit your space or price requirements. If I was to reccomend a second choice i would have to say the Frigidaire, they are very well priced and show very little service history. If you have any questions about any of the units feel free to contact me IM.

Probably better advice than I gave... now if you need to know about self defense or immigration...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you do... we're looking into front loaders too.

LG entered the US market with great features and undercut pretty much everyone else about 3 years ago. I bought their dishwasher (from Home Depot) but as I posted elsewhere, their manual sucked and their customer service and tech support was worse when it came to explaining the wiring gauge requirements. As if that goose chase was not enough, it leaked the first time we tried it; inside the door panel where the leak was showed their lack of common sense in engineering the seal! Two of the service repairs that they referred me refused to do their service because LG wasn't paying them. Otherwise it has worked well since then though I have used only 3 of the multiple settings/features.

For washer/dryer, I purchased Bosch 500 series from Lowe's at great price/rebate. You just have to time it right. Been happy and haven't used 80% of the features.

Bottom line, if you really don't need the features, don't fall for the higher end models.

I have purchased the extended warranty on all the major appliances and unlike years past, the current models and the cost for a diagnostic visit makes it worthwhile with the first use.

Rob,

If you need to do some testing let me know and I'll be happy to send you my laundry for a few months.:wink:

Doug

I throw my clothes out and buy new ones. :biggrin::wink: Just kidding.

I bought these fancy all digital top of the line machines a long time ago. They lasted 2 years and then were junk. I then bought the most simple bottom of the line machines. They have lasted 15 years.

I throw my clothes out and buy new ones. :biggrin::wink: Just kidding.

I bought these fancy all digital top of the line machines a long time ago. They lasted 2 years and then were junk. I then bought the most simple bottom of the line machines. They have lasted 15 years.

Similar here....Bought the middle of the road from Costco (725 for both) and couldn't be happier many, many years later

Wow, now I see which members of Prime wear the pants in their relationships and which ones do not. :biggrin::tongue:

I like the front loaders since they use a lot less water and have greater capacity. I would get the dryer that has the steam option since you can throw away your iron forever. The drawers underneath are cool unless you like to fold laundry on top of the units, in which case they are way too tall.

I ended up getting the Whirlpool Duet's and they are great. Uses little water and comes out nearly dry after the spin cycle. It also seems more gentle on the clothes.

I bought mine with a 5 year extended warranty just in case. No problems yet -- knock on wood. If only Honda made a washing machine....

I ended up getting the Whirlpool Duet's and they are great. Uses little water and comes out nearly dry after the spin cycle. It also seems more gentle on the clothes.

I bought mine with a 5 year extended warranty just in case. No problems yet -- knock on wood. If only Honda made a washing machine....

They make a dryer, if you're interested.

honda_s2000.jpg

It also works as a washing machine if you drive it like that in the rain.

I've got the whirlpool duets also. They work great. They're (HE) so you have to use the High Efficiency soap, which costs a little more, but everything always turns out great. No problems. Been using them about 5 years.

They make a dryer, if you're interested.

honda_s2000.jpg

It also works as a washing machine if you drive it like that in the rain.

Funny you mention it -- I have that as a 2006 model in the same color (LBP) but I use it as a hair dryer on my way to work. It dries well, but not so good for styling. :)

Bumping this thread.......

The front loader GE washing machine we bought about 4 years ago pretty much just died. It looks like the transmission is leaking and blowing oil on all the clothes. Repair guy said it's far cheaper to buy a new one than to repair this one.

Given my current lack of employment, I need to spend wisely so was looking in the circa $500 area. I first tried craigslist but most of the stuff there was ancient and many of these things only have a 10 year life span. On the other hand it seems most of the new units don't do much better. I was looking at Samsung and LG because of the phenomenal 4.5-4.9 star reviews on Amazon, Bestbuy, etc out of 50+ reviews, and the excellent LG warranty, but then searched on warranty issues and read tons of horror stories on both companies.

We don't need a zillion features, we just want clean clothes from a washer that will last. Does anybody make anything like that any more?

Back