• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Service Manager Contact at Cush Acura San Diego?

This is a true story: I twice made the mistake of taking my car to Cush Acura for an oil and filter change.

Thier "Master NSX Mechanic" overfilled the oil by 1.5 qts! I found this by checking the oil before I left. So I complained to the head service manager, who took me into his office to gab while the "Master NSX Mechanic" fixed the problem. So 30 minutes later it was "ready" again. I checked it again, and it looked exactly the same, overfilled by 1.5 qts, so I complained again. The manager checked it himself and agreed, and told the "Master NSX Mechanic" to do it right. He then took me into his office to gab some more. About 15 minutes later it was "ready" again, so he and I checked the oil, which was still overfilled!!!! The manager went ballistic on this "Master NSX Mechanic" and asked him why he couldn't do it right, and the "Master NSX Mechanic" looked at me and asked "Where on the dipstick do you want it?" as though I was the problem, not him!!! The manager was stunned! He then jumped into my car, drove it back into the bay and drained the oil to the correct level himself! On my way out he apologized, saying it's hard to get good help these days, and he then gave me a certificate for a free oil and filter change (see any irony here yet?).

Several months later I asked my wife to bring it back the Cush Acura (I always give people a second chance) for another oil/filter change, and guess what happened? Yes, it's true! The same manager and same "Master NSX Mechanic" did exactly the same thing with my wife, who kept checking the oil herself until they got it right.

She complained that this was exactly what happened to her husband (me) a few months earlier, and the manager said he didn't remember it!

Can you believe this? It's unfortunately true. In fact, the EconoLube guys do a better job than Cush Acura, with the oil mark always perfect on the upper mark (hole) on the dipstick, the first tiome, and for about half the charge of Cush Acura.

So, IMO, do yourself a favor: skip the Cush Acura service dept. They're truly incompenent.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

It was the Kearny Mesa location. The problem is that these guys (and others I've come across in the oil change industry) use a guage on a pump to guess at the amount of oil pumped (out of an oil drum and into the engine), and they just assume the guage is correct, without verificaton. They're also too lazy to check the dipstick, which is the only correct verification!

I've caught several different outfits doing this over the years, and they're usually pissed off that I founnd the problem and that they have to drain the oil, becuase it gets all over thier arms and makes a mess. They often make excuses not to fix it, like "Overfilling doesn't hurt the engine", until I show them the manual. Or "Overfilling isn't as bad as underfilling", like I should be happy they overfilled!

It's Murphy's Law out there, and you've got to be constantly on guard even for the simplest thing, like changing oil.

I've not used the Hoehn dealer in Carlsbad or the one in Escondido, but they may be a possibility for you, if you must use Acura.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:
Anyone take their NSX's to Cush Acura of San Diego? If so, do you have a specific NSX contact?

... this will be for an oil change and some warranty work. Otherwise it would go to Mr. Basch...

Talk to Matt or Chris at the CUSH Escondido store: 760-737-3311

You might print this thread out to show them.

There is a tech there (Duane) who takes good care of NSX's and ITR's - (like mine) When MB is off doing good deeds.
I bring my own oil - if you only give them 5 quarts, it is hard to overfill it.....
biggrin.gif

------------------
need more info? please private me @

[email protected]

Mark Johnson, CEO of Custodial Services @ Dali Racing, a Not For Profit Company.

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:
Oh crap!

Was this Cush Acura in Escondido or the one on Kearny Mesa?

Which Acura dealer can people recommend here in San Diego? (for simple oil changes and warranty work?)

I would not recommend Ball Acura in National City because of an incident that I had with them. I took my car in for an oil change last July. When it came time to pay for an oil change, I asked the cashier if they used an NSX oil filter. The cashier looked at her computer and noticed that no NSX filters had been taken out of parts. She then asked the parts guy and he knew nothing. The service representative tried to convince me that they did change the filter but I was not a happy nor very convinced customer. I will never take my car back there if I can help it. I now do all of my oil changes.

Originally posted by 5inchfatlip:
wow- crazy sotries..I plan to do all my oil changes on my own...it cant be that hard, is it???

No, it's not hard. It can be messy, though.

Some folks here do theirs using a device that pumps the oil out from the bottom of the dipstick, rather than removing the oil pan bolt; that can make it less messy.

And, of course, you'll want to find out where you can turn your used oil in for recycling.

To 5inchfatlip,
Changing your own oil is easy.
Here are some things I learned from this forum and on my own:
1. Lay four 2x4 wood pieces about 36" long, flat on the garage floor. Drive your NSX up on them. This extra 1 1/2" will give you about 6" of clearance for a standard sized drain pan. No jacking required.
2. Drain the oil when it is warm. I wait about 15 to 20 minutes after stopping.
3. Use the NSX filter wrench to remove (not install) the filter. Be prepared to have a little oil get on the metal piece just below the filter.
4. Always us a new crush washer on the drain plug.
I do not believe in pumping the oil out through the dipstick receiver. I let it drain for about 30 minutes.

Back