• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DMV: Tax, License, Registration fees, etc...

Hey,

I need help. I've been trying all day in the search forum trying to figure this out but to no avail.

I may have found the car that I want. A lot of things have been running through my head, most of which are $$$ related.

How much should I expect to fork over (on top of the price of the NSX) in added DMV costs to transfer the title over to me? I just want to know ahead of time so there will be no shocks when I stand there at the DMV office.

I'm referring to a 91 NSX from a private party sale.

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 23 September 2002).]

Joel- this is an easy one...take the purchase price of the car and times it by 8.25% or whatever county you live in ( I assume LA).....

its going to be a big amount of $$....try to talk the seller into LOWERING the purchase price on the bill of sale, this is what they work off of...

Mine said low 20's, and I paid about $1900....just to get all of it..

stay away from the DMV too, go to AAA if you can...

Joel,

joining the nsx family soon, glad to hear. Let me give you an exact number since I just gone through this last month
smile.gif

other than the tax you're supposed to pay, (work it out with the seller like 5inch said above) there are misc fees through the DMV, title transfer..etc, totaling at $178.

I went to my local AAA to take care of the whole thing, no extra fee at AAA if you're a member.

one more thing, it's seller's responsibility to get the car smogged BEFORE the sales goes through. Make sure you get that arranged. Or it's ~$50 to get the car smogged on your own.

Joel,

I had the seller put the selling price at $5000 (seriously). I don't believe in a retroactive tax, but then again....don't believe in any taxes. I only paid $400 for taxes and some other additional fees. Came out to be about $519 including my vanity plate (NSXPSHN) which I am still waiting for. Did this all at the AAA office without a problem. I had no idea I was gonna get away with it...haha. Good luck!!!

Khue

Originally posted by 5inchfatlip:
Khue- whats the plate mean?

Well i wanted to defy the old cliche that you have to be a private school Alumni or Ivy league graduate to be sucessful. I am a graduate of CSULB (took 6 years to finish college after being kicked out of the first one...haha) and I want to get a CSULB Alumni license plate frame. The vanity plate NSXPSHN - if you sound it out its "an exception". SWEET!!!
smile.gif

Originally posted by 5inchfatlip:
its going to be a big amount of $$....try to talk the seller into LOWERING the purchase price on the bill of sale, this is what they work off of...

You mean on the bill of sale, instead of putting the exact amount of the vehicle price, I can put "X" amount of dollars instead?

Are there any legal implications to this? What if the seller and I get caught (How are we even going to get caught)?

as long as both seller and you agree and stick to the 'sell' price, no one will find out
smile.gif

most sellers wouldn't mind and is willing to help you out, because either way, they will have their money.

Right on silverone...most sellers I talked to were cool about it...I wish I had gotten mine lower, but I didnt want to go too far...

the blue book on mine was almost 40k and purchase price we put was in the low 20's...didnt want to much of a gap..

That sucks. Thank goodness we don't have to pay sales tax on private party sales in Arizona!

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 24 September 2002).]

Originally posted by Joel:
I knew there was something good out of living in AZ.
biggrin.gif

+no front license plate
+tons of parking
+no earthquakes
+cheap gas & cost of living
+you have to drive
wink.gif
everywhere!
-too damn hot
-no beach
-lack of culture/ethnic foods
-highest auto theft rate
frown.gif

-not many NSXs as California!

Joel, which car are you looking at?

Don't worry too much about "bill of sale". I don't know of anyone that puts exact sale amount. Just make sure it's not too much below the market value.

Jay

Joel, seriously just on the bill of sale you can put down as much as you want. Seriously my friends in high school use to do it all the time especially when racing we actually raced for pink slips and so we just made bill of sale for $1!!! DMV use to get all crazy and pull out a blue book and show you the value, "This is the price of the car in Kelley's Blue Book." We would nod, smile, and say thanks and that's it. They cannot seriously do anything. Getting caught? It's less of a risk than it is to speed through Cerritos, home of the newest Krispy Kreme. Joel, good to hear you've found your car. I'm still being patient....hehehehe...looking for the perfect one for me. 5inch, give me a call sometime, I have some stuff to tell ya.

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
+no front license plate
+tons of parking
+no earthquakes
+cheap gas & cost of living
+you have to drive
wink.gif
everywhere!

Okay, you suck. However, I took the front license plate off of my 240sx years ago and I've never been pulled over. Is this even a required law in CA?

-too damn hot

Hell ya it is! (no pun intended). That's the only reason why I keep refusing invitations to visit family in Phoenix during the summer time.

-no beach

I wouldn't worry too much about this. Once the "BIG ONE"(earthquake) hits, California will be wiped off the map and Phoenix becomes beach-front property!

-lack of culture/ethnic foods
Man, I wouldn't know what I'd do if I didn't have Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Greek and Filipino food readily surrounding me.

-highest auto theft rate
frown.gif
IN PHOENIX? IN PHOENIX! In Phoenix.

-not many NSXs as California!

Okay, I'll give you that one.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 26 September 2002).]

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
Yes, in Phoenix:

http://www.nicb.org/pdf/hotspotsrankings.pdf

Believe it...we ARE next door to Mexico, after all.

Ouch! Is there an implication there somewhere?
wink.gif

According to that list, L.A. doesn't even come in until #23! I would have thought that it would rank in the top ten.

And Sacramento in 5th? Cow-Town?!

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 27 September 2002).]

Originally posted by SilverOne:
as long as both seller and you agree and stick to the 'sell' price, no one will find out
smile.gif

most sellers wouldn't mind and is willing to help you out, because either way, they will have their money.

Guys, you think this would still work if the sale were done through a dealer? Or you think this is too much of a risk of getting caught! (Because I know dealers will not fib for you).

See, the owner made an arrangement with a dealer he's getting his new NSX from. He transferred the title to the dealer, whereby putting it as "downpayment" for the 2002 NSX. That way he can get the car sooner. Anyway, no loss on my part because the dealer is selling it to me for the exact same amount as the agreed upon price I had with the private seller.

You think I should still try it or should I not take the risk and just put the exact amount I paid for it? (I'm gonna lose so much money
frown.gif
) I don't even know if the DMV will get a hold of the bill of sale before I do. Would they?

Originally posted by Joel:
Ouch! Is there an implication there somewhere?

Only in that it's harder to track a stolen car across country borders than it is cross state lines, so thieves go for the easy getaway. No insult meant toward our Mexican neighbors.

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 02 October 2002).]

Joel,

the only thing I see is whether a dealer is willing to 'work' with you on the amount to put down on the bill of sale. That was part of the reason that I chose to buy from private party instead of a dealer.

on a car that cost ~30k, tax comes to ~2000 easily, so, you need to figure that into the TOTAL purchase cost of the car. This is up to your own decision, and your bank account on what to do.

good luck.

Back