• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can anyone recommend a reputable place that does smog checks?

Where did you get yours done at? I took mine to Shell on Jamboree in N.B. today and the mechanic was horrible. He couldn't get the car to run at appropriate RPMs or whatever the hell they do, and he told me to take it to another shop. This was after he left grease all over my interior!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad:

I took it to a Smog Only Test Center. I've taken my daily driver there before and the guy is REALLY COOL!

He likes NSX's so bring it in.
I'll post the address later when I find it. It's in Buena Park.

This story is not related to where you should take your NSX for smog, but it is kind of funny.

I took it to AJ in Long Beach for smog last week. The tech opened the hood and looked around. He went back to his tool chest and got a flash light and looked under the hood more. He then proceeded to the trunk and look around again. Afterward he got down to his knees and looked at the underside of the vehicle with his flash light. I thought that he was looking for a spec. sticker of the car. After another 5 to 10 minutes of looking, I walked over and asked what he was looking for. Very interesting answer, "Is it an electric car ?" Well, the rest of the story was to open the engine compartment and showed him where the engine was.

Taj said:
This story is not related to where you should take your NSX for smog, but it is kind of funny.

I took it to AJ in Long Beach for smog last week. The tech opened the hood and looked around. He went back to his tool chest and got a flash light and looked under the hood more. He then proceeded to the trunk and look around again. Afterward he got down to his knees and looked at the underside of the vehicle with his flash light. I thought that he was looking for a spec. sticker of the car. After another 5 to 10 minutes of looking, I walked over and asked what he was looking for. Very interesting answer, "Is it an electric car ?" Well, the rest of the story was to open the engine compartment and showed him where the engine was.
This is funny!!

SigEpUCI,

If you are still trying to smog your car, the problem with not getting high enough RPM is because of the traction control is on. When the rear wheels are rolling and the fronts are not, the TCS limits the RPM. Make sure you turn "off" TCS to run smog test.

How do I know? I had the same experience as Taj. First he asked me to get the front wheels on the rollers. I told him that it is not a front wheel drive. Then he ask me to pop the hood. Then I told him that the engine is not there. Then he could get the RPM up....

He is a very nice guy. Since then, I have been taking all my cars to him for smog check for $29 + cert. (with coupon from penny savers). He is on Edinger/Irvine Center Drive just West of Jamboree. Perrfect Auto is the name I think.

I did told the tech that it was a rear-wheel drive car. Yes, he had to turn the car around.

Back